Deadlift Bars

Are deadlift bars worth getting? I have heard people talking about getting 70lbs out of a good bar, but I just dont see how this can be.

Who out there has used a texas or okie deadlift bar, how are they compared to just a regular olympic bar? How much weight are you getting out of them?

Stupid thread, but I hate to drop 280-350$ on a bar without a good bit of positive feed back on it.

At the last meet I lifted in, I set a 20 pound PR with an Okie bar. I plan on getting one, when I have a bit of extra cash. It’s too bad that they take forever to get.

Why waste money on a bar when you have all the tools you need to lift heavy weights. Train hard and you’ll be able to lift more.

how is this possible? unless the bar is flexing alot at the beginning of the lift i don’t see how any bar could make the deadlift easier.

[quote]Joe84 wrote:
how is this possible? unless the bar is flexing alot at the beginning of the lift i don’t see how any bar could make the deadlift easier. [/quote] That’s exactly what a deadlift bar does. The bar itself actually flexes before the plates even break the floor. My PR on a DL Bar was (at the time) 76 pounds more than my PR on a Texas Power Bar. It makes a ton of difference

I pull more off the floor with a oly bar then a regular cheapo walmart bar… same principal, a very whippy bar helps pull more weight off the floor.

[quote]romanaz wrote:
I pull more off the floor with a oly bar then a regular cheapo walmart bar… same principal, a very whippy bar helps pull more weight off the floor. [/quote]

So it’s probably no advantage to train with one? You’d be getting bigger numbers when training, but if you go to a meet and the deadlift bar isn’t flexy you’ll be disappointed! Better have the advantage if the meet has a deadlift bar and your lift feels easier.

[quote]Boffin wrote:
romanaz wrote:
I pull more off the floor with a oly bar then a regular cheapo walmart bar… same principal, a very whippy bar helps pull more weight off the floor.

So it’s probably no advantage to train with one? You’d be getting bigger numbers when training, but if you go to a meet and the deadlift bar isn’t flexy you’ll be disappointed! Better have the advantage if the meet has a deadlift bar and your lift feels easier.[/quote]

You have to get used to it, otherwise you won’t get anything, and it could even throw you out of your groove. That being said, it would be pretty low on my list of stuff to get for a home gym. I think there are better things to get if you’ve already got a good bar (like a texas power bar)

I dont have any good bars at the moment, just shity wallmart bars.

Im looking into getting a deadlift bar because
1, I want to pull heavier numbers
2, I would like to be used to the bar before competition
3, I would like to know where I stand before a meet, as far as the weight I would lift.

Thanks for the input guys!

I must be a moron because I have never heard of this. Makes sense though.

I think is also depends on your DL style. Personally, I pull the same with an Okie vs. a plain old Ivanko 20kg bar. But I pull with a fast start with a slow grind at the top. On the other hand, a friend that is a very technical sumo puller uses a very slow start off the floor (very upright style, uses all hip-drive to the move the bar). A shitty bar can make or break him.

Also, because a DL bar is a little thinner, you can get a better grip on it.

Knurling makes a big difference as well. I remember a meet I did once where the the DL bar was actually a weightlifting bar. The knurling on this bar was shallow and smooth- probably ok for 350lb C&Js but but not for 700lb DLs. I was told this happened at the GPC Worlds in Belgium a couple years ago as well.

All in all, I would not make the purchase of special DL bar a high priority unless you have already bought all the other toys- a good rack, a good squat bar, etc.

[quote]Uber N3wb wrote:

3, I would like to know where I stand before a meet, as far as the weight I would lift.

Thanks for the input guys![/quote]

Honestly, unless you are a DL technique wizard, I would suprised if a great bar will add more than 3-5% to your pull. You will get way more out of a good-fitting suit than a good bar.

That said, why don’t try a good bar for yourself. I don’t know where you are in FL, but there are few gyms down there that would have one. I think Tommy Fannon’s gym in Tampa has a DL bar. I would bet Orlando Barbell and Southside (in FTL I think.) also have DL bars.

[quote]Pinto wrote:
Uber N3wb wrote:

Thanks for the input guys!

Honestly, unless you are a DL technique wizard, I would suprised if a great bar will add more than 3-5% to your pull. You will get way more out of a good-fitting suit than a good bar.

That said, why don’t try a good bar for yourself. I don’t know where you are in FL, but there are few gyms down there that would have one. I think Tommy Fannon’s gym in Tampa has a DL bar. I would bet Orlando Barbell and Southside (in FTL I think.) also have DL bars. [/quote]

A 3-5% Pr on 600+lbs would be enough for me.

I would like to get a deadlift suit but I have no idea about the sizeing or what kind of suit to get. I have also heard some people pull less in a suit. So Im just not going to bother.

I was looking at tampa barbell on the internet earlier, it sounds like the gym is in his basement and that its only open for a few hours 3 days a week (which dont fit my schedule) If I found out otherwise I would be there tho.