T Nation

Deadlift: Bar Rolls Out of My Hands

Hey guys;

After posting my original workout schedule and getting chewed up about it, I quickly switched to Starting Strength. It’s been about 3 weeks and I’m already seeing some muscle/weight gains. I’m extremely happy that you guys guided, well more or less forced me into it.

Anyways, I’m back looking for some more advice. Just today I was doing a deadlift of 230, which was 10 more pounds then what I did the last time and I had absolutely no trouble. With the 10 extra pounds I got the weight up perfectly fine my first set although I felt as if the bar was sort of rolling out of my hands. I figured it was just a fluke but, from that point on it got worse and worse to the point where I had to rush the rep in fear that the bar was going to roll right out of my hands and I would drop the weights. Needless to say I couldn’t even finish the 5th set because of this.

Now when I mean it felt like it was rolling out of my hands I mean half way threw I was holding it with the tips of my fingers (felt like it rolled from the palm of my hand to the tips of my fingers).

I have an idea of what it is but first I’ll see what you guys say.

Thanks!

Sounds like a grip/forearm strength issue. Either strengthen your forearms or try a mixed grip.

Use a mixed grip, rather than an overhand grip. This will keep the bar from rolling. You should get a lot of miles out of it. Use an overhand grip when you CAN, so that you still develop your grip strength, but for max sets, use a mixed grip.

Mixed grip is your answer if you aren’t already using this.

But I believe your problem is that you have a bar whose ends do not rotate.

If the weights on the end are fixed then centripedal (maybe not exactely) force will roll the bar and you’re screwed.

Get a real barbell with ends that rotate around the bar.

Farmer’s walks.

Also x2 on mixed grip

I never lift with an overhand grip.

Mixed is the way to go.

and x2 on farmer’s walks, best thing Ive ever done for grip.

Thanks a lot guys. I googled the grips you gave me and it came up with this article, it states the exact same feeling I was getting lol.

There are three grips to use. Both overhand, both underhand, and a mixed overhand-underhand (sometimes called “offset,” “staggered,” “alternating”, or “mixed”) grip. Considering forearm strength, overhand and underhand grips still suffer from the bar potentially rolling about, which the mixed grip is capable of neutralizing, through the physics of reverse torsion. The mixed grip also allows more weight to be used for this reason.

In order to prevent the bar from rolling out of the hands, some lifters have been known to use an olympic lifting technique known as the “hook” grip. This is similar to an overhand grip, but the thumbs are inside, allowing the lifter to “hook” onto them with the fingers. The hook grip can make it easier to hold heavier weights using less grip strength, and keeps both shoulders and elbows in a symmetrical position. While it theoretically takes much of the stress off of the joints which might be created by the twisting of a mixed grip it has the disadvantage of being extremely uncomfortable for the thumbs, something which those who advocate it says will pass once a lifter becomes accustomed to it. Another, but rarely used method is a combination of the mixed overhand-underhand grip and the hook grip, preferred by people who lift heavier weights than their grip can handle, but who don’t want to rely on lifting straps or other supportive gear.

Also try some chalk. For me, having chalked hands bumps my overhand poundage up about 75 pounds.

I like the hook grip. Just mix it up from time to time. im on the taller side also and it feels good for me.

good examples of some hook grip deadlifting.

What are some good exercises to increase my grip strength?

If you have a wrist roller you can get good grip strength from that.

Shrugs, Deadlifts, Farmers Walks…and on everything you do just squeeze the sh*t out of your hands.

It’ll get better with time.

[quote]paradox321 wrote:
Sounds like a grip/forearm strength issue. Either strengthen your forearms or try a mixed grip.[/quote]

I agree with using mixed grip,
but you really need to work on the first problem,and thats grip strength

but use mixed grip untill you can death grip that bar.

[quote]Kemper1989 wrote:
What are some good exercises to increase my grip strength? [/quote]

One of the best ways is to use something that’s larger in diameter than a standard olympic bar. You can buy “thick” bars or a tube that wraps around a standard bar. Or, you can get creative. I’ve been hanging from wet tree branches in my yard lately and it’s quite a challenge. I start out on the thick part, hang for as long as I can, then scoot out to a thinner part and repeat. More simply, the best way to increase your holding strength is to hang from a chin-up bar and/or hang onto a heavy bar over the pins until you just give out. Farmers walks are a great choice too since the challenge of making it back across the room can persuade you to hold on a little longer.

Direct grip work variations are also important. You can get some Captains of Crush grippers for crushing strength, do plate holds (smooth sides out) for pinching strength. Rollers and wrist curls for wrist strength. Etc.

One caveat: It’s very hard to bring your grip strength and endurance up to par with your deadlift potential. Especially if you also do cleans, shrugs, chins, etc. on your DL days. Avoid the use of straps until you have to but don’t let your grip be a limiting factor. Use them when you really need them.

[quote]Kemper1989 wrote:
Hey guys;

After posting my original workout schedule and getting chewed up about it, I quickly switched to Starting Strength. It’s been about 3 weeks and I’m already seeing some muscle/weight gains. I’m extremely happy that you guys guided, well more or less forced me into it.

Anyways, I’m back looking for some more advice. Just today I was doing a deadlift of 230, which was 10 more pounds then what I did the last time and I had absolutely no trouble. With the 10 extra pounds I got the weight up perfectly fine my first set although I felt as if the bar was sort of rolling out of my hands. I figured it was just a fluke but, from that point on it got worse and worse to the point where I had to rush the rep in fear that the bar was going to roll right out of my hands and I would drop the weights. Needless to say I couldn’t even finish the 5th set because of this.

Now when I mean it felt like it was rolling out of my hands I mean half way threw I was holding it with the tips of my fingers (felt like it rolled from the palm of my hand to the tips of my fingers).

I have an idea of what it is but first I’ll see what you guys say.

Thanks![/quote]

Mark Rippetoe(the author of Starting Strength) recommends using the double overhand hook grip for the deadlift. It builds grip strength, and avoids certain risks of mixed grip deads. When I started using the double overhand hook, my hands took a bit of a beating, but you get used to it.

Also, I’m pretty sure that SS only calls for one set of deadlifts for that given workout. It sounds like you are actually doing a 5x5 program like Bill Star’s or Madcows.

i like the hook grip, but im not really lifting that heavy yet. it seems to lock everything in nicely.

[quote]atg410 wrote:

Also, I’m pretty sure that SS only calls for one set of deadlifts for that given workout. It sounds like you are actually doing a 5x5 program like Bill Star’s or Madcows.

[/quote]

I’m actually doing the 1X5, sorry if there was any confusion.

As everyone else has said go with a mixed grip. I have found chalk very useful as well.

[quote]Kemper1989 wrote:
atg410 wrote:

I’m actually doing the 1X5, sorry if there was any confusion.
[/quote]

If you’re only doing 1x5 and experiencing that sort of grip fatigue, try resetting the bar between reps(if you aren’t allready). So, set up, pull the first rep, return the bar completely to the ground and consciously reset your grip and posture, breathe for a few seconds, focus and pull again, repeat.
Rippetoe gives good reasons for using the overhand hook grip in his book, and if you try it you will notice that it ‘locks you in’(like an above poster said) much more than a normal overhand grip.

I had the same problem as you and I tried everything from mixed grip to using straps, and Coc grippers, but I couldn’t deadlift more than 255x3.

About two weeks ago I found out that my gym had a slightly smaller olympic bar that was a bit thinner and I just recently hit 275x5 with ease and a max of 315 so ask your gym and see if they have a smaller bar. I might have to try that hook grip eventually though…

Hope this helps

Edit:

I forgot to mention that some people might only benefit from this method because they have smaller fingers(big palms and short fingers) so it allows them to get their fingers around completely.

I just found this picture as well as a little bit of instructions on the Hook Grip. It’s fairly straight forward I just want to make sure I’ve got the right idea.

Prepare to grip the bar overhand as usual, but wrap your thumbs around it first. Then, wrap your fingers over your thumbs (so it looks like you made two fists with your thumbs on the inside).

Thanks again guys, I’ll give it a shot on Sunday and let you know how it goes.