T Nation

Deadlift and Weak Abs

Everytime i try to do deadlifts my lower back starts to hurt a lot. It gets to the point where i cant even walk sometimes but for some reason this doesnt occur with back squats and sometimes it doesnt even occur when i try to RDL or Trap Bar deadlifts. I read that weak abs could lead to lower back pain when deadlifting and mine are pretty weak.

Any thoughts on this? Also i dont think my form is wrong . Ive gotten it checked by numerous of people , including one of the bodybuilders that work at my gym(he just told me to stop deadlifting it doesnt agree with my body)

The bodybuilder’s advice is retarded. I would bet that your technique is probably off. Weak abs could cause lumbar rounding, but I would guess your form needs some adjustment. Post a video on here so some experienced people can analyze your deadlift form.

[quote]drew2143 wrote:
The bodybuilder’s advice is retarded. I would bet that your technique is probably off. Weak abs could cause lumbar rounding, but I would guess your form needs some adjustment. Post a video on here so some experienced people can analyze your deadlift form. [/quote]

will post a video of me doing it with 135lb. which still causes problems lol. videos will be up tomorrow.

How often do you stretch?

Im willing to bet money that you are losing your lumbar arch and you are squatting with a quad dominant/knee forward style, thats why it won’t hurt when you squat but when you deadlift

It’s probably a form issue. Try to change your back angle in relation to the bar.

@rehanb_bl: almost no Pler pulls with an arched lower back. That doesn’t have to be the goal.

Actually i do make an emphasis when deadlifting to keep my arched but that doesnt help. Wasnt able to record today. Woke up extremely sick. Will try posting tomorrow.

[quote]TheDon12 wrote:
Actually i do make an emphasis when deadlifting to keep my arched but that doesnt help. Wasnt able to record today. Woke up extremely sick. Will try posting tomorrow.[/quote]

Get well soon!

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:
It’s probably a form issue. Try to change your back angle in relation to the bar.

@rehanb_bl: almost no Pler pulls with an arched lower back. That doesn’t have to be the goal.[/quote]

absolutely every pler pulls with a tight lower back, all of them

[quote]rehanb_bl wrote:

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:

@rehanb_bl: almost no Pler pulls with an arched lower back. That doesn’t have to be the goal.[/quote]

absolutely every pler pulls with a tight lower back, all of them[/quote]
I think he’s referring to definitive arch vs. a flat back

here’s the vid guys. just started to get better from the flue but made it to the gym.