Deadlift and Squat Day Spacing

I was wondering how long you space out your deadlift and Squat days? I have been doing deads on tuesday and squats on friday. However, this week I went really heavy on deads and noticed that my lower back was not fully recoverd by my squat day. I am thinking since I have been increasing the weight on both for the past weeks that I may be reaching a point where I need to alternate heavy low rep and light high rep on these exercises.

week 1
Tuesday
Dead lift 5x5
Friday
Squat 3x10

Week 2
Tuesday
Dead lift 3x10
Friday
Squat 5x5

Does anyone else have any suggestions or experence with a similar issue. Obviously I would love for my back to recover quicker, but I had to go about 90lbs ligter on squat that ussal so I am going to have to figure out something until my lower back gets stronger.

if you’re focussing on strength gains in one of the lifts, and really going for it, then you’d be fine dropping the other lift for a while (or making it ‘light’ for more reps.

e.g. you may want to swap squats for lunges while building up your deadlift if that’s your goal, or repping out with lighter squats

Both lifts can dig deep into your lower back recovery when you are getting closer to your peak strength.

[quote]gswork wrote:
if you’re focussing on strength gains in one of the lifts, and really going for it, then you’d be fine dropping the other lift for a while (or making it ‘light’ for more reps.

e.g. you may want to swap squats for lunges while building up your deadlift if that’s your goal, or repping out with lighter squats

Both lifts can dig deep into your lower back recovery when you are getting closer to your peak strength.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like I have the right idea from what you are saying, but that maybe I need to take it a step further by using deffent movements that would require less weight.

Obviously I will be using my progress in both lifts as the measure for the success of my method. Have people made better progress focusing on one lift at a time for 4-6 weeks or just continuing to do both as recovery dictated? My goal is size and balanced strength. That being said I haven’t see any +200lb’ers that have a 2.5 time body weight dead lift and squat that didn’t have the size that I desire. I am currently at 218lbs, with a 405lb dead lift for sets of 3 and a 405lb squat for sets of 3. This past week was my first time to pull over 400 and I managed to do 4 sets of 3 after having already done 2 sets of 315 x 10. It was a milestone, and I want to get to 500lbs by this time next year if not sooner. Since I am currently bulking with a goal of 250lbs I want to increase my lifts as much as possible during this mass phase.

I do them on the same day, but I’m conditioned to this from high school track. Give it a try. Whey protein will help you’re recovery.

space them enough so that youre erectors and back will be able to support the stress placed on them from squatting.

Or do front squats, less stress = more success :smiley: