Deadlift Alternatives?

THANK YOU GUYS! Amazing stuff

[quote]giterdone wrote:
Don’t stop training it just because it’s a strong lift. There is carryover between squat and DL…glutes, hams, low back.

If I had to make a guess from your comments (light low back pain, can’t add weight) you are probably maxing out too often.

I would recommend keeping it in the rotation, backing off the weight quite a bit and just work on form and speed. Every week add 5-10 lbs to the lift. No grinding reps. Mentally, it gives you a break from trying hit a new PR since that is not the objective. And it will give your back a break.[/quote]

That’s all me here^

I fall in love with DL from the very beginning, to the level where my DL & SQ difference is about 140lbs right now… I’m pushing too hard. I’ll back off with the weight & add more ability/activation work (thanks kmcnyc!). This will help.

[quote]PeteS wrote:
yeah, I touch the floor with each one[/quote]

I don’t get it. That just sounds like touch-n-go DLing then. What’s the difference?

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[quote]PeteS wrote:
yeah, I touch the floor with each one[/quote]

I don’t get it. That just sounds like touch-n-go DLing then. What’s the difference?

[/quote]

nothing at all. I will pause them if that is what I am working on. RDL = slight bend at knee, but no knee flexion, i.e. no quad involvement. what I meant by touching floor is that each is full range of motion

Dropping your best lift? And one of the big ones? Why not see how far you can take it. How much are you pulling?

^ ???

just back off with the weight. I’ll cure my injures and after about two months I will try to break my PR. That’s all…

[quote]PeteS wrote:
DJHT, depends on whether you pull sumo or conventional. Geared conventional not very much carryover, for me right now it is about 10lbs lol or nothing, most I have seen conventional is maybe 30-50. However my hips feel better for the gear.

Sumo pullers can usually gearwhore their pull quite a bit more, 50 to 100lb carrover if you work your gear hard. I just feel so damn uncomfortable sumo that I can’t do it. [/quote]

I don’t max raw very often but last time I did it was 285. I’ve pulled 375 in a suit sumo. It’s never really an apples to apples comparison though. Because I compete geared, I train the weak spots in gear more. Plus pulling sumo raw for me is very different than in a suit. Raw, I think I do better conventional because I have a lot of back strength.