Deadlift Alternative?

Hip structure makes it so I only have lateral hip rom I can’t reach the bar on a conventional deadlift with a neutral spine. So what can I replace the deadlift with to develop a strong posture chain.

Pull from pins/blocks, trap bar deads if you can, RDLs, heavy kettlebell swings, GHR, loaded back extensions, etc. You still have options

3 Likes

Not only are there other options–most of them are better options. Assuming you’re not planning to compete in PLing, there’s no reason to feel you need to prioritize the DL as an exercise.

3 Likes

Big agreement on my end!

2 Likes

So which alternative would i do in a beginner program like starting strength or 5x5

Starting Strength aims to get you stronger in the press, bench press, squat and deadlift in a short period of time.

If those aren’t your goals, then I wouldn’t do that program.

1 Like

In your opinion, what are some of the better options for someone interested in general strength and posterior chain development?

Depending on what your specific goals are–“general strength” is pretty vague–I would suggest:
For explosiveness: Power cleans
For brute strength: Rack pulls
For posterior chain development + conditioning: KB swings
For looking perty from behind: RDLs

3 Likes

Have you tried trap bar deadlifts? You can also use galvanised pipes and timber to make farmers carry devices which can also be used for deadlifts. Then you can set the height of handles to suit you - 35 40,45,50cm.

1 Like

What’s DeFranco’s one basic program?

Seems like it uses the row and RDL as an alternative (compared to other 5x5 programs)

In my opinion, people don’t need to train conventional/sumo unless they compete and/or they enjoy it.

I don’t really enjoy deadlifts, but until Powerlifting has a Squat Only or Squat/Bench division, I’ll train them. My wife was uncomfortable with deadlifts until recently. I got her up to speed with 8-10 rep RDLs. I might see how she likes trap bar instead next.

Row or RDL. Or try sumo

What?

bent over barbell row

Out of curiosity - what height are we talking about?

I would say upper shins.

1 Like

I’m 6’4" and prior to my several year hiatus could comfortably ATG squat and barbell deadlift in spite of my height. Unless I wanted a change for a while most of the time time I worked the trap bar deadlift in place of a squat or conventional DL and am not aware of anything showing TB deadlift to be inferior. I did find that most issues I had could be corrected with some work on my end.

How exactly does that replace a deadlift?

It doesn’t, but it does tax the lower back, hamstrings, and lats via static hold much like a deadlift would. He’s probably better off with trap bar deads or block pulls until he can fix his hip mobility.

1 Like

Trap bar is life. I’m gonna do nothing but trap bar for a few weeks next year.

Won’t squat or bench either. Just Trap Bar and OHP to a daily minimum single everyday.

1 Like

I like trap bars but the one at my gym can’t fit any more plates. There are other more dense plates in a different area of the gym though… Might sneak equipment between the different areas eventually. I wish the dead squat bar from Biotest would come back.