Deadlift After 1 Year of Training

I just started to deadlift

can you guys rate my form?

and anyone has good deadlift strenght program?

Look on the article database. There’s one that says “Increase your deadlift 40 pounds.”
that might work

Keep that bar on your shins. You should have black bruises and nicks from deadlifts.

Get your ass up a bit more, and pull that chest up a bit.

The bar should be stationary as well. You should have the bar crossing over the ball of your feet to where when you kneel down, your shins make contact with the bar.

Also, your hands are inside your legs. Thats a no-no. Looks like your legs are too spread out and your arms are too narrow. Reverse that.

This helped me a lot:

[quote]Dissonance wrote:

Also, your hands are inside your legs. Thats a no-no. Looks like your legs are too spread out and your arms are too narrow. Reverse that.

[/quote]

It’s called a sumo-style deadlift, and it’s just fine.

OP, it looks like you need to focus on sitting back more. Chest up. Try to keep the bar closer to your body on the way up. Drive your hips foward and lock out to finish.

[quote]boyscout wrote:

It’s called a sumo-style deadlift, and it’s just fine.

[/quote]

If you’re indeed going for a sumo deadlift, you need to spread your legs further and narrow your grip. It just looks like poor form regardless of the type of deadlift.

Then again, this could be the latest hybrid deadlift style I have not heard about yet.

would i be able to pull more lbs with my hand outside my leg?

[quote]Dissonance wrote:

[/quote]

It’s called a sumo stance. Granted it’s not as wide as most go, but it’s still viable. You can deadlift anywhere from heels together all the way out to toes near the plates.

OP, you’re letting the bar get away from you. You need to keep the weight on your heels, to the point that you would fall backwards if you weren’t holding a heavy weight in front of you.

[quote]tehkev14 wrote:
would i be able to pull more lbs with my hand outside my leg?[/quote]

Depends on the person.

It looks to me like your hips aren’t coming far enough forward at the top, but I really can’t tell since the video only shows the lower part of your body. Keep the bar touching your legs, and at the top of the motion “hump” the bar. Sounds odd, but it will help keep your form tight.

[quote]Dissonance wrote:
Keep that bar on your shins. You should have black bruises and nicks from deadlifts.
[/quote]
Not everyone drags the bar up their legs.

His ass is already high. How do you get your ass up and your chest up?

There’s sumo and there’s semi-sumo. Nothing new or bad about it. Why do you think it’s wrong to use a semi-sumo stance?

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
Dissonance wrote:

There’s sumo and there’s semi-sumo. Nothing new or bad about it. Why do you think it’s wrong to use a semi-sumo stance?[/quote]

Noted. Just seems keeping that bar on your legs incorporates more muscle groups in the lift. For me anyway. Feels a lot safer while engaging more.

As for the ass up/chest up, he does have more room to get his ass up, and I probably should have said chest BACK more.It looks as though his center of gravity is too far forward.

You didn’t finish quoting my take on the sumo stance. :slight_smile:
Never realized there was such a wide variety of deadlift stances. I’ll have to give them a try tomorrow.

Dissonance wrote:

There’s sumo and there’s semi-sumo. Nothing new or bad about it. Why do you think it’s wrong to use a semi-sumo stance?[/quote]

I do disagree with not keeping the bar close.

For one it just puts you leverage wise at a disadvantage (moves the weight out away from your pivot points creating more torque). The other thing I see is guys get on their toes doing this and many times get off balance and end up leaning way forward. Not saying you have to “drag it up your legs” but that seems the better alternative to letting it get out away from you.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

For one it just puts you leverage wise at a disadvantage (moves the weight out away from your pivot points creating more torque). The other thing I see is guys get on their toes doing this and many times get off balance and end up leaning way forward. Not saying you have to “drag it up your legs” but that seems the better alternative to letting it get out away from you.[/quote]

That’s a pretty strong assumption to say that the only options are to drag it up your legs or let it get out too far in front. There are people that successfully deadlift without doing either. My main point, after years of thinking there’s a ‘right’ way to do things, is that there are very few absolutes.

DoubleDuce wrote:

For one it just puts you leverage wise at a disadvantage (moves the weight out away from your pivot points creating more torque). The other thing I see is guys get on their toes doing this and many times get off balance and end up leaning way forward. Not saying you have to “drag it up your legs” but that seems the better alternative to letting it get out away from you.

That’s a pretty strong assumption to say that the only options are to drag it up your legs or let it get out too far in front. There are people that successfully deadlift without doing either. My main point, after years of thinking there’s a ‘right’ way to do things, is that there are very few absolutes.[/quote]

Either way, proper form is almost a neverending pursuit. I can definately understand how variations form on each exercise.

I like your wisdom of ‘few absolutes’. I think that’s a great philosophy to adapt. However, I admit this is the first time I have heard anyone state that keeping the bar on or extremely close to your legs is an optional component of proper and safe deadlift form.

Just looks like it’s gonna hurt in the morning, and not in the good way.

Honestly I think his butt needs to come down a little and really drive through at the hips like your doing the bar… its what I tell most people when I try to explain how to dl, the video links already posted are good.

DoubleDuce wrote:

That’s a pretty strong assumption to say that the only options are to drag it up your legs or let it get out too far in front. There are people that successfully deadlift without doing either. My main point, after years of thinking there’s a ‘right’ way to do things, is that there are very few absolutes.[/quote]

I’m not saying dragging it up is the “right” way, just a good way of doing it to overcompensate to stay away from the wrong way.