Deadlift Advice

Hi there

been reading for a looong time, finally found a reason to post.

I’m finding towards the final set or two of my dead lift training very taxing on my lower back. No actual pain (other than DOMS) but it does feel like my lower back is doing a LOT of work.

I lift from a starting position where my hips are fairly high, and I’m concerned that my lower back may be rounding and I’m risking injury.

I train alone, and there’s no side mirror (not that i really want to turn my head on the really tought reps) so I haven’t really got anyone to critique my form.

Is this normal for heavy dead lift training? Or should I back the weight off a little bit and concentrate on starting with my hips lower?

Like i said - i’m in no actual pain, only that my lower back is very worked/tired for the rest of the day, and maybe a little in to the next.

Any help or comments appreciated.

I have long arms and long legs. The orangutan arms allow me to deadlift some heavy weight, but the legs just get in the way. To get the bar past my knees, I ended up almost doing a stiff legged DL (but really high). There is very little difference in the weight I can conventional DL and SLDL. My lower back realy took a beating as a result. I now Sumo DL and can do 100lbs more than my SLDL. Now my lower back only gets as sore as everything else. If you haven’t already, try sumo & see if that gets your butt down. Start light, keep your back arched, & after a few weeks you may pass your old max with a happier back.

[quote]rodfarva wrote:

Is this normal for heavy dead lift training? Or should I back the weight off a little bit and concentrate on starting with my hips lower?

[/quote]

Im by no means an expert but I was having the same problem and after I worked on keeping my hips a little lower, the problem wen’t away. I would give it a shot…

I also switched to sumo because I realized that I WAS keeping my arse down and squatting the weight up. I figured why fight it and switched to sumo. Even with my arse down I noticed strain on my lower back. With sumo, the tension in my back is comparable to a squat.

If you want to get your arse down lower, you’ll need to work on flexibility. And strengthening the lower back with good mornings and Romanian deadlifts is always, always a good idea.

i’m no expert either but my experience is once i got over the ridiculous self-conscious fear of making it onto somebody’s mental squat rack curls thread -since i’m not huuuge and am dling sub 500- and quit lowering the weight and started making some noise my lower back fatigue went away.

yeah i know it’s a run-on sentence.
big f*in deal.