Deadlift Advice

any advice on how am I doing this lift is welcome. i am the only one deadlifting on my gym, i don’t have local feedback.

You might need a better angle for some good criticism, and footage thats not from a mobile fone.

But from what I can tell it looks like your rounding you back, I would have to say quite a bit of rounding actually but the footage aint great so.

Feet position looks a tad narrow but if you’re comfortable with stance then keep it, but it could be contributing to rounding.

So try widening the stance and it might help the lower back

Is the camera in slow mo because it looks like you doing really slow tempo like 403 or something.

[quote]bams_101 wrote:
You might need a better angle for some good criticism, and footage thats not from a mobile fone.

But from what I can tell it looks like your rounding you back, I would have to say quite a bit of rounding actually but the footage aint great so.

Feet position looks a tad narrow but if you’re comfortable with stance then keep it, but it could be contributing to rounding.

So try widening the stance and it might help the lower back

Is the camera in slow mo because it looks like you doing really slow tempo like 403 or something.
[/quote]

Slow tempo, i agree with you about the stance, but it feels easier when done wider. What you think about shoulder position? i will use white color next time and repost. but want advice to make changes today.

yeah, might be a bit of rounding occurring, make sure you focus on keeping your back straight and tense, but honestly, without good video quality and a better angle (side view) it’s hard to tell anything more

If you are wondering about conventional pulling foot position, this is what I was taught and it worked for me.

It should be at the natural position of your hips.

Hang from a bar with your hands, with your feet just off the ground.

Relax, your lower body as much al possible, just let your legs dangle.

Let go off the bar, and try no to move your feet in the air.

The way your feet land should be a good indication of a starting point for your setup.

It also looks like you’re bouncing the weights off the floor. The weight should come to a complete stop on the ground before the next repetition, hence the name DEADlift.

[quote]aminge37 wrote:
It also looks like you’re bouncing the weights off the floor. The weight should come to a complete stop on the ground before the next repetition, hence the name DEADlift.[/quote]

Given the speed he’s descending with, I doubt he’s bouncing the weight.

It looks like your Upper Back is rounded and your Lower Back is arched. That’s good.

Everything looks fine except for your bad camera quality. Can’t tell if you’re staying on your heels or not because of the pure picture quality since I can’t see that detail.

it looks to me like your not locking out with your glutes enough, but leaning the bar up at the top. No need to lean back with the bar to lockout. Also, considering your doing a crazy slow tempo (I have problems with this in general) it doesnt seem like your deloading the weight completely at the bottom.

• by showing us a video (of shitty quality none the less) of you lifting less than maximal weights at less than maximal speed with less than maximum effort, the advice you get from this analysis is most likely not going to carry over to your heavy lifts at normal speed.

[quote]aminge37 wrote:
It also looks like you’re bouncing the weights off the floor. The weight should come to a complete stop on the ground before the next repetition, hence the name DEADlift.[/quote]

no, i never bounce against the floor. it also hurts.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
If you are wondering about conventional pulling foot position, this is what I was taught and it worked for me.

It should be at the natural position of your hips.

Hang from a bar with your hands, with your feet just off the ground.

Relax, your lower body as much al possible, just let your legs dangle.

Let go off the bar, and try no to move your feet in the air.

The way your feet land should be a good indication of a starting point for your setup.
[/quote]

will try this.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
aminge37 wrote:
It also looks like you’re bouncing the weights off the floor. The weight should come to a complete stop on the ground before the next repetition, hence the name DEADlift.

Given the speed he’s descending with, I doubt he’s bouncing the weight.

It looks like your Upper Back is rounded and your Lower Back is arched. That’s good.

Everything looks fine except for your bad camera quality. Can’t tell if you’re staying on your heels or not because of the pure picture quality since I can’t see that detail. [/quote]

ok, will try to get better video. I agree about the upper/lower arch, i was not sure about. may i PM when i got the video for advice?

[quote]getfast24 wrote:
it looks to me like your not locking out with your glutes enough, but leaning the bar up at the top. No need to lean back with the bar to lockout.

Also, considering your doing a crazy slow tempo (I have problems with this in general) it doesnt seem like your deloading the weight completely at the bottom.

• by showing us a video (of shitty quality none the less) of you lifting less than maximal weights at less than maximal speed with less than maximum effort, the advice you get from this analysis is most likely not going to carry over to your heavy lifts at normal speed. [/quote]

that is the very problem i went from 95pounds dl to 275 in a few months, now i feel stuck. I now the video is shitie, but is the only one at hand at the time, also getting a guy who help me to record it was an effort by itself.

i am not sure about speed, your advice is to increase the speed? i was not sure about form, i would be glad to decrease the weight and increase speed if i get the point on doing so. what is your opinion?

I see a lot of back extension and not very much hip extension.

Same as ‘dankid’ mentioned, try to ‘lock your hips’ at the end, not to ‘lock your shoulders’.

[quote]dankid wrote:
I see a lot of back extension and not very much hip extension. [/quote]

could you please elaborate more?

[quote]juanjromero wrote:
dankid wrote:

[/quote]

No, sorry. If you read the articles on this site about dedelifting you should know what i mean, and this thread would likely not exist.

[quote]juanjromero wrote:
dankid wrote:

[/quote]

You’re not using your hips to lift the weight. You’re flexing at the lower back when the action should be taking place at the hips.

[quote]dankid wrote:
juanjromero wrote:
dankid wrote:

No, sorry. If you read the articles on this site about dedelifting you should know what i mean, and this thread would likely not exist.[/quote]

I already read this…

[quote]skidmark wrote:
juanjromero wrote:
dankid wrote:

You’re not using your hips to lift the weight. You’re flexing at the lower back when the action should be taking place at the hips.[/quote]

ok, it is a matter of thecnique, problem is i have no mirror to monitor myself, have you any hints on where should i feel the flexing? my butt? my hams? both?

Both.

You’re trying to bring the hips to the bar rather than lift the weight per se. Just think about getting those hips to the bar and keeping a neutral back position (straight back) everything else falls into place.