Deadlift 550lbs @ 198 bodyweight, 19 y/o

Hey everyone, I’m new to T-Nation and sort of new to powerlifitng. Been doing it for about 2 years now. Hit a new PR last week and thought I’d post. My form needs work, any advice? I want to hit 600 by the summer.

Stats:
6’5", 198lbs
skinny bastard.

Don’t hyperextend your back. You had it locked out and then decided to continue leaning back with it (great way to put a ton of shear on your L5/S1).

Might want to set up a bit more upright if you can, shift more weight to your heels and move your shoulders back slightly, they’re a good bit in front of the bar. Doing so will allow you to get your legs more involved hopefully.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
Don’t hyperextend your back. You had it locked out and then decided to continue leaning back with it (great way to put a ton of shear on your L5/S1).

Might want to set up a bit more upright if you can, shift more weight to your heels and move your shoulders back slightly, they’re a good bit in front of the bar. Doing so will allow you to get your legs more involved hopefully.[/quote]

Thanks man. I definitely noticed my hyperextension there and it’s terrible so I’m working on stopping that. I often fear that I’m not locking out properly though. I started doing smolov for front squats so hopefully it will help me get my legs in the pull more

Front squats are good for pulling but not necessarily what I’m speaking of in regards to your shoulders being so far forward. Personally I like oly style squats as I feel as though you sit back a bit more on your heels than front squats and can still get in that proper hip angle position.

I can definitely work on my shoulders being back, but I think front squats will definitely help as my anterior chain is seriously lacking compared to my posterior

If your anterior is the issue, than chances are you learning to sit back and engage your posterior when you pull will see the weight starting to fly up. I’d start working some speed singles and messing up with your ankle and hip angles.

either way, thats a big conventional pull for a tall skinny bastard - awesome

way to go Skinny Bastard. I though I was skinny at 73" at 198. Many kudo’s to you and your 600# quest.
OH, and listen to LiquidMercury. He has had some killer advice I have found over the last year !

Thanks a lot guys! I’ll be working those speed singles and playing with foot and hip position for sure