T Nation

Deadkong's Quattro Dynamo journal

thursday, October 21, 2010 Week 1, day 1

Dumbbell chest press 85lbs X 3 x 3 X 3 x 3 x 2
BB bent rows 130lbs X 3 x 3 x 2 x 2 x 2

DB hammer curls 45lbs X L3,R3 X L3,R3 X L1,R1 X L1,R1 X L1,R1
BB lying triceps 105lbs X 3 x 3 X 3 X 2 x 2

To start this program, I am slightly happy. I had a terrible sleep I think due to tossing and turning and disturbing my blanket cover, therefore I was too cold. I should have worn longjohns. The chest press to start off with I was relatively pleased with except that each DB was 10lbs heavier one side and my grip almost gave out, hence the short set on the 5th. Maybe increase for next time.

Everything else I am shockingly displeased with, if I feel full of vigour next time I might use the same weights.

Deadlifts I decided to add to tomorrow's smaller session.

Friday, October 22, 2010 Week 1, day 2

DB shoulder press 25lb X 22 X 12
BB bent arm pullovers 65lb X 12 X 6

squats 115lbs X 5 X 5 x 5 X 5 x 5

Another bad sleep, I don't know why. I was supposed to aim for 25 per set first two moves, I will drastically adjust for next time. I wonder if the light weight requirement avoids interfering with shoulder recovery from yesterday, that is how this program is scheduled.

squats of course I am doing as feathers to rehab my hamstring. I hope to ramp up weights a bit for next time, I am coming off a 2 week layoff.

I've always thought sleep was one of the most important parts of our training. If I'm not sleeping well I'm not training as well. After 5 months I'm still growing accustomed to my new day shift schedule and 4:30 wake ups. Best of luck to you.

Sunday, October 24, 2010 Week 1, day 3

DB incline press 60lbs X 8 X 8 x 4
BB upright rows 105lbs X 8 X 2

BB reverse curls 55lbs X 8 x 8 x 4
Db standing triceps 55lbs x 8 x 8 x 3

I am getting increasingly frustrated with this. All along so far I have been using weights that I calculated are appropriate, but find myself dropping far short of goals. Again I awoke feeling a bit unrested, I think I eat well but might actually stop procrastinating and formally journalize it. Still I am enjoying a deltoid burn.

I made a return to rope skipping yesterday, 10 minutes to readapt. beside the fact is doesn't stress my bad hamstring it might prepare me for the intensity I am gunning for with this program.

thanks for the words. I would rather bugger a sleep after a given workout than before. Sometimes I feel tired really early and lie down for a mini nap, then have to drag myself up to brush my teeth and actually formally sleep. Also, I am a caffeine fiend, I gave up drinking and smoking years ago and use it as my poison, but a doctor has suggested in the past getting control over it.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 Week 1, day 4

BB bench press 165lbs X 3 X 3 x 3 x 3 X 3 x 3

situps body + 20lbs X 3 X 3 X 3 x 3 X 3 x 3

bent arm pullovers 65lbs X 3 X 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 x 3

deadlifts 115lbs x 5, 125lbs X 5, 135lbs x 5 X 5 x 5

this is the explosive strength day, I repped very fast and think I could have gone faster. I am supposed to use an 18 rep max, but the weights definitely need to go up for next time, barely any work.

deadlifts. I am doing legs on a separate schedule than the program calls for, due to rehabbing a hamstring. Fridays squats after time off before this program were feathers. I wanted to be more ambitious, while still staying in feather range, for deads and decided to ramp weights up to a comfortable limit. then see how much in future i can push it.

I had actually rehabbed this OLD injury months ago by doing the ramp up thing in more the 8-12 rep range. I reinjured it this past spring. I was advised by an MD physio I might do the same but with a 5 X 5 scheme. It is not too bad feeling with no analgesic at this time.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 Week 2, day 1

DB chest press 87.5lbs X 3 X 3 x 3 X 3 x 3
BB bent rows 125lbs X 3 X 3 x 3 x 3 X 3

BB lying triceps 100lbs X 3 X 3 X 3 X 3 x 3
DB hammer curls 45lbs X L3,R3 X L3,R3 X L3,R3 X L1,R1 x L1,R1

I am very pleased with today. I feel better in energy level. I have been over the last few days using again my Linux based food journal and find I try harder to put together logical meals and portion sizes.

Chest is a step up, and I was tempted to try more on the last set. Last week the DBs were 10lbs heavier each one side and I almost dropped one on myself on the last set. Today was heavier and I cruised through quite well. Rows I lightened, but maybe shouldn't have.

Same with triceps, but my hammers are stagnant at the same weight.

I am thinking ahead to running this program longer than Waterbury planned, I am doing it as a standalone.

Weight at end of session, 197lbs.

How do you do your sit ups with weight? Is it a plate clutched to your chest? and do you have your feet anchored?

Keep up the good work!

Yes, encouragement is better than none, thanks.

I held two 10lbs plates behind my head. I imagine for the same weight it is more challenging than on the chest because of the greater distance from the point of rotation.

Week 1 was sort of useless. just adapting to the exercise selection and lifting scheme. I am optimistic going forward from here.

Edit: oh, and yes I anchor my feet, I used to do crunches with my legs up, training variety.

Sunday, October 31, 2010 Week 2, day 3

October 30 deadlifts 115lbs X 5, 125lbs X 5, 135 X 5, 145 x 5 stopped

DB incline press 60lbs x 8 X 8 x 5
Bb upright rows 95lbs X 8 X 3 x 2 stopped

BB overhand curls 55lbs x 8 x 8 x 5
DB standing triceps 55lbs X 8 X 8 x 5

I haven't felt rested waking these last 3 mornings. so I put day 2 off until doing deads only yesterday. I think I am making progress with that. Actually I was out of coffee last week and didn't get around to getting more until Friday morning and then I guzzled a bit much. Myself to blame somewhat.

I made progress over last week all the same, just not what i hoped. I am past the adjustment phase and should really get full sets of reps and increase 2.5% each week, but I wasn't sure how my energy level would pan out. Assuming better rest next time, same weights and kill this.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 Week 2, day 4

Explosive strength
Bb bench press 185lbs x 3 X 3 X 3 X 3 X 3 X 3

Situps body + 25lbs X 3 X 3 x3 X 3 X 3 X 3

Bent arm pullovers 75lbs X 3 X 3 X 3 x 3 X 3 X 3

deadlifts 115lbs X 5, 125lbs X 5, 135lbs x 5, 145lbs x 5, 155lbs x 5

Reasoanably satisfied with today. I upped greatly bench weight, but didn't get the same speed repping I hoped for. I will only increase for next time if I am feeling very into it.

Otherwise fine, I suppose. Deads I achieved an increased progression from last day and my affected ham is so far fine.

Sorry, double post.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 week 3, day 1

DB chest press 92.5lbs X 3 X 3 X 3 x 2 x 1
BB bent rows 130lbs X 3 X 3 X 3 X 3 X 1

BB lying triceps 105lbs X 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 X 1
DB hammer curls 45lbs X L3,R3 X L3,R3 X 40lbs X L2,R3 x L1,R1

Great day today. Weight increases everywhere but curls. Even though I didn't make full quorum my chest press alone leaves me feeling like a living Kong. I don't have micro plates, so these are the increases I could manage, although i could have increased chest less.

Friday, November 5, 2010 Week 3, day 2

DB shoulder press 12.5lbs X 25 x 20
BB bent arm pullovers 55lbs x 20 X 10

squats 125lbs x 5, 135 x 5, 145 X 5, 155 X 5, 165 X 5

It is strange that this day comes the next day after an upper body day, but with the radically light weights maybe it is to be gotten away with.

Squats I am pleased with, presuming the state of my hamstring holds.

Edit: I will remark that yesterday I was deadlifting heavier to set up DB chest press than I was training with on Tuesday. I was worried it might be detrimental, so far good, but I will just have to see.

Sunday, November 7, 2010 Week 3, day 3

DB incline press 60lbs X 8 x 8 x 5
BB upright rows 95lbs X 8 X 5 X 3

BB overhand curls 55lbs X 8 X 8 x 5
DB standing triceps 55lbs X 8 X 8 x 5

No particular thing about my energy level, I was disappointed I didn't improve with inclines. Still, a good jump for rows. My form was a bit iffy for triceps, i will have to work on that.

I might do some intense cardio later, possibly skipping rope.

tuesday, November 9, 2010 Week 3, day 4

Explosive strength
BB bench press 190lbs x 3 X 3 X 3 X3 X 3 stopped

situps 30lbs X 3 X 3 X 3 X 3 X 3 X 3

Bent arm pullovers 85lbs x 3 X 3 X 3 X 3 X 3 x 3

deadlifts 125lbs X 5, 135lbs X 5, 145 x 5, 155 X 5, 165 X 5

Sort of good. The first 3 moves I suppose I am to speed rep. With bench, I only raised the weight 5lbs, but found stabilizing the path of motion a challenge and had to admit by the 5th I have a slight left pectoral strain. fuck! I seem to remember having a minor hamstring strain and still letting my ego drive towards targets until it was really buggered. Also, with me doing feather rehab weights for that I was left to revel in upper body work, so there, I am a bit pissed. It is only 2 days until I hit chest heavy with dumbbells on the maximal strength day, but that I find I do much slower, so I will play it by ear. Maybe some recovery.

All that being said, I romped through and easily reached my deadlift target without a glimmer of any hamstring issues. No analgesic/antiinflammatory in the longest time, so it is a curious trade off.

Edit: Oh, and this is supposedly the end of this program. I don't feel like I need to stop it, it is only 3 weeks. the first week was more of an orientation week, as it is a big shakeup from previous work. Still, I must be mindful of my left pectoral muscle.

thursday, November 11, 2010 Week 4, day 1

Solemn appreciation of Remembrance day. I will wear a poppy today.

DB chest press 55lb X 10 stopped

So, not much to report. Further to my having stupidly strained my left pec (my left hamstring is a separate issue, but has been coming along of late. Now I get to feel good about something else) with explosive benching on tuesday I just did what is normally a first warmup set to sound it out. It was fine until I controlled placing them on the floor after, and then I felt it. I think I might do 2 sets of the same tomorrow, it isn't really exertion so I wonder if it will be therapeutic. The next chest move is DB inclines on Sunday and I will just have to see how it feels then.

In another perspective, this routine by Chad Waterbury is only supposed to be 3 weeks anyway. It is intense, but i was hoping to keep at it as long as I made gains. On the other hand, part of the idea was to break through a chest plateau.

I will take it day by day.

Yesterday I skipped rope for 20 minutes, the first 5 minutes without stopping, and then going as much as I could until 20. Intensity is part of the goal, normally I do cardio by walking trips.

I think regardless if it's a 3 week programme or not, if it's still working, carry on with it!!!

the pectoral strain is bothering me more now. I started a new thread asking how to rehab it. I did a search and the closest I found was a very old thread by Dr. E. Sigma. One case dealt with a complete tear that needed surgery and doesn't likely apply.

DK,training is looking solid. Sorry to read about the injuries. I think a good rule when injured is if it hurts don't do it and if it doesn't do it.