T Nation

Deadkong's Latest Journal

I hope to post more regularly here, well. I am about to keep a journal.

My program, to start in the next few days (I want some recovery after my last routine), I propose as such:

Day 1
supersets
squats - situps 5 sets of 3, 2 minutes rest between pairings.

supersets
DB chest press - BB bent over row 5 sets of 3, 1 minute between pairings.

Day 2
supersets
Dips - upright rows 5 sets of 3, 1 minute between pairings

supersets
Bb lying triceps extensions - DB hammer curls 3 sets of 8, 1.5 minutes between sets

Day 3
Deadlifts 4 sets of 4-6, 3 minutes between sets

supersets
chinups - Bb shoulder press 5 sets 3, 1 minute between sets.

Days off in between workout days. This is sort of a bastardized improvisation of a Chad Waterbury program I largely tried intact. I expect this to go for 3 weeks, maybe a 4th just to hit up some intensity, I did Wendler for a while and want to shake things up.

The idea of the situps paired with squats is push/pull, the torso gets the full going, or so my theory.

The deads I left to themselves as I have heard not to rush them, I want to go heavier than of late and I am thinking that is how to do it.

Welcome, Deadkong.

Supersetting squats and sit-ups? That's a new one on me.

Where did you get that idea from?, what's the theory behind it?

Welcome back, I remember you from before. Did you get that hamstring sorted out?

Supersetting squats and sit-ups? That's a new one on me.

Where did you get that idea from?, what's the theory behind it?

Welcome back, I remember you from before. Did you get that hamstring sorted out?

thanks Cavalier, actually Farmerbrett is correct I have been here before, it is just that I expect to spend a regular amount of time here from now on.

Brett, I made up that superset pairing myself, I am not claiming to be an expert really I just wanted to try it.

My ham is largely better, but occasionally reminds me to be cautious. thanks for asking. I am past the threshold of working weights with deadlifts being above 300lbs since injury, that is progress by my standard. Squats are below that by a good amount, but not relatively out of line. I am making sure I do those moves on separate days so I don't risk overdoing my ham and allow recovery, I realize they are push/pull right there.

Friday, July 15, 2011 Week 1, day 2

Dips Body (196lbs) + 45lbs X 3 X 3 X 3 X 3 X 3
upright rows 135lbs X 3 X 3 X 3 x 2 X 2

DB hammer curls 2 X 35lbs X L8,R8 X L6,R6 X L3,R3

I am starting this with day 2, so the scheduling of posting will be skewed, but it is no big deal.

Dips I am pleased with, maybe 50lbs next time. Upright rows, same weight.

I realized that I am with this program doing 3 compound moves that use triceps, so I cut the lying extensions and want to see if maybe I recover better. 2 X 30lbs next week for biceps.

Welcome back.

Sunday, July 17, 2011 Week 1, day 3

deadlift 285lbs X 6 X 4 stopped

situps body + 25lbs X 10 X 10 x 10 X 5 fail

My excuse for today is that my Mattress has been getting damp and I had to spray an anti-mold/mildew thing on it. It must be affecting my health, and i curtailed my program for the day.

situps are actually not bad, but then I only so much wore them out with deads.

Week 1, day 1 tomorrow, hopefully I am in good form then.

thursday, July 21, 2011 Week 1, day 1

Squats 235lbs X 3 X 3 X 3 X 1 fail stopped
situps body + 25lbs X 5 X 5 X 5 stopped

DB chest press 2 X 80lbs X 3 X 3 X 3 X 2
BB bent rows 145lbs X 3 X 3 X 3

I am unsure what to make of today. I continue to have moisture problems in my apartment, although the mold smell is greatly less. It is also HOT in my geographic area. The sweat pouring off of me was great.

So, next time around I might keep the same weights and see if conditions are better, I should know during the squat warmup.

Overall, my first week is a bit of a failure, and i would have done this yesterday except that i had two nights in a row of bad sleep, really the weather there maybe. Saturday is my next session, I am hoping to do will with dips then.

You should do something about that mould. Some of these moulds can give off spores that when you breathe them in can give you pretty serious health problems.

Where exactly is your geographic area?

Brett, central Canada. A bit of an untypical heatwave.

Saturday, July 23, 2011 Week 2, day 2

Dips body + 50lbs X 3 X 3 X 3 X 3 X 3
Upright rows 115lbs X 3 X 3 x 3 x 3 x 6

situps body + 25lbs X 10 X 10 X 10 X 4

DB hammer curls 2 X 30lbs x Left8,right8 X 8,8 X 9.9

I forgot what weight I left off with with upright rows, I lazily didn't boot up to find out. Still, I am pleased with my dip performance. I almost buggered my last 2 sets because my palms were sweaty and maintaining a consistent grip was difficult. Hopefully 60lbs next week.

Situps I moved here from day 3 because there is a lot of work there and only so much here, so go figure.

Curls I maybe should have used 32.5lbs Dbs for, I will have to decide what to use next week.

Good performance generally, so I am pleased.

DK- Nice dips, thats something I need to work back into my routine thanks for the reminder!

Monday, July 25, Week 2, day 3

deadlifts 285lbs X 6 X 5 fail X 4 stopped

BB shoulder press 125lbs X 3 x 3 X 3 x 1
chinups body (194lbs) x 3 X 3 x 3 X 3 X 2

Sort of a good day. i was sweating profusely after my deadlift warmup, and even though I had no hamstring issue I was hard pressed trying to reach quorum. Still more than last time, I might reduce weight a bit.

Supersets no better, I actually did relatively better with chins. In addition to moisture getting into my mattress, I notice my iron plates in my front room are rusting quickly. I don't even see obvious signs of a wet floor, although floor matting that protects the hardwood still seems moist after last mopping, it never did that before. is rust bad?

is the problem humidity in the air? if it is would you be able to get a dehumidifyer? the geographical region i used to live was notorious for humidity. houses were made of wood, too, so very hard to get things to dry out properly. mould was a significant problem, especially for people with allergies. this might sound a bit weird but i think you can get soft rubber mattress / pillow overlays. to prevent moisture getting into them. helpful for humid regions.

i think rust is bad. can you use a steel mit or something to get rid of the rust. just thinking of what they do with rust in cars... i think rust continues to spread if it isn't removed and the surface sealed of from moisture in some way. but i don't know, really...

Alexus, thanks for trying.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 Week 2, day 1

Squats 235lbs X 3 X 3 X 3 x 3 x 3
situps body + 25lbs X 5 X 5 X 5 X 5 x 5

DB chest press 2 X 80lbs x 3 X 3 X 3 X 2 fail
BB bent rows 145lbs X 3 X 3 X 3 x 3

Today I am pleased with squats, I made full quorum and I will have to significantly up the weight for the situps superset pairing.

Chest press is no better, but i have an inkling it is worth keeping the same weight next time and seeing if I can get it.

The mold levels are going down in my apartment and my achievements seem to be recovering.

Friday, July 29, 2011 Week 3, day 2

dips body (198lbs) + 55lbs x 3 X 3 X 3 X 3 x 3
upright rows 135lbs X 3 x 3 x 3 x 2 x 2

situps body + 25lbs x 10 X 10 x 7

DB hammer curls 2 X 35lbs x left8,right8 x 8,7 x 4,4

Great day today. Dips are coming along fine, I will raise weight for next week. Upright rows are the weight maybe they should be, see what happens next time.

situps I lost count of the number of sets I did, it would be strange if they were a drop off in performance with no moves like squats or deads to preexhaust them.

hammers are progress compared to the last time I used this weight.

I didn't post over the last couple of days because I didn't really lift.

on Saturday I shifted my oven over to get something that went underneath and when I returned it I made a powerful use out of my left hamstring, which together with recovering from my last squat work and assorted walking trips overdid it. Overnight i had a bad sleep anyway. I warmed up for deadlifting and 2 reps into the working weight saw the wisdom of at least delaying the work. Upper body moves were in no shape anyway because of sleep.

Yesterday I hadn't recovered, this morning I did a first warmup for deads and knew I wouldn't make a full session of it, so I am canceling the day 3 in favour of day 1 tomorrow. I will try to stay off my hamstring all day today and see if I actually hit my target with squats come morning.

As a silver lining, if I cancelled a day this week, maybe I will be able to run this high intensity program another week beyond what i would have.

Your hamstrings seem to be your achilles heel. Get it?

BTW I'm not trying to be rude, but is English your second language? Don't get me wrong, your spelling and grammar is great. I was just wondering.

Take care of that hammie and heal up soon.

No, I am not a Francophone. I try to consider my choice of words and usually spell correctly.

My hamstring is an old injury. You were a little bit right when you said I am my own worst enemy, I like to stay active and some times I pay the price. with careful consideration I can get my ham related lifts back to old numbers, it just takes patience and discipline.