T Nation

Dead-Stop Reps

Who here like's incorporating dead-stop reps into training? I know this topic has been discussed with CTs training and in other threads, but I have lately been incorporating it with Hammer Strength Machines, and other machines for nearly every bodypart, specifically chest/back/biceps with solid results. Just wanted to see what everyone elses thoughts are on this.

I enjoy using the dead-stop reps (either by pausing in a stretched position, or completely unloading the weight prior to preforming another concentric), especially for back movements.

This is a video from the end of July 2010, and I'm using a lighter weight for higher reps because I was towards the end 2 months without a deload.

That looks awesome Dead
I love doing them with back movements.
My favorite is the hammer strength high row, for dead-stop reps. I will usually do 1 arm, slow negative, 1-2 second pause, then explode. I worked up to 4 pps last session for a few sets of 8, I'll take a vid next time.

John Meadows discussed these in his recent article on back exercises. He recommends dead stop dumbbell rows

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/a_monstrous_back_the_mountain_dog_way

Yeah, if you have trouble hitting your back with rows these will do the trick. Love em.

this is how i got my calvs to grow . i started doin 4 x 8 calf raises per leg with a 40 kg db , holdin 2 secs at the bottom and 2 secs at the top

I do pendlays 3x a week which are dead stops.Also if i want to do a extension type movement for tris I'll do dead stop ez extensions.

Ya, I have tried out the dumbbell dead stop rows, really like those, felt them a ton. And I have recently incorporated pendlays, and those are definitely a keeper.

I think deadstops are a good way of developing the mind-muscle connection for the back. I do DB deadstop rows, and I can fell my whole back working when I doing it. Followed by a good lat stretch it also gives me one hell of a pump.

Totally agree. I feel that when I eliminate any momentum or swing with back exercises, it really allows me to develop mind muscle connection. For me, it almost feels like my arm is simply a lever and my lats are doing all of the work. Although I am a huge proponent of exercises like Kroc rows, which are almost the opposite of this, I believe there is a place for everything.