T Nation

Dead-Squats with Knee Issues?

If someone has a history of knee issues have you used the Dead-Squat as an alternative to the squat and would you recommend it?

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:
If someone has a history of knee issues have you used the Dead-Squat as an alternative to the squat and would you recommend it?[/quote]

Yes, for about 5 years I suffered from a knee issue that basically prevented me from squatting. I could do Dead-Squats just fine and used them instead of squats. I also had a pro hockey player with knees issues… hadn’t been able to do lower body work for most of his off-season, we used the Dead-Squat and he had no issues.

Thank you sir and I look forward to getting the red one :slight_smile:

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:
Thank you sir and I look forward to getting the red one :)[/quote]

One of the best investments you can make… be sure to experiment other exercises with it… bench press and overhead press from pins, romanian deadlifts, rowing, etc.

Just my 2 cents worth… I hadn’t squatted in years due to just too much knee pain. When I got the dead squat bar and did my first set of dead squats with 135 the pain was there again. However, with a slow warmup to 225 the pain completely disappeared 100% and still remained pain free wehn DSing with my training weight of 315. Nor did they hurt afterward.

Too, I use the Tommy Kono neopreme knee bands. Gives some support and helps the joints to heat up.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:
If someone has a history of knee issues have you used the Dead-Squat as an alternative to the squat and would you recommend it?[/quote]

Yes, for about 5 years I suffered from a knee issue that basically prevented me from squatting. I could do Dead-Squats just fine and used them instead of squats. I also had a pro hockey player with knees issues… hadn’t been able to do lower body work for most of his off-season, we used the Dead-Squat and he had no issues.[/quote]

THIS

i need a total knee replacement in my right knee, i kept squatting up until about 3 months ago, i used a very wide stance and off a high box. seemed every week the stance got wider and the box higher, as i would be in severe debilitating pain after each squat session,

i decided to dump squatting all together, and the only thing i do for my legs now are variations of the deadlift and glute ham raises.

i dodead squat bar deads, stiff leg deads, rdls, snatch grip deads, conventional deads, and sumo deads.

my two favorite are dead squat bar deads and snatch grip deads with chains.

i use weightlifting shoes for all my dead work as i want as much quad activation as possible.

and you know what, my leg size and musculature has not suffered any at all.

and i know i am about to kick a sacred cow here, but to be honest, i do not think the HUGE full thighs that lots of full squatting builds look that good on men in general.

take KK for example, he is a great deadlifter but average squatter and bencher.

i think the guys who are monsters on the deadlift and pulls, and overhead presses and dips, have more of the physique i think men should have.

i am NOT saying that one (especially a newb) should not put their time in under a squat bar in the rack, they should, but for me, i am just fine doing deadlifts for low body right now.

point in question,

i am sorry , i just think this:

i just think this:

looks better than this>

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:

Yes, for about 5 years I suffered from a knee issue that basically prevented me from squatting. I could do Dead-Squats just fine and used them instead of squats. I also had a pro hockey player with knees issues… hadn’t been able to do lower body work for most of his off-season, we used the Dead-Squat and he had no issues.[/quote]

also, my wife’s son, who at only 15 is already having college scouts look at him for lacrosse scholarships, recently suffered a minor acl tear, and while waiting for surgery i am having him do deadsquat bar deadlifts and he can do them with no pain and it is keeping his thighs and posterior chain strong.

This is awesome and yes I hope to purchase the bar real soon. Has anyone compared farmers walks with the dead-squat bar vs the farmers walk instruments?

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:
This is awesome and yes I hope to purchase the bar real soon. Has anyone compared farmers walks with the dead-squat bar vs the farmers walk instruments?[/quote]

Yes, it’s easier since it is one unit instead of two independent implements.