T Nation

Dead Marines' Dad Pays Protesters Legal Fees

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/30/westboro.baptist.snyder/index.html?hpt=T1

The son dies, the funeral is held, Westboro Church protests with signs saying “Thank God for Dead Soldiers” and “You’re going to hell…”

Dad sues church, loses, is forced to pay churches legal fees.

This Westboro Church, IMO, is just as bad as the KKK and Peta in my mind, when this whole thing occured a back in '06 it made me want to puke, and now it’s that same feeling all over again.

When should the rights of Americans be suspended in favor of basic decency and the protection of what’s proper? Should it be suspended at all? This whole situation is gross and 100% wrong in my mind.

Well, when does something like that count as harassment and inciting violence?

Disrupting any funeral is definitely class A bullshit. I agree 100%.

Watched a BBC program on that Westboro ‘church’…fucking shameful.Don’t know how they live with themselves.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/30/westboro.baptist.snyder/index.html?hpt=T1

The son dies, the funeral is held, Westboro Church protests with signs saying “Thank God for Dead Soldiers” and “You’re going to hell…”

Dad sues church, loses, is forced to pay churches legal fees.

This Westboro Church, IMO, is just as bad as the KKK and Peta in my mind, when this whole thing occured a back in '06 it made me want to puke, and now it’s that same feeling all over again.

When should the rights of Americans be suspended in favor of basic decency and the protection of what’s proper? Should it be suspended at all? This whole situation is gross and 100% wrong in my mind.[/quote]

Some of the most foul shit I have ever seen…just disgraceful.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:

Dad sues church, loses, is forced to pay churches legal fees.
[/quote]

I wasn’t aware that this happened in the US. I know that in the UK the loser pays the legal fees. I think this is an excellent idea there would be far less frivolous law suits especially against business if this were the case.

(Note: I certainly don’t agree with what occurred)

How the hell can these people claim violation of their freedom of speech, when that freedom is provided by soldiers?

[quote]thefederalist wrote:
Disrupting any funeral is definitely class A bullshit. I agree 100%.[/quote]

Phew, you are an actual human being. :wink:

V

We aught to picket their church every Sunday.

O’Reilly last night is going to pay the legal fees on behalf of that father. $17k.

There must be some legal grounds because the father won the original lawsuit. It was appealed and overturned at which point the dad was told to pay the $16000+ dollar fees. I believe the Supreme Court will be hearing the case.

I would love nothing more to “protest” those so called Christians. Protest with my foot in their face that is.

Edit: Holy Shit I had no idea this took place in Westminster, MD…that’s were I lived and enlisted at.

I just looked at the Wiki on this church and OMG are they off the deep end. This is a hate the sin and the sinner. They need to take the plank out of their eye. This is the issue with Independent Churches. When I heard they were Baptist I instantly thought no way did the Southern Baptist Convention allow this to happen?

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
There must be some legal grounds because the father won the original lawsuit. It was appealed and overturned at which point the dad was told to pay the $16000+ dollar fees. I believe the Supreme Court will be hearing the case.

I would love nothing more to “protest” those so called Christians. Protest with my foot in their face that is. [/quote]

I agree with you man.

The comments section had a poster claim Bill O’Reilly was paying the legal fees on behalf of the father. Good on him if it’s true.

V

[quote]dmaddox wrote:
I just looked at the Wiki on this church and OMG are they off the deep end. This is a hate the sin and the sinner. They need to take the plank out of their eye. This is the issue with Independent Churches. When I heard they were Baptist I instantly thought no way did the Southern Baptist Convention allow this to happen?[/quote]

I honestly don’t believe someone could get beliefs like that out of the new testament. I mean really, did they ever read the thing? There is probably a passage on every page of it that contradicts at least one of their beliefs.

[quote]Vegita wrote:
The comments section had a poster claim Bill O’Reilly was paying the legal fees on behalf of the father. Good on him if it’s true.

V[/quote]

ya I heard O’Reilly talk about it last night. he didn’t specifically say he was going to pay the fees, but that seemed like the jist of what he was saying.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:
I just looked at the Wiki on this church and OMG are they off the deep end. This is a hate the sin and the sinner. They need to take the plank out of their eye. This is the issue with Independent Churches. When I heard they were Baptist I instantly thought no way did the Southern Baptist Convention allow this to happen?[/quote]

I honestly don’t believe someone could get beliefs like that out of the new testament. I mean really, did they ever read the thing? There is probably a passage on every page of it that contradicts at least one of their beliefs.[/quote]

What I don’t get is why they protest at the funerals of fallen soldiers anyway? I read they believe God is punishing the U.S. because of homosexuality and the punishment is the death of soldiers, but why be pissed at the soldiers and not the rest of the damn country??

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:
I just looked at the Wiki on this church and OMG are they off the deep end. This is a hate the sin and the sinner. They need to take the plank out of their eye. This is the issue with Independent Churches. When I heard they were Baptist I instantly thought no way did the Southern Baptist Convention allow this to happen?[/quote]

I honestly don’t believe someone could get beliefs like that out of the new testament. I mean really, did they ever read the thing? There is probably a passage on every page of it that contradicts at least one of their beliefs.[/quote]

What I don’t get is why they protest at the funerals of fallen soldiers anyway? I read they believe God is punishing the U.S. because of homosexuality and the punishment is the death of soldiers, but why be pissed at the soldiers and not the rest of the damn country?? [/quote]

If they see getting killed as punishment from god for doing something wrong, I wonder if they would admit they were wrong if someone shot up one of their protests.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:
I just looked at the Wiki on this church and OMG are they off the deep end. This is a hate the sin and the sinner. They need to take the plank out of their eye. This is the issue with Independent Churches. When I heard they were Baptist I instantly thought no way did the Southern Baptist Convention allow this to happen?[/quote]

I honestly don’t believe someone could get beliefs like that out of the new testament. I mean really, did they ever read the thing? There is probably a passage on every page of it that contradicts at least one of their beliefs.[/quote]

What I don’t get is why they protest at the funerals of fallen soldiers anyway? I read they believe God is punishing the U.S. because of homosexuality and the punishment is the death of soldiers, but why be pissed at the soldiers and not the rest of the damn country?? [/quote]

If they see getting killed as punishment from god for doing something wrong, I wonder if they would admit they were wrong if someone shot up one of their protests. [/quote]

I imagine they would say it is just God testing their convictions as many of the stories of the bible are about God testing the chosen people.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
We aught to picket their church every Sunday.[/quote]

Now that would be fun. Listen to a sermon while people outside tell them they are going to be Satan’s bitch for all eternity. Awesome.