Dead Lifts & Sore Back

I did romainian deadlifts the other day during my work out, and actually went heavier than I have before, now I felt good during the exercise and believe I had proper form. But today, 2 days later, my lower back is sore, not like back pain sore but muscle sore, along with my hamstrings, and area around my hips.

My concern is should my back get sore doing romainian dead lifts or am I doing them wrong? Also should I look into buying a belt? I am still new at this and am only dead lifting a 6 rep max of 135lbs. Any recommendations and tips would be greatly appreciated. One last question, what is a Good Morning?

Semper Fi,Brent

So you want to work out but you’re upset if you get sore muscles? Sounds to me like all the right muscles got hit just enough. :wink:

Good morning? http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/GluteusMaximus/BBBentKneeGoodMorning.gif

DO NOT use a belt your just going to hinder yourself, the soreness is fine its normal, just dont push yourself on the dead lift when you are new to doing it.

im 6’3 296 pounds and im in the gym dead lifting only 180 for 6rm and i feel like a total pussy but i increase it nice and slow by 5 pounds if i manage all my reps.

dont let ego get in the way of progress just take it easy. go nice and slow and it will work out in the long run

Thank you for the link. Nah, I don’t mind being sore, I actually like it. Pain is weakness leaving the body! OHHH-RAH!!!

Semper Fi, Brent

[quote]john-lennon wrote:
DO NOT use a belt your just going to hinder yourself, the soreness is fine its normal, just dont push yourself on the dead lift when you are new to doing it.

im 6’3 296 pounds and im in the gym dead lifting only 180 for 6rm and i feel like a total pussy but i increase it nice and slow by 5 pounds if i manage all my reps.

dont let ego get in the way of progress just take it easy. go nice and slow and it will work out in the long run[/quote]

Thanks for the advice about the belt, I work out at home so I don’t worry about feeling like a pussy I just want to get the best workout possible. I will back off on the weight when doing deadlifts as I can barely walk at a fast pace today. Feels good, but isn’t helping me get my job done.

Semper Fi,
Brent

You should be sore and a bit stiff all over from a hard DL session but as you progress you will tend not to get quite the level of soreness that interferes with daily life that you feel in the begining.

I went through this. For me what worked was to take a week off, drop the weight by 10%, and concentrate on staying tight when letting the weight go back down (it’s easy to remember to stay tight when pulling, but also easy to lose focus on the descent). Worked like a charm. I came back stronger and blew past my old plateau.

Good luck.

you can try rack pulls (puting the bar higher off the ground to start) takes less outa you

Hi, im new here :slight_smile:
I dont quite know how to start a thread, but this one fits my question is guess.

I have problems doing the normal deadlift, at a certain ammount of weight my ass moves backwards instead of my body up, leaving me standing like gollem. Lifting then will wreck my back.

So i do the sumo deadlift, which works just fine, can lift almost twice the weight. Friends of mine say to each his own, as long as the metal gets up. Is this true or is sumo deadlifting better of worse then normal deadlifts?

greetings

Some of the comments on this thread make me shake my head.

Romanian deadlifts will make your lower back and hamstrings sore because those are the muscles the exercise targets. As long as you’re using good form, the soreness should be nothing to worry about. If the soreness bothers you, do a search on Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) for ways to improve your recovery methods.

You don’t need a belt now and probably won’t need to even think about using one until your deadlift hits at least 300 or 400lbs. Keep focusing on progressing your DL numbers while using good form and you’ll be fine for a couple of years.

[quote]scumbummer wrote:
So i do the sumo deadlift, which works just fine, can lift almost twice the weight.
[/quote]

your “normal” deadlift prolly isn’t a deadlift if there is such a difference between the two.

I personally don’t think one form is “better” than the other… but I guess one could be “easier” for a person depending on limb length, strength/weakness, etc.

e.g. i got short arms and legs, so sumo is definitely easier for me, but the difference between the two is only about 10kg.

[quote]AgentOrange wrote:

Romanian deadlifts will make your lower back and hamstrings sore because those are the muscles the exercise targets. As long as you’re using good form, the soreness should be nothing to worry about. If the soreness bothers you, do a search on Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) for ways to improve your recovery methods.

You don’t need a belt now and probably won’t need to even think about using one until your deadlift hits at least 300 or 400lbs. Keep focusing on progressing your DL numbers while using good form and you’ll be fine for a couple of years.[/quote]

At least now I know I was doing them correctly. I am going to look into DOMS. I was wondering about Post Workout Nutrition. I only use a whey shake after my workout, should I look into something else for recovery?

[quote]WantAbs wrote:
AgentOrange wrote:

You don’t need a belt now and probably won’t need to even think about using one until your deadlift hits at least 300 or 400lbs. Keep focusing on progressing your DL numbers while using good form and you’ll be fine for a couple of years.

At least now I know I was doing them correctly. I am going to look into DOMS. I was wondering about Post Workout Nutrition. I only use a whey shake after my workout, should I look into something else for recovery?

[/quote]

Check out Surge. You want a quick digesting protein with a nice amount of simple carbohydrates post workout.

[quote]BoxBabaX wrote:
Check out Surge. You want a quick digesting protein with a nice amount of simple carbohydrates post workout.
[/quote]

Thanks for the recommendation. I will look into it. I see it’s out of stock right now so I guess I won’t be ordering it today ;( I will do a search on this site for other recommended recovery supplements that I can use until this one is back in stock.

If there isnt a “better” way of deadlifting ill keep up the sumo, maybe later gonna try the “normal” Thanks for the info!

offtopic: this site rocks!!! after a workout with slayer or kreator plugged in norhing is better then checking out other peoples ideas and info. Keep it up!

Greetings