T Nation

Dead Lift Form

Hello, I've been lifting seriously for five months now and I've so far dead lifted 340 for one. It felt good, and just for peace of mind today I recorded a couple sets and I saw my lower back rounding which of course I would like to fix. So here the videos are, what do I need to change in my deads?

The first vid is 315x5 and the second is a lighter after that of 225x5 so I could get a video of my form at a lighter weight.

Don't let your shoulders roll forward. And you're lifting first with your legs and then with your back - that's a quick way to throw your back out, especially once you start going really heavy. You should be pulling with your legs and back simultaneously, not one before the other.

yess, maybe wil squezing your lats very tight help you with that. before you start your rep look if your lats are tight, shoulders back and start from there

I only see the 225x5. Your form looks good. Repost the 315x5.

Could it just be that the weight is too heavy for my shoulders despite the rest of my body being more than up to it? Also, are my hips too high?

Like just flexing my lats? Also, should I be trying to pull my scapulas back to pinch them together?

Here's the 315

I doubt that it has anything to do with your shoulder strength, but rather just not rotating them back enough. Really flex your rear delts and pinch your lats when you're pulling. Having your shoulders rotated back should help increase the weight you can pull, since it'll bring the bar closer to you and let you pull it up more in a straight line... but you do need to lower your hips, which will probably keep you from lifting as heavy for the time being, so who knows, they may balance out lol. But overall, it should help tremendously - this dude who showed my husband and I some deadlifting tips lifted like that and he pulled 900 lbs. You want to look like you would at the bottom of the squat (assuming you're going ATG, which you should be lol) when you're pulling a deadlift. Even if you have to drop weight, it'll pay off in the end to have your hips lower, especially as far as helping to avoid injury goes.

225 looks pretty good. Flat back and hips and shoulders rising at the same time.

315, you're starting to let your low back round. If there's going to be any rounding it should only happen in the thoracic and upper back. If you're goals are sport or physique oriented I wouldn't allow much if any rounding in the back anywhere.

On both lifts, I highly recommend you get your air and tightness before you lower yourself down to the bar. Also don't spend forever on the bottom, you're losing your stretch reflex there. Or if you do spend a lot of time in the bottom to set up, try pushing your hips up and then back down into proper position to build tension in your hamstrings and immediately lift.

Thanks for the replies! So I need to lower my hips, and pull my shoulders back? Also, pulling my shoulders back is that what will take care of the rounding of the lumbar vertebrae?

What will help keep you from rounding your back is to REALLY flex your lumbar when you're setting yourself up, almost like you're trying to pop your butt out. Most guys I know have a little trouble getting a proper lumbar curve so it might take a little practice just standing up straight before you apply it to your deadlift, but it will help keep your back from rounding.

First of all. You're not setting back enough. Your shins are far from vertical that throws the angle from your shoulder to the bar off. Your shoulders are further ahead than the bar. They should be on the top of each other. Besides, your ass shoots up 2 inches before the lift begins. Everything should movie in unison.

Second: Beebopalooa says that the bottom of a deadlift should be like the bottom of a squat. Nope. It shall not. It's not a hack-squat. It's a deadlift. Only olympic lifters squat up the weight for snatches and C&J's

GL :slightly_smiling:

PS: Drop the shoes, you may then sit back and use your posterior chain to it's full potential.

This is the guy who I met and who showed me deadlifting form. The tip about deadlifting and squatting being almost identical at the bottom is word-for-word advice from him:

www.jimwendler.com/2013/04/bulgarian-strongman/

Like I said, he pulls 900 lb deadlifts, so I'm gonna hazard a guess that he knew what he was talking about.

I'm sorry. but for real. This is close to 700 lbs deadlift from your guy, and this wouldn't even be accepted at any powerlifting event.

I don't know why his shins aren't more vertical than that. His knees are basically over his toes, it makes him crane the weight up at the top half of the lift.

That video is disturbing. I don't ever want to progress if that is what my lifts are going to end up looking like.

bARF

Did you check the date on the video? It's two years old. When we met him - last fall - he had herniated three vertebrae because of how he was deadlifting previously (and that really is some terrible counterbalancing in the video, I hurt just watching it), and that's WHY he changed his form. But I'm not going to hijack someone else's thread to argue deadlift form with someone who's been training for less than six months, so carry on.

You posted your video on here because you wanted to get better at deadlifting.

Things that will help your deadlift guaranteed:

Buy Starting Strength by Rippetoe read the Deadlift section.
Go to Youtube watch Clint Darden deadlift videos.
Discover Elitefts.com and ask questions there.

Every body is different, find your strongest/safest form.

Understand that one form, one motion, one concept doesn't work for everyone.
Find your form, the one your strongest in and go from there.
The road from 315 to 500, 500 to 800 isn't measured by days, it is measured in what you discover works for you and by applying it.

So what is his new form? Because the OP doesn't need to lower his hips, and most people don't. What they need to do is just position their feet properly.

I generally agree here. One shouldn't be squatting up the weight. The deadlift is not a squat with the bar in your hands; this is something I myself need to work on.

See http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/14-deadlift-tips-and-tricks/

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/long-arms-high-hips-strong-deadlifts/

I have been well served following this advice, there absolutely no doubt that Mark Rippetoe knows what he is doing.