DE Squat/Bench for Weakling

I’m working on it, but I’m not quite up to the 2x body weight squat, or even deadlift yet. I weigh 170 w/ a 225 squat, 255 dl, and a 210 bench. I haven’t tested in a month, but thats not really the point.

The point is, I’m weak, and I’m wondering if I should be concerned w/ dynamic effort training yet. I’m not a powerlifter, I just want to be athletic for whatever i do, mostly pickup basketball.

I realize that i need to get stronger. Thats the big plan for right now, and while constructing my program for the future, I’m unsure of when i should start to incorporate DE.

Any and all help appreciated

At this point, in my opinion, you don’t have to worry about the dynamic method yet. I think I read somewhere that, at this stage, building strength will be enough to improve explosiveness.

I’m unsure of when you should incorporate the DE method. (I don’t know the exact guideline, but I think CW had one in one of his articles)

Anyway, my suggestion is to keep working up ur limit/relative strength.

Hope this helps

[quote]gdublong29 wrote:
I’m working on it, but I’m not quite up to the 2x body weight squat, or even deadlift yet. I weigh 170 w/ a 225 squat, 255 dl, and a 210 bench. I haven’t tested in a month, but thats not really the point.

The point is, I’m weak, and I’m wondering if I should be concerned w/ dynamic effort training yet. I’m not a powerlifter, I just want to be athletic for whatever i do, mostly pickup basketball.

I realize that i need to get stronger. Thats the big plan for right now, and while constructing my program for the future, I’m unsure of when i should start to incorporate DE.

Any and all help appreciated[/quote]

Yeah I was thinking the same thing you are. My original idea was to build the strength. I just got the Ultimate offseason, so if anyone is familiar w/ it, DE would be filling the glass instead of making it larger right?

[quote]gdublong29 wrote:
Yeah I was thinking the same thing you are. My original idea was to build the strength. I just got the Ultimate offseason, so if anyone is familiar w/ it, DE would be filling the glass instead of making it larger right?[/quote]

Yea, DE would be filling the glass, but ME method would be increasing your levels of maximal strength by making the glass bigger.

I would use the tests outlined in the manual to see where you are on the static-spring proficiency spectrum.

Power= Velocity x Force

You need to be able to produce a large amount of force in a small amount of time. This is rate of force development and reactive ability. If you don’t have the ability to produce a “large” amount of force, then you will not be reaching your full potential.

Either way, at the level of strength that you’re at now, keep strength as a main priority, but you can also probably include a little DE work without detriment.

-MAtt

as others have said I wouldnt do dedicated DE work Id just do as one should all your other work as explosive as you can work on speed while working on maximal strength and some RE work.

Phill

You have a ton of work to do.

Don’t get swept up my the WSBB method, get some mass on you and do some progressive overload and RE work.

Without seeing you lift I would think you have 2 probable major issues. First would be your squat and deadlift technique, and to a lesser degree your bench technique. Second would be you probably have some serious muscle weaknesses.

Instead of DE days, you could do a sort of technique day. Do very light weight and focus on technique. On one day do this for squats and deadlifts, the other do this for bench. I like doing box squats even for beginners because I feel it teaches them proper technique and they don’t have to worry about getting deep enough. Start with the box at a height that you don’t drop onto it and gradually lower the box until you are at or below parallel. Again, the focus should be completely on technique. Once your technique gets better start increasing the speed.

On your max days I like doing a variety of exercises and constantly trying to pr them. As a beginner, you should be making big progress for a while. I feel that if you just try to squat, deadlift and bench every week and try to set PR’s on them, you will stall quickly. I don’t suggest doing bands or chains yet, but try different max exercises and try to PR them always. If you can’t, no big deal, but try. Here is a list of some exercises for each lift you can do on ME days.

Squat lifts: Free Squat, Box Squat (vary box height), Safety Squat Bar Squat (if you have it), Good Mornings of all kinds (do 3RM or 5RM on these)

Deadlift Lifts: Deadlift, Deadlift off Box (2", 4"), Good Mornings (same way as squat day)

Bench Lifts: Bench, Floor Press, Board Presses (all kinds)

When you get stronger add chains and bands to these exercises. The rest of your lifts should hit the backside of your body (Upper back, Lats, Triceps, Shoulders on bench days. Lower back, Glutes, Hamstrings, Abs on leg days.) and should be done with the goal of putting on mass. For most people this means higher reps of relatively heavy weight. Also, try to vary these exercises from workout to workout.

This is pretty much a Westside template. I started powerlifting 9 months ago and was at 170lbs and tried the basic bench, squat and deadlift all the time method. I made improvement then quickly stalled. I was fortunate enough to meet a couple of good training partners and I started doing what I have outlined above. In the 6 months I have been training with them I have increased my weight to 190lbs and increased my total more than 200 pounds and have constantly made PR’s. As a beginner gains should be easy if you just keep the body guessing.

[quote]SprinterOne wrote:
Without seeing you lift I would think you have 2 probable major issues. First would be your squat and deadlift technique, and to a lesser degree your bench technique. Second would be you probably have some serious muscle weaknesses.

Instead of DE days, you could do a sort of technique day. Do very light weight and focus on technique. On one day do this for squats and deadlifts, the other do this for bench. I like doing box squats even for beginners because I feel it teaches them proper technique and they don’t have to worry about getting deep enough. Start with the box at a height that you don’t drop onto it and gradually lower the box until you are at or below parallel. Again, the focus should be completely on technique. Once your technique gets better start increasing the speed.

On your max days I like doing a variety of exercises and constantly trying to pr them. As a beginner, you should be making big progress for a while. I feel that if you just try to squat, deadlift and bench every week and try to set PR’s on them, you will stall quickly. I don’t suggest doing bands or chains yet, but try different max exercises and try to PR them always. If you can’t, no big deal, but try. Here is a list of some exercises for each lift you can do on ME days.

Squat lifts: Free Squat, Box Squat (vary box height), Safety Squat Bar Squat (if you have it), Good Mornings of all kinds (do 3RM or 5RM on these)

Deadlift Lifts: Deadlift, Deadlift off Box (2", 4"), Good Mornings (same way as squat day)

Bench Lifts: Bench, Floor Press, Board Presses (all kinds)

When you get stronger add chains and bands to these exercises. The rest of your lifts should hit the backside of your body (Upper back, Lats, Triceps, Shoulders on bench days. Lower back, Glutes, Hamstrings, Abs on leg days.) and should be done with the goal of putting on mass. For most people this means higher reps of relatively heavy weight. Also, try to vary these exercises from workout to workout.

This is pretty much a Westside template. I started powerlifting 9 months ago and was at 170lbs and tried the basic bench, squat and deadlift all the time method. I made improvement then quickly stalled. I was fortunate enough to meet a couple of good training partners and I started doing what I have outlined above. In the 6 months I have been training with them I have increased my weight to 190lbs and increased my total more than 200 pounds and have constantly made PR’s. As a beginner gains should be easy if you just keep the body guessing.

[/quote]

Thanks sprinterone … sounds like a really good idea… I don’t think my techinque is too bad, but i’m sure it could use some work. After reading your post i’ve realized one of my major flaws…trying to set prs by just doing the big 3 all the time like you did. I’m definately going to vary my workouts more, and my main lifts when I write up my program for next semester.

Thanks for all the ideas