T Nation

De-Load vs Rest vs Contrast Week

So I've been doing 5/3/1 for nearly a year now, and i'm still making steady gains on my max lifts etc.
I was just curious what everyones position is on de-load week vs total rest week vs contrast week?
I have been doing the de-load week, and Naturally by the end of it my body feels great and I'm hungry to smash the next workout. This for me has been a great intrinsic motivator, and why I've kept doing it even though sometimes it is frustrating or boring, especially when I've had a great lift the week before and want to keep it rolling.

Some articles suggest a complete week off, and others suggest a contrast week where I might do more of a body building week?
If a contrast week was a good idea, does anyone see a problem doing more of an olympic lifting dynamic week, like snatch pulls, segmented cleans etc? sub-maximal weight for more speed/technique or do you think that would detract from my normal routine?

[quote]kleinhound wrote:
So I’ve been doing 5/3/1 for nearly a year now, and i’m still making steady gains on my max lifts etc.

If a contrast week was a good idea, does anyone see a problem doing more of an olympic lifting dynamic week, like snatch pulls, segmented cleans etc? sub-maximal weight for more speed/technique or do you think that would detract from my normal routine?[/quote]

If you are steadily progressing towards your goals, then I see a problem with doing anything differently than you’re currently doing it. It’s working, don’t “fix” it.

gotcha. Thanks dude, I think I was just letting myself get carried away thinking about what else I could be doing, instead of what’s actually working.

[quote]kleinhound wrote:
gotcha. Thanks dude, I think I was just letting myself get carried away thinking about what else I could be doing, instead of what’s actually working.[/quote]

With all the info out there, it’s very easy to think yourself out of progress. I’ve done it more times than I’d like to remember.

Glad you found something that’s working for you.

I would advise that you do what you need to do AT THAT CURRENT TIME.

Some things you have to push you body and mind. Others require some thought as to where you are at the time. Use your head and common sense. If you fuck up, this will be noted in your training log. Thus you can learn for next time.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
I would advise that you do what you need to do AT THAT CURRENT TIME.

Some things you have to push you body and mind. Others require some thought as to where you are at the time. Use your head and common sense. If you fuck up, this will be noted in your training log. Thus you can learn for next time. [/quote]

Thats what I imagined you might say. Thanks man, I’ll listen to my body and note how it goes. You’re a legend mate.