De La Hoya-Mayweather

[quote]Jack_Dempsey wrote:
John Smith wrote:
No one wanted to listen when I told them mayweather would win.

Wasn’t PBF at -180 going into the fight? Yeah, way to go out on a limb.[/quote]

180 ? try 148

[quote]John Smith wrote:
No one wanted to listen when I told them mayweather would win. [/quote]

Yeah, you picked the clear cut favorite to win, you must be a goddamned genius.

Definetely a good fight, I think they both fought to the best of their abilities and Floyd won a close decision which is what should have happened on paper if all went as planned. I would have liked to see Oscar commit to the jab more, but oh well.

[quote]Mad Titan wrote:
Jack_Dempsey wrote:
John Smith wrote:

Wasn’t PBF at -180 going into the fight? Yeah, way to go out on a limb.

180 ? try 148
[/quote]

Floyd opened at -200 and it was at -180 a couple of days ago when I was considering putting some money down on Floyd. It may have dropped again with more late money. Regardless, Floyd was the favorite.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

And for once, can we talk about boxing without the motherfucking UFC coming up? Go start your own thread about that fucking bush league shit, and leave the people who like boxing to talk about boxing.[/quote]

Who cares…both sports are great in there own right. To belittle one of them is childish. To show preference of one over another is a different story. Quit whining.

Rounds 1-3

Rounds 4-6

Rounds 7-9

Rounds 10-12

Last bit

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
yanksta wrote:
But this fight reminded me of why I like boxing a hundred times more than ufc.

It had the opposite effect for me. I love any kind of combat sport where both fighters come looking to scrap. PBF had a winning gameplan and executed it to perfection, but but he wasn’t interested in fighting. He wasn’t interested in finishing the fight. He was perfectly content to coast his way to a judges decision. That’s not a combat mentality … that’s a figure skating mentality.

This fight reminded me of the Arlovski-Werdum fight at UFC 70, where the winning fighter was perfectly content to score points and let the judges decide things rather than looking to finish the fight. IMO, MMA’s biggest advantage over boxing is that very few fighters are content to let the decision go to the judges. MMA fighters are obsessed with finishing fights.

How many HUGE boxing matches have you seen recently that ended in anything other than a judges decision? It seems none of the elite level guys are ever willing to throw caution to the wind and go for the stoppage when they are facing off against an evenly matched opponent. And that sucks IMO.[/quote]

Look at it this way, big boxing matches happen much less often than the “big” UFC matches. Boxing sells the fights that are actually BIG, while UFC calls any fight they can the next huge fight. UFC has more knockouts naturally because of the gear that they wear. A lot less protection there compared to boxing.

If boxers wore those gloves, you would see alot more knockouts to. But thats not boxing, boxing isn’t a street fight, its a tactical war. UFC fighters will never understand what it means to be tactical because they fight three to five round fights and take huge beatings exponentially faster than in boxing.

Boxing is its own sport. UFC is its own sport to. I respect UFC fighters immensely but I think that boxing is an art and ufc is a brawl.

Boxing fans dont always watch fights just to see a knockout. I love watching Pacquiao or Hatton get in the ring regardless if they knock the other guy out or not. You have to appreciate the strategy that goes along with the sport.

[quote]Kreal7 wrote:
The most ridiculous thing was when they played the Mexican national anthem. Oscar was born and raised in east LA. What a joke.
[/quote]

Im pretty sure you could consider east LA Mexico.

[quote]Mad Titan wrote:
Jack_Dempsey wrote:
John Smith wrote:

Wasn’t PBF at -180 going into the fight? Yeah, way to go out on a limb.

180 ? try 148
[/quote]
Not weight in lbs. Vegas boxing odds. Mayweather was at -185. It means you have to put down 185 dollars to win 100 dollars. De La Hoya was at +155. Put down $100, win $155

[quote]Mad Titan wrote:
I don’t really care too much for his style but hey it works for him. He’s 38-0, 24 by ko. [/quote]

LOL. It amazes me that people act as if Mayweather just runs away from people when he has 24 knockouts. Most of Mayweather’s critics do not understand boxing.

Mayweather has a style, sure. But it was up to De La Hoya to find a way to counter that style. He didn’t. Thus, Mayweather is the better boxer.

HTis is just a non-boxing fan’s perspective, so take it for what it’s worth…

I thought the fight was entertaining without being satisfying. At no point in the fight did I ever feel like either fighter was in danger of being finished. Thus, there was no “edge of your seat” anticipation that something big was about to happen, someone had gotten the upperhand and was about to do something with it. De La Hoya following up his offense and unleashing flurries made it seem like he was causing more damage.

I was unaware that accuracy counted for so much in winning the fight. It seemed to me that De La Hoya throwing more punches and landing approximately the same amount as floyd (IN THE EARLY ROUNDS THAT IS,) combined with the fact that dlh was the one pressing the action would give the early rounds to floyd.

so like i said, entertaining, but not satisfying, I’m glad I wasn’t the one paying for it, and I dont know that I would watch a rematch even if it were free

not trying to make value jedgements, just give an outsider’s perspective

[quote]yanksta wrote:

I respect UFC fighters immensely but I think that boxing is an art and ufc is a brawl.

[/quote]

I agree, but that sword cuts both ways. You also have to appreciate the strategy that goes into MMA.

There are so many different ways to finish an MMA fight other than a ‘knockout’. You have to respect the strategy of a great BJJ fighter getting the takedown, working himself into a dominant position, and securing the submission. You have to respect the strategy of a great judoka getting his opponent off balance, executing a perfect throw, and locking up a submission before the guy can recover.

You have to respect the strategy of a great wrestler executing a picture-perfect single leg takedown, passing guard, and dropping elbows until the other guy gives up his back. You have to respect the strategy of a great muay thai fighter chopping his opponents legs out from under him and then finishing him off with a knee from the clinch.

The thing that gets me, is that most combat sports are universally respected as a single discipline (wrestling, judo, BJJ, Sambo, boxing, kickboxing, etc.), but when you throw them all together into one sport they somehow become ‘barbaric’ or an ‘unskilled brawl’. That is bullfeces IMO.

I love all of the individual combat sports, boxing included, but MMA is my favorite because I can see techniques from multiple sports all utilized in the same match.

[quote]titopuente wrote:
Im pretty sure you could consider east LA Mexico.[/quote]

That is true, but he is American…

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
yanksta wrote:

I love all of the individual combat sports, boxing included, but MMA is my favorite because I can see techniques from multiple sports all utilized in the same match. [/quote]

I guess the reason that it is considered to be a brawl is because when you spend all that time working on so many different aspects of fighting, you never master one of them. Its a bunch of fighters who all have above average skills in different areas of fighting but most of them arent exceptional in any one of them. Id rather see two guys who have mastered punching each other then watch two guys who have gotten good at five different styles go at it.

But thats my opinion and everyone has got their own so it doesn’t really matter.

I just wanted to share a bit of stupidity I hear the other day.

My friend: “Dude, Chuck Liddel could totally take all these boxer guys.”

[quote]yanksta wrote:
Steve4192 wrote:
yanksta wrote:

I love all of the individual combat sports, boxing included, but MMA is my favorite because I can see techniques from multiple sports all utilized in the same match.

I guess the reason that it is considered to be a brawl is because when you spend all that time working on so many different aspects of fighting, you never master one of them. Its a bunch of fighters who all have above average skills in different areas of fighting but most of them arent exceptional in any one of them. Id rather see two guys who have mastered punching each other then watch two guys who have gotten good at five different styles go at it.

But thats my opinion and everyone has got their own so it doesn’t really matter.[/quote]

Why do boxing fans always sound so ignorant?

Do you have any clue what caliber of talent has found its way into MMA? Olympic wrestlers/judoka. Top contenders in kickboxing. etc…

The problem is that you have no concept of combat sports outside of boxing. The reality is that there are a plethora of combat sports with top quality athletes that are now interested in MMA (this is especially true of grappling talent that did not have a popular venue for showcasing grappling skills).

MMA has a different skill set that more closely mimics real fighting. Its its own sweet science. And its flexible ruleset is what makes it exciting.

Floyd can box. But he cant fight. Put him in a ring with a UFC lightweight and he will get taken down and beaten furiously. Sure makes “boxing is a combat sport” ring hollow in my ears.

Oh yeah, I watched the “fight”. Two champions should be at each others throat. These two were happy to essentially jab at each other for the first five rounds. Boring.

How can two guys go at it for a half hour and look like they just got done with a casual run. Not a freaking mark on either of them. They were not even breathing particularly hard.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Mad Titan wrote:
I don’t really care too much for his style but hey it works for him. He’s 38-0, 24 by ko.

LOL. It amazes me that people act as if Mayweather just runs away from people when he has 24 knockouts. Most of Mayweather’s critics do not understand boxing.

Mayweather has a style, sure. But it was up to De La Hoya to find a way to counter that style. He didn’t. Thus, Mayweather is the better boxer.[/quote]

my sentiments exactly. people keep saying he scared and running away. he wasn’t .

[quote]Agressive Napkin wrote:

My friend: “Dude, Chuck Liddel could totally take all these boxer guys.”[/quote]

In an MMA match he certainly could.

[quote]Agressive Napkin wrote:

My friend: “Dude, Chuck Liddel could totally take all these boxer guys.”[/quote]

Chuck Liddel would get his ass kicked. However it would be much better to watch. At least one of them would not be scared to get hit or throw a punch. We need to take boxing back to the early 1900’s when people fought until somebody got knocked out.

Floyd and Oscar just ended the sport of boxing. The most hyped up fight since the Tyson days, and all we saw were jabs, amd a few punching flurries on futile attempts to excite the crowd. I think the shit talking was more entertaining. Personally I’d rather watch Mike tyson and floyd mayweather sit in the ring and talk shit to each other.

Anybody that says boxing is an art, and can’t see that the last 10 years boxing has become more about points then fighting can not be a true fan. I guess thats why everybody likes watching amatuers fight, at least their in it for the fight.

[quote]yanksta wrote:

I guess the reason that it is considered to be a brawl is because when you spend all that time working on so many different aspects of fighting, you never master one of them. Its a bunch of fighters who all have above average skills in different areas of fighting but most of them arent exceptional in any one of them. Id rather see two guys who have mastered punching each other then watch two guys who have gotten good at five different styles go at it.[/quote]

While there is some truth to that, it is not entirely correct. The american MMA scene has certainly cranked out more than it’s share of ‘jack of all trades, master of none’ types recently. However, there are still plenty of fighters who are masters in their original discipline. Dan Henderson, Matt Lindland, & Randy Couture were all Olympians in Greco Roman wrestling. Marcio Cruz, Gabe Gonzaga, & Fabrico Werdum are all Mundials &/or ADCC grappling champions. Mark Hunt is a K1 Grand Prix champion. Hidehiko Yoshida & Pawel Nastula are Olympic medalists in Judo.

There are plenty of ‘world class’ athletes in MMA who are truly masters of their base discipline. Problem is, very few people know who the world class wrestlers/judokas/kickboxers are, so they assume that these guys are just some bums off the street.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Agressive Napkin wrote:

My friend: “Dude, Chuck Liddel could totally take all these boxer guys.”

Chuck Liddel would get his ass kicked. However it would be much better to watch. At least one of them would not be scared to get hit or throw a punch. We need to take boxing back to the early 1900’s when people fought until somebody got knocked out.

Floyd and Oscar just ended the sport of boxing. The most hyped up fight since the Tyson days, and all we saw were jabs, amd a few punching flurries on futile attempts to excite the crowd. I think the shit talking was more entertaining. Personally I’d rather watch Mike tyson and floyd mayweather sit in the ring and talk shit to each other.

Anybody that says boxing is an art, and can’t see that the last 10 years boxing has become more about points then fighting can not be a true fan. I guess thats why everybody likes watching amatuers fight, at least their in it for the fight. [/quote]

Valid points, but man, these guys are middlweights. Not only that, but both of them are boxers, not brawlers. What’d you want? Them to stand toe to toe and bang out when neither of them does that anyway?