De La Hoya-Mayweather

Someone? Anybody? Please!!! Who is winning or has won?

I would like to know myself… someone please post

By split decision (115-113, De La Hoya; 116-112, 115-113, Floyd Mayweather)

Mayweather won a split desiscion from what I gathered from google, I didn’t watch the fight, i would never waste 55 bucks on boxing

Mayweather won. Split decision.

I personally think Mayweather should have won, but de la hoya got jipped on rounds 4 and 8. Those definitly should have been his.

Up to round 9, IMO de la hoya looked better than Mayweather, but the tables seriously turned from there.

Mayweather had the right idea about waiting til the end so de la hoya got tired and then was able to really pick up the pace on the offensive.

The thing I noticed though was, especially in the beginning of the fight, Mayweather was throwing a lot of punches that looked like they were being landed, but de la hoya did an incredible job of blocking.

Thanks… seems the fight went as most predicted and also may have been actually a good fight that may have lived up to the hype

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

I personally think Mayweather should have won, but de la hoya got jipped on rounds 4 and 8. Those definitly should have been his.

Up to round 9, IMO de la hoya looked better than Mayweather, but the tables seriously turned from there.

Mayweather had the right idea about waiting til the end so de la hoya got tired and then was able to really pick up the pace on the offensive.

The thing I noticed though was, especially in the beginning of the fight, Mayweather was throwing a lot of punches that looked like they were being landed, but de la hoya did an incredible job of blocking.[/quote]

Mayweather was afraid to actually fight. All he did was score points but he wouldn’t fight. I give credit to Oscar for not being afraid like Mayweather.

[quote]vbm537 wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:

The thing I noticed though was, especially in the beginning of the fight, Mayweather was throwing a lot of punches that looked like they were being landed, but de la hoya did an incredible job of blocking.

Mayweather was afraid to actually fight. All he did was score points but he wouldn’t fight. I give credit to Oscar for not being afraid like Mayweather.[/quote]

110% agreed

[quote]vbm537 wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:

Mayweather was afraid to actually fight. All he did was score points but he wouldn’t fight. I give credit to Oscar for not being afraid like Mayweather.[/quote]

Mayweather wasnt afraid to fight son, thats his boxing style. Its hit and run, get in get out. I thought the fight was easily mayweathers looking at accuracy and stats.

However, oscar had the crowd on his side easily and they swayed the one judge who scored oscar winning. That was a ridiculous call on his part.

Oscar was more active, but he didnt do anything with his punches. Mayweathers defense is stellar, and he dodged, ducked, and deflected everything thrown his way.

I gotta say, I had been watching more ufc lately. But this fight reminded me of why I like boxing a hundred times more than ufc. I got excited to watch a sport for once.

UFC is going down. Boxing is going way up! (haha yea right)

I think that if De La Hoya would have actually punched more, he would have won the fight.

I couldn’t believe his comment at the end when asked about why he didn’t use the left jab more: he said that it worked every time he used it, but it wasn’t the night for the left jab.

Too bad it wasn’t, he would have won the fight if he would have used it more.

[quote]vbm537 wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:

spoken like someone who hasn’t watched mayweather fight before or at the most new to it. The first time I saw him fight I thought the samething. He’s a defensive fighter. I don’t really care too much for his style but hey it works for him. He’s 38-0, 24 by ko.

Oscar tonight went away from what was working which was the jab. Overall the fight went the way it should have. Mayweather landed almost literally twice as many punches as Oscar while at the same time throwing exactly 106 punches less than oscar. Most of Oscar’s punches went to the spot mayweather used to be (meaning he was too quick for oscar) or were blocked. The fight was okay it reminded me why I Love mma so much.

[quote]jpb wrote:
I think that if De La Hoya would have actually punched more, he would have won the fight.

I couldn’t believe his comment at the end when asked about why he didn’t use the left jab more: he said that it worked every time he used it, but it wasn’t the night for the left jab.

Too bad it wasn’t, he would have won the fight if he would have used it more.[/quote]

He needed to use the jab. He needed to double up on the jab. And, he should have kept banging inside when he got Mayweather in the corners or on the ropes.

Every time he’d flurry and back up, or PBF would clinch, and Oscar would back out more than was necessary and let PBF take the middle again. And finally, it looked like PBF would be meat for a few uppercuts every time he ducked under Oscar’s punches and into de la Hoya.

I really hate the fact that jackass won. Did you see his prefight stunt with the sombrero? Man I hate him.

[quote]vbm537 wrote:

It is boxing, not a street fight. The objective is to score points… Mayweather had a game plan and it worked.

Oscar did press the action though if that is what you were trying to say. I also thought he landed more punches than what the statistics showed. Oscar surprised me though, I thought he would completely fall apart in round eight or nine.

I thought it was hilarious when Mayweather came out with the sombrero. After that I wanted him to win.

The most ridiculous thing was when they played the Mexican national anthem. Oscar was born and raised in east LA. What a joke.

[quote]yanksta wrote:
But this fight reminded me of why I like boxing a hundred times more than ufc.[/quote]

It had the opposite effect for me. I love any kind of combat sport where both fighters come looking to scrap. PBF had a winning gameplan and executed it to perfection, but but he wasn’t interested in fighting. He wasn’t interested in finishing the fight. He was perfectly content to coast his way to a judges decision. That’s not a combat mentality … that’s a figure skating mentality.

This fight reminded me of the Arlovski-Werdum fight at UFC 70, where the winning fighter was perfectly content to score points and let the judges decide things rather than looking to finish the fight. IMO, MMA’s biggest advantage over boxing is that very few fighters are content to let the decision go to the judges. MMA fighters are obsessed with finishing fights.

How many HUGE boxing matches have you seen recently that ended in anything other than a judges decision? It seems none of the elite level guys are ever willing to throw caution to the wind and go for the stoppage when they are facing off against an evenly matched opponent. And that sucks IMO.

No one wanted to listen when I told them mayweather would win.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/boxing/la-boxing6may06-pg,0,4079450.photogallery?coll=la-home-headlines&index=7

Image highlights, enjoy!

[quote]John Smith wrote:
No one wanted to listen when I told them mayweather would win. [/quote]

Wasn’t PBF at -180 going into the fight? Yeah, way to go out on a limb.

DLH should have pulled a Tyson on his ass.

It’ll be a travesty if Mayweather retires with that record.

Please fight hatton, preferably in manchester.

[quote]supermick wrote:
DLH should have pulled a Tyson on his ass.

It’ll be a travesty if Mayweather retires with that record.

Please fight hatton, preferably in manchester.[/quote]

Agreed. DLH isn’t powerful enough to put Mayweather down. Hatton is. And that’s the only way you’re going to beat Mayweather- knocking his ass out, because you’ll never win in a decision. Hatton is one of my favorites right now…

Although I have to say, Mayweather coming out with 50 rapping right next to him as he was walking was pretty badass…

And for once, can we talk about boxing without the motherfucking UFC coming up? Go start your own thread about that fucking bush league shit, and leave the people who like boxing to talk about boxing.