T Nation

DE Information

Hey guys, lately i’ve been wanting to include some DE squats to my workouts, but I can’t seem to understand how they are supposed to be done. Am I supposed to lower the weight slowly, pause at the bottom, and then explode back up?

Or should I be trying to do both the eccentric and concentric phase of the lift as fast as possible? And my next question is should I be doing those squats using a box or not?

Thanks in advance people

[quote]Sir Crimson wrote:
Hey guys, lately i’ve been wanting to include some DE squats to my workouts, but I can’t seem to understand how they are supposed to be done. Am I supposed to lower the weight slowly, pause at the bottom, and then explode back up?

Or should I be trying to do both the eccentric and concentric phase of the lift as fast as possible? And my next question is should I be doing those squats using a box or not?

Thanks in advance people[/quote]

The traditional westside speed squat is done with a fast eccentric, paused on a box.

That doesn’t mean that you have to do it that way.

I’ve done them slowly onto a box to get the feel of the movement, I’ve done them without the box at all.

You can also give jump squats a shot.

Do them whichever way you feel most comfortable, and don’t worry about not having the perfect equipment.

Cool, thanks for the help, it’s appreciated. I’m thinking of adding these in for a few weeks and then doing smolov’s squat cycle.