T Nation

De-Evolution of Shaker Bottles

Why has protein shaker bottle design continued to get worse ? It used to be that things got better but man, not in this area. I have an old Prolab shaker bottle I got years ago at the Arnold. It was the dome but the lid was snap on and NOT screw on with a very fine grate that really mixes well. It has never leaked in over 5 years of use.

Then everyone started going with screw on lids with the rubber gaskets but they eventually all start leaking and even one that is usually reliable will leak if not screwed on exactly right.

Hey at least they kept the fine grate to bust stuff up. Now the only shakers I can find anywhere are screw on with a wagon wheel spoke design to serve as the mixer (which leaves awful clumps) and a “pressure release” thing on the back thats sole purpose is to pop open and leak.

Why in the name of god can’t someone make a shaker bottle that won’t leak ? And why does the design just keep getting worse ?

I totally agree with you, you would think that in today’s world they would make Ipod powered shakers or something rediculous… well… at least something that doesn’t leak. At my local supplement store they have these sweet ass ones that don’t use a grate thing and use the shape of the inside of the bottle to mix, the cap just pops on, no gaskets, no screwing, no hinges, no bullshit.

Maybe you’ve found a business opportunity?

This is why I just use a glass and a spoon.

The best shaker ever! Never leaks.

Ya, they are not easy to find.

The best ones I have ever used are called “blender bottles”.

You can find them in wild oats, whole foods, etc. I’m sure you can also buy them online as well. Damn near unleakable lid, also a cool little ball you can throw in if you need to break up the protien. Not that you would need that with Biotest stuff :slight_smile:

Monopoly

[quote]Thad wrote:

The best shaker ever! Never leaks.[/quote]

DAMN! They’re sold out of the pink ones.

My local GNC has blender bottles. They really are the best that I’ve found.

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
DAMN! They’re sold out of the pink ones.[/quote]

They have it in “mini” size, which is 20 oz, the same as the standard, crappy shaker you already have. Difference is, the Shaker Bottle is wider.

[quote]Thad wrote:

Dang I want one, guessing there not available in the UK, at the moment I am just using a Nalgene can’t go wrong…

ShadOW

[quote]lothos wrote:
Why has protein shaker bottle design continued to get worse ? It used to be that things got better but man, not in this area. I have an old Prolab shaker bottle I got years ago at the Arnold. It was the dome but the lid was snap on and NOT screw on with a very fine grate that really mixes well. It has never leaked in over 5 years of use.

Then everyone started going with screw on lids with the rubber gaskets but they eventually all start leaking and even one that is usually reliable will leak if not screwed on exactly right.

Hey at least they kept the fine grate to bust stuff up. Now the only shakers I can find anywhere are screw on with a wagon wheel spoke design to serve as the mixer (which leaves awful clumps) and a “pressure release” thing on the back thats sole purpose is to pop open and leak.

Why in the name of god can’t someone make a shaker bottle that won’t leak ? And why does the design just keep getting worse ?[/quote]

I have de-evolved to just a bottle

The shaker bottles have always ended up eventually leaking on me, and I hate that more than a few clumps. That is why many people, me included, have just gone to using a Naglene bottle. You can store it and shake the crap out of it and it will just not leak. It is less reactive than most plastics and is tasteless. It is nearly indestructible.

Is it high tech or does it taste as smooth as my home blender? No. It is a little clumpy, but never a leaky mess. The shaker bottles were never as smooth as my home blender either.

[quote]Thad wrote:

I have 6 of these…they don’t leak…they are the best I have found …

i use mason jars. they’re tough, they don’t leak, and they clean up really nice. and if you shake the b-jeezus out of it there are no clumps. it helps if you shake it before adding water.

Aren’t mason jars a bit fragile? or do they have plastic ones?

[quote]icecold wrote:

I have de-evolved to just a bottle

The shaker bottles have always ended up eventually leaking on me, and I hate that more than a few clumps. That is why many people, me included, have just gone to using a Naglene bottle. You can store it and shake the crap out of it and it will just not leak. It is less reactive than most plastics and is tasteless. It is nearly indestructible.

Is it high tech or does it taste as smooth as my home blender? No. It is a little clumpy, but never a leaky mess. The shaker bottles were never as smooth as my home blender either. [/quote]

Seriously, Nalgene is the best. You can shake the hell out of it, drop it, throw it, and it won’t leak. I bet if you hit the lid with rock it wouldn’t bust. The bottle itself is probably weaker than the lid + seal.

Only two problems:

1. Don’t put boiling water in it. (possible endocrine disruptors, such as phytoestrogens; see: http://www.nalgenelabware.com/techdata/technical/phthalates.asp and Nalgene’s Wikipedia entry)
  2. The lid is barely too small to cleanly dump a whole scoop of protein into it.

Oh, and I guess if you take a fast swig you’ve got the potential of some spilling out on the sides of your mouth.

I usually keep used water bottles, dry them out overnight and use a funnel to fill them up with protein. That may take 15-20 seconds longer, but I don’t have to clean them, I just recycle. And no leaks yet to speak of.

I’ve tried all kinds, but the best one for me has always been the turbo shaker.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
I’ve tried all kinds, but the best one for me has always been the turbo shaker. [/quote]

hahahaha holy crap

[quote]A-Dizz wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:

hahahaha holy crap[/quote]

Don’t knock it until you try it! The lid fits tight, and it mixes my shakes quickly and easily. No stupid rubber gasket, no extra grater to clean and no mess when putting in liquid or protein powder since it has a wide opening (unlike Nalgene bottles).

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
A-Dizz wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:

hahahaha holy crap

Don’t knock it until you try it! The lid fits tight, and it mixes my shakes quickly and easily. No stupid rubber gasket, no extra grater to clean and no mess when putting in liquid or protein powder since it has a wide opening (unlike Nalgene bottles).
[/quote]

how much was it? I only use shaker bottles to bring with me to work nowadays anyway, for PWO and such I use the tried-and-true spoon and glass method.

The shakers I DO use though I got from wal-mart for like a buck fifty, and they work perfectly. Screw on lids with the little sip-flap on the top, they don’t even leak in my backpack when I ride my bike.

I use a 591 mL Gatorade bottle, and for a funnel i use an old plastic beer bottle shaped vinegar bottle that i chopped up. I shake it more than a crying baby, and i dont get (too many) clumps on a good day. Old fasioned? yeah.

Does it leak? no, and when i lose the stopper there are many juice bottle stoppers to fit it. Had the same bottle for months now, its all bent and warped from the dishwasher, but i dont wanna part with it.

The lack of a great shaker is a pet peeve of mine too. Here’s the best I’ve found.

http://www.maxperformance.com/search.php?mode=search

It has the mesh screen so you can use crushed ice, which I like. Round mouth to sip from which doesn’t get clogged with protein powder, unlike some. And at $3.99/bottle, you can order several and keep them on hand for when you inevitably lose one or it eventually starts leaking.

Though they’re pretty good at not leaking. I have one with the rubber gasket out of it and it’s not leaking yet either.