T Nation

DCubed's Training and Feeding Log

This is my first post on T-Nation, but I’ve been an avid reader for about 2 months now. Here’s a little background info…

I’m 18 years old and just getting into college. In high school I wrestled all four years, but before high school I was very fat and was not very motivated. After having some success in my sophomore year I became very dedicated to the sport, and was avidly lifted and ran.

I had made some recognizable weight and strength gains, but decided that if I wanted to be on varsity I had to go from 150 to 125, which I did. My senior year I stayed at a healthier weight, but after having an embarrassing season I slowly fell back to my old, bad habits.

Right now I’ve made the decision to lose my fat, even at the expense of some of my muscle that I’ve gained over the spring and summer of this year.

My Current stats:

Height: 5’6"
Weight: 154 (after a huge breakfast)
Arms (Flexed): 14"
Arms (Relaxed): 12.2"
Chest: 40 inches
Thighs: About 22.5"
Waist: 33"(at navel!)

Bench: 185x5
Squat (A2G): 255x6
Deadlift (Over under grip): 255x5

I’ve read some articles on those who’ve been fat versus those who are hardgainers, and have learned through trial and error that 15 minutes of pre-breakfast cardio will facilitate my fat loss.

I will keep my macro-nutrient proportions at 40/30/30 (Protein/Carbs/Fat), and will have 4-5 meals per day. My proteins will be EAS Vanilla protein powder, shrimp, walleye, original flavored beef jerky, tuna cans and packets.

I ground turkey, deli cut turkey meat, egg whites and egg beaters. Fat sources will be from fish, almonds, peanuts, pistachios, walnuts, flax seeds in my oatmeal and small amounts of olive oil. I will get my simple carbs from yogurt, bananas, and apples.

Complex carbs will come from couscous and rice (PWO), brown rice, oat bran, wheat bran, quick oats and vegetables (carrots, peas, asparagus, broccoli, spinach).

My current supps have been:

Multi-Vitamins
Amylose supplement
150 MG caffeine
Tribulus

But I’m going to change that to…

1. Multi-Vitamin (Will use until bottle is empty)
  2. Sci-fit Kreation (Kre-alkalyn and caffeine supp)
  3. Some type of fish oil supp

Lately my workouts have looked like this,

Sunday: Chest, serratus, jump rope
Monday: Deadlift and back
Tuesday: 15 minute HIIT session
Wednesday: Tris, bis, shoulder
Thursday: Quads (Squat variations), abs, forearms
Friday: Abs and A.M. Cardio
Saturday: rest

I’ve tried the meltdown workout before and I thought the idea was good, but after three weeks I didn’t feel any different. So I’m going to change my workout to this:

Workout 1: Military Presses superset clean and jerk, Dumbell Row super set Incline hybrid flys, Chin up superset bicep curl, Deadlifts superset forearm curls, *pullup superset v-ups

Workout 2: A2G squat superset one legged deadlift (Switch which leg goes first each workout), Lunge superset leg lifts, Skulls superset pullovers, *Dips superset twists

All of the workouts will be 3x8-10 plus 12-15 reps of the superset, except for the asterisked workouts which will be 3x10 plus 20-25 reps. My movements will be very slow with controlled eccentric contraction followed by explosive concentric contraction.

I will alternate between the two workouts every other day, and on the days between those workouts I will do 20-30 minute HIIT sessions.

If you have any suggestions or comments for me please leave them on my log; I am a strong believer in constructive criticism. I will post pictures every other Monday starting tomorrow morning, wish me luck.

Didn’t get a chance to take pictures or HIIT today, but I did do morning cardio for fifteen minutes. I’m still getting into the swing of having a set workout schedule, but I’ll eventually get into it. Here’s what I ate,

Meal 1: 1.5 tbs pb, banana, quaker oats weightloss oatmeal with additional oats and flax seed, some calorie counter milk and one scoop of whey

Snack: Handful of almonds

Meal 2: 1/5 pound ground turkey with one serving of barilla plus whole wheat angel hair pasta

Meal 3: 2/3 filet mignon with cucumber, 1/2 cup rice and veggies

Night snack: 2 boneless wings, celery and some blue cheese (after work at bw3’s)

Still need to do some work on executing my nutrition plan as well. I’ll post pics and my workout tomorrow.

I could only post two pics. Fuckin battery in my shitty camera ran out.

Alright here was my workout from two days ago, it was really hard to have only 30 second rests between each set and 1 minute between each exercise but I felt fine a half an hour later…

Military Press 3x95x8
S.S. Clean and Jerk 3x95x12
DB Row 3x50x8
S.S. Incline hybrid flys 3x30x15
Chin up 3x10
S.S. Hammer curls 1x30x6 each, 2x20x7 each
Deadlift 3x135x8,10,10
S.S. Forearm Curl 3x45x15
Pullup 3x10
S.S. Decline situp

Today I did…

I wanted to find my current max on bench, and after warming up, it was 185x4. Disappointing.

Full squat 135x8, 185x9, 2x225x 10
I tried super setting the one legged deads but I kept tipping over, I think I might do squat jumps instead.

Bulgarian squat: 3x115x5 each
S.S. knee ups 3x15 ( I couldn’t go over to the other rack where I could lift my feet cause someone was using them)

Skulls 65x10,10,8
s.s. breathing pullover: 3x35x15

Dips 3x10
s.s. twists 3x20,25,25

And today I ate…

1. 1 filet mignon (Get them for free. Booyah), 1 serving barilla plus angel hair, 12 almonds, 1 tbs nat pb, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup light yogurt

2. 1/2 cup roast clean dried chicken boob, 1/4 cup grilled tofu, handful of peanuts, 3 cups salad mix

3. 1.5 cup skim, 1 scoop whey

4. 2 cups skim, 3 cups whey, 9 almonds, some carrots

5. 1 cup cottage cheese, some almonds

No pics yet; I still have to get those batteries. This morning I had a ton of shit, but I think the rest of the day I balanced it out. I feel like I’ve been doing a good job sticking to my supps, I have 2 tabs of the creation on HIIT days and 4 on training days. I have the same amount of fish oil (1.2 grams) every day and 1 tab of MV.

9:00-9:45 Meal One:
One cup egg beaters, two slices fat free cheese, handful of nuts, kashi bar, 3/4 cup blueberries.

12:00 Snack: some celery, 1/5 cup blue cheese

HIIT at 1

1:30 Meal Two: 2 cups skim, 3/4 can pumpkin, two scoops whey

5:00 Meal 3: 1/5 cup grilled Tofu, 1/2 chicken breast, peanut sauce and 1/2 serving barilla plus

I’m going to have some pistachios around 9

Well I just went fucking crazy. Had around 2000 cals worth of junk at 11 o clock at night. I don’t want to get into detail but, it involved brownies and reeses whipps…

I don’t know if I’m feeling this workout I made. If I’m still feeling weird sore tomorrow I might try something else. I was looking and Gironda workouts and they seem like they might be right up my alley.

Today was a nice rest day; my pre-breakfast cardio and HIIT went well. My lift yesterday went well, although I didn’t take the time to right down the weight I used because there were nothing to write with at my gym!

Whatever, I’ll just bring my own from now on. Either way it wouldn’t matter, I used the same weight I did last time, BUT, I didn’t do deadlifts. I’m definitely going to change my program to a spin off of a Gironda program using compound sets. I think my splits will be…

Mon: Hams, Back
Tues: Arms, Shoulders
Wed: Longer HIIT
Thurs: Chest, Back
Fri: Quads, Abs
Sat: Shorter HIIT
Sun: Run (1-3 miles)

Today I ate pretty well, except all I had for breakfast was 3 kashi bars, but that’s not so bad. Dinner consisted 1/2 pound pork tenderloin with broccoli. Very good.

Today I ate…

M1. Cup oats w. 1 cup skim and some raisins

M2. Postworkout: 1 cup skim with 1 scoop whey

M3. 1 cup rice with 2 strips of unagi

M4. 1 flank of fish, cup broccoli, 1/2 cup rice and 1/3 cup of beef

I had a good workout today, I felt pretty fresh. I did thirty second rests between each letter until all of my sets were finished at which point I would rest for ninety seconds. All of the sets were 4x8 and had a 3021 tempo.

A1 Military Press 4x8 95
A2 Hang Clean 4x8 95

B1. Skullcrushers 4x8x65
B2. Close handed pushup 4x8

C1. Barbell Curl 4x8x55
C2. Hammer Curl 4x8x20

D1. Arnold Press 4x8x30
D2. BTH Dumbell Tricep extension 4x8x60

My leg day was pretty rough today; it’s the closest I’ve been to puking solely from lifting.

Front squat 8x8x135

Squat 1x8x185, 7x8x155 ( I felt so weak )

Preacher Crunches 1x8x130 7x8x150

V-up workout: No rest 10 v-ups, 9 crunches, 8 v-ups etc.

I shouldn’t of biked on my first Gironda style leg day. I should’ve waited until tomorrow. Whatever, I might as well get used to biking all the time now instead of later during college. It was a good way to cool down on the way back, so I guess it has it’s benefits.

Alright, so I weighed 156 this morning. Not exactly what I call progress. Well, more room for improvement now that I haven’t really followed a solid diet. I’m definitely crack down on what I’m eating.

Today went like this…

8 AM: 300 jump rope reps

M1) 2 packets of weight watcher oatmeal with 1 cup of peanuts

9-12: Took a nap because I had 6 hours of sleep after walking around at work for 9 hours.

1230-145: Train

Deadlift 4x8x185
s.s. Barbell Row 4x8x95

Ham Curl 4x8x100
s.s. Back Extension 4x8

Pullups 4x8
s.s. Barbell Raise 4x8x75(Not quite sure if its called that)

Shrugs 4x8x70
s.s. BB Forearm Curl 4x12x40

2 PM: 14 Large Shrimp w/ Cocktail sauce, 1 glass of skim milk

6 PM: 2 Large turkey meatballs

At 10 I’m going to have 2 scoops of whey with water.

I’m going to have to make multiple posts for my pictures because I don’t know how to put more than one in one post. I have some pictures of my side and legs, as well as a picture from the end of wrestling 2 years ago.

Legs

Now here’s a side picture of when I weighed 124 pounds.

8/19

9 AM Pre-breakfast Cardio (8 Min slow)

Breakfast: servings multigrain cheerios and 1 yogurt

11:30-12:30 Arms

Military 1x8x95, 3x8x105
s.s. Front raise 4x20(DB)x8 each

Skulls 4x8x75
s.s. Close hand pushups 4x8

BB Curl 4x8x65 (Failed @ 8 on the last 2)
s.s. DB Hammer curls 4x8x25

Arnold press 4x8x35
s.s. DB Tri ext. 4x8x55

I felt really good during this workout, the weights felt lighter than usual.

1 PM Lunch: 18 Jumbo steamed shrimp 1 cup grapes

4 PM 1 scoop whey with water

7 pm 1 slice pizza (I was really mad about eating pizza but it was only one small slice I guess. This was all my friend had at her house, but I’m bringing my own food from now on.)

Check out the breakfast: 7 oz. Tuna, 2 tbs fat free mayo, 1 tsp.

Yesterday was alright, I did two fifteen minute sessions of HIIT. The first one having 30 second rest and 30 second intense intervals. The second one was 1 minute rest with 30 second intense intervals, and both were my HIIT on an elliptical machine.

I use my elliptical machine on Wednesdays as to not be as sore the next day as I would’ve been if I had done something like hills.

Today I jumped rope for five minutes before I ate breakfast… That’s what I do when I feel lazy I guess. My workout went pretty well, I upped my weight from my last chest/back workout.

DB Bench 4x8x65 (Failed at 5 on the last set)
s.s. DB Flys 4x8x35

Decline BB Bench 4x8x135 (I feel weak in the chest at this point, I might want to switch up my exercise order so my chest gets some rest to finish this one)

s.s. BW dips 4x8x8 (I’m going to start adding weight, for some reason I don’t feel weak on the dip after 30 seconds of rest)

Wide grip pulldown 4x8x130 (I’m going to up the weight next time)
s.s. Bent lateral raise 4x8x20

Supinated pulldown 4x8x130
s.s. DB Row 4x8x45

Below’s a picture of the shake(s) I had PWO.

I looked at some recipes on some sites, and I’m not sure if it’s from T-Nation or not. It has 1/2 packet sugar free pistachio pudding, 3 scoops whey and 3 cups calorie countdown milk.

P.S. Bought some Chuck Taylors today for only 36 bucks.

8/22

I decided to take the front squat off of my leg workout, it really didn’t help me at all. So instead of front squats I went to the leg press and put my feet closer together and more towards the bottom of the foot placement area to work my quads more. Here’s the workout:

Leg Press 8x8x270

Squat 8x8x185(+30 from last week since I didn’t do front squats)

Standing Preacher crunches 8x8x70 pounds on pulldown machine

V-up workout starting from 12 this time.

My quads were slightly sore afterwards but it wasn’t to harsh. Later that day a friend asked me if I wanted to rock climb and I was definitely down for that, so from 7:30 to 10 we rock climbed. When I got home at 11:30 I got a text from my friend who is training for an ultramarathon asking if I’d be interested in joining him for a 20 mile run. I told him about my workout and he said, “You can use my (Really nice and expensive) bike. Don’t be a pussy man.” So I had to.

Yesterday I biked with him for 3 1/2 hours, then he wanted to do a hill workout. I dropped off his bike and went to some forest by his house with a trail. This was the longest, steepest fucking hill I’ve ever ran in my life. It must have been at least a third of a mile long with a 55 degree incline. Either that or I was delusional from dehydration. All in all it was a fun experience, I ate a ton for the rest of the day. Today I’m going to run a light mile or so and play some frisbee with friends before heading off to college on Tuesday!

God I haven’t been on this in awhile, Welcome Week is not as fun as I’d hoped. Not getting a chance to workout because of how they schedule us, but we’ve been walking close to 5 miles a day in addition to all of the stair walking I’ve opted to do over elevator use. I’ll be back on track starting Monday when the rec center opens.

I’m pissed. I’m angry that I’ve gotten to the point where people don’t even think I look like I work out anymore.

Over the past month or so I’ve been eating like shit. Late night binges of candy and sweets all the time trying to stay up for studying, and when I’m done I feel like I need to treat myself to more. It’s pathetic,I’m a shadow of the person I used to be. But now I will turn it all around.

When I started this log, I’m not gonna lie, I half-assed it. I could’ve tried harder and asked for more advice and support, but I didn’t. I’ve set a goal for myself, and I expect myself to achieve it. Here they are:

1. Lose at least 20 pounds while maintaining most of my muscle by December 10th.

I will do this by:

A. Following the diet that I’ve constructed
B. Following the program that I’ve made around CT’s Destroying Fat article
C. Realizing that food is energy, and not something to reward yourself with.
D. Never rationalize or make excuses that will sabotage achieving my goals

TRAINING PROGRAM

Sunday: Heavy Chest/Back W.O. and Anaerobic session

Monday (Rest day): Pre-Breakfast Cardio (20-30 minutes), Stretch (10 minutes)

Tuesday: Pre-Breakfast Stretching, Lactate W.O.+20 minutes steady state cardio (1 hour after breakfast)

Wednesday (Rest): Same as Monday

Thursday: Heavy Legs W.O., no anaerobic session

Friday (Rest): Stretch throughout the day, no cardio

Saturday: Lactate Workout + 20 Minute steady state cardio

My workout will be identical to the one in the article, it gave some examples of what exercises to do and I adjusted it so that I can move from one exercise to another without waiting for the equipment. I will add more and more reps and sets to the lactate inducing workouts progressively throughout the course of this program, and will strive to keep my numbers on the heavy days the same. Here’s how it looks,

Heavy Chest/Back:

A1. DB incline bench 5x4-6
A2. DB flat flies 5x6-8

B1. Deadlift 5x4-6
B2. BB Row 5x6-8

Heavy Legs:

A1. Power Clean 5x4-6
A2. Front Squat 5x6-8

B1. Deadlift 5x4-6
B2. One-legged Barbell Deadlift 5x6-8

Lactate Inducing Workout:

A1. Floor DB Bench 3x12-15 (Again, Week one will be 3x12, and I will keep going up in reps until I get to 15. At which point I will go to 4x12 and continue to add reps)
A2. DB Lunge
A3. DB Row
A4. DB Deadlift
A5. Crunches

B1. BB Military Press 3x15-20 (Same progression as A’s)
B2. Squat* (Should I find a different lift?)
B3. Pullups *3x10-12
B4. Good Mornings
B5. V-ups

OPTIONAL CIRCUT (Same set/rep range as B’s)
C1. DB Curls
C2. Behind the head DB extensions
C3. Leaning lateral raises
C4. V-ups

My anaerobic workouts are going to be switched up between HIIT sessions on a bike or sprinting hills or just plain sprinting. I won’t go any longer than 15 minutes on the bike and will sprint no more than 400 meters total during the session.

DIET

Example of Day A (Mon. Wed. Fri.):

Meal 1: 2 fish oil caps, 5 Hardboiled egg whites w/ 1 yolk

Meal 2: 1 scoop protein in water or can of tuna, 3 fish oil caps

Meal 3: 5 slices of deli turkey meat with salad, red wine vinaigrette as dressing

Meal 4: 1/2 scoop protein in water or 2 slices of deli meat

Meal 5: 2 pieces of roasted carved meat served in dining hall, large portion of dark green veggies or salad

Meal 6: 1/2 scoop protein in water

Example of DAY B (Sun, Tues, Thurs):

Meal 1: 3/4 cup oats cooked w/ milk

Pre-WO: 1/2 scoop protein in water

Post-WO: 1 scoop protein in milk

Meal 3: 2 slices deli meat, 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, 2 fish oil caps

Meal 4: 2 slices deli meat, 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, 2 fish oil caps

Meal 5: 2 carves of roasted meat from dining hall, salad or dark green veggies

Meal 6: 1/2 scoop protein in water, 2 fish oil caps

Example of Day C (weekends, no breakfast in dining halls):

Pre-workout: 1 scoop protein w/oats and flax mixed w/ water

Post-Workout: 1 scoop protein in milk

Meal 3: 3 strips of bacon on salad

Meal 4: 3 fish oil caps, 2 slices deli meat, 1/4 cup sunflower seeds

Meal 5: 2 carves of roasted meat from dining hall, salad or dark green veggies

Meal 6: 3 fish oil caps, 2 slices of deli meat

SUMMARY

I will achieve my goal. It will definitely not be easy for me; my friends will question my motives, my family will be concerned, but I know that I have to make drastic changes to see drastic improvements in my body composition and my confidence. On October 22nd I will test my bodyfat at the rec center, and I will post my results that night. I am open to any advice. I envy anyone who read all of this.

Your new plan looks awesome.

Remember it is CONSISTENCY that makes fat loss happen. I used a very similar program to the one you are using to drop fat, and it worked wonders.

Train hard!

Thank you Flow, I will be consistent.

Day One:

Just found out yesterday that my rec center doesn’t open till 11 on Sundays, so I tweaked my diet for today a bit.

9:20 - One cup oats w/flax

10:50 - 1/4 scoop of protein powder and water

Training (11:05-11:30)

A1. Incline DB Bench �?? 5x6x60
A2. Flat bench flies �?? 5x8x30
B1. Behind the head pulldown �?? 3x6x140, 1x6x155, 1x6x145
B2. BB row �?? 5x8x95 (My bi�??s burned like fuck after each set. That�??s something I need to fix eventually.)

11:45 - 3 slices of deli meat turkey, 2 small pieces of bacon, 1/4 cup eggs, 1 tbs cheese, salad with black beans, 1 tbs sunflower seeds

2:30 - 2 slices of deli turkey, 2 small pieces of bacon

4:15 - small grilled hamburger patty, 1 tbs potato salad

4:45 - I did killers on a 80 meter long field. I divided the field into fourths and did a total of 400+ meters in 5 minutes. I was dying.

6:30: 2 cups of spinach, 3 pieces of celery, 1/2 chicken breast and a tbs tuna

Summary
Training went well, but it went by very fast. Felt like I could’ve done more weight on the incline presses, so I’ll do more next time. I think I ate a little to much during the middle of the day to compensate for my small breakfast. I think I’ll learn to spread my calories out more in time. Overall, good first day.

Day Two:

Rest day

7:15 �?? Pre-Breakfast Cardio: 20 minutes on elliptical, 124 bpm
8:20 �?? 4 egg whites, 1 yolk, 1 banana, ¼ cup yogurt, 2 slices of bacon
11:10 �?? 2 slices of turkey
1:00 �?? 1 scoop protein in water
5:15 �?? 1 small piece of beef brisket, 2 cups string beans, 1 salad, a cup of chili, 1 small piece fried(?) fish

Summary

I truly underestimated how hungry I would get between 1 and 5. After I ate dinner I feel really full and probably will randomly get hungry in the middle of the night. My schedule doesn’t permit any food preparation between 1 and 4, so I have to plan ahead from now on. Tomorrow is my first lactate inducing workout, and I’m excited to see how it will turn out.