T Nation

DC vs. Traditional Training

Hey guys for the past few months ive been doing DC style training im sure many are familiar with it. While i like this style of training and i feel ive gotten great results, Many of the guys im friends with at the gym swear by their traditional styles of training and just pick one or two bodyparts a day and blast them to shit.

My question is this, while i know i have gotten some good size on the DC routine, would i be better off with a traditional routine? Really blasting that bodypart once a week? MY DC routines focus around compound lifts and i feel that although i get stronger and increase in size, would i get better denser muscle and better results from a traditional routine ? Just wondering what peoples opinions on this are.

Dude, if DC is working then keep doing it.

Edit: /thread.

well were their results better than yours?

If it ain’t broke don’t try and fix it.

there is a DC thread and a ramping thread already.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Dude, if DC is working then keep doing it.[/quote]

I agree. If you’ve found a formula that works for you and truly have the results to back it up, why change?

[quote]Tshep26 wrote:
Hey guys for the past few months ive been doing DC style training im sure many are familiar with it. While i like this style of training and i feel ive gotten great results, Many of the guys im friends with at the gym swear by their traditional styles of training and just pick one or two bodyparts a day and blast them to shit.

My question is this, while i know i have gotten some good size on the DC routine, would i be better off with a traditional routine? Really blasting that bodypart once a week? MY DC routines focus around compound lifts and i feel that although i get stronger and increase in size, would i get better denser muscle and better results from a traditional routine ? Just wondering what peoples opinions on this are.[/quote]

Why not do both? I mean it’s not going to hurt you to do dc blasting and cruising for 3-6 months and then traditional for 3-6 months. If anything you’ll find what works better for you. I mean I see it this way. Everything works, but not forever.

Also if you’re still getting results. Keep hitting that slag iron until you don’t. Then switch it up. Then come back to dc later. All I know is most serious training dc guys are some thick built mofos.

I suggest switching to full body training 3x/week IMMEDIATELY for optimum results.

Dump the DC. It stands for Doggcrapp.

Dude, my personal opinion is that either you’re making noticeable progress, or you aren’t!

If you are, then leave it as is because it’s as good as it gets! The worse thing you can do is revamp your entire routine to chase “even better results”. More likely you won’t get them and even worse you’ll lose time you could have put towards the routine that was working for you.

Of course if you aren’t making noticeable progress you can always give it a shot. But even then I would recommend making adjustments over a period of time rather than changing everything at once. Why? Because adjustments will eventually leave to you finding your “sweet spot”. Total overhauls don’t give you that perspective.

Oh, yeah, and by noticeable progress I mean OTHER people notice. Not you “kinda noticed in certain mirrors under the right lighting” that the routine was working for you.

The question you pose is one that you should have already answered for yourself before you contemplated starting DC. Dante Trudel has written several times that DC training is for those with several years of training experience who have already figured out what does and does not work for them. You should already know if hitting a bodypart once per week with a lot of volume works well for you.

Sorry if I seem elitist. I just don’t think you should be doing DC if its not the best thing for you.

To me, DC training is not an inevitable step in everyone’s path to bigger muscles. If you’ve got the genetics of a Paul Dillett or a Ronnie Coleman or a Victor Richards, then there’s no reason to limit yourself to the parameters of DC training.

But, as I already posted, this is something you should have figured out by now.

[quote]downintucson wrote:
The question you pose is one that you should have already answered for yourself before you contemplated starting DC. Dante Trudel has written several times that DC training is for those with several years of training experience who have already figured out what does and does not work for them. You should already know if hitting a bodypart once per week with a lot of volume works well for you.

Sorry if I seem elitist. I just don’t think you should be doing DC if its not the best thing for you.

To me, DC training is not an inevitable step in everyone’s path to bigger muscles. If you’ve got the genetics of a Paul Dillett or a Ronnie Coleman or a Victor Richards, then there’s no reason to limit yourself to the parameters of DC training.

But, as I already posted, this is something you should have figured out by now.[/quote]

There is no reason to limit yourself to the parameters of DC training period, other than the fact that you the individual believes in the system and it fits your “style” of training.

If you either don’t believe in the system, or it’s not how you like training (balls to the wall intensity every single workout, relatively low volume, extreme stretches, etc…), then do something else. No one is holding a gun to your head and saying you must do this system.

If you’re looking for testimonials check out the “Trying DoggCrapp Training” thread here in the BB’ing forum, or the “Discussing DoggCrapp” thread in the T-Cell, you’ll see that the people who decide to do this system get results from it and enjoy doing it (well, everyone except “300” and that’s probably because all that sissy tea they drink over in Britain makes them “soft” :stuck_out_tongue: ).

If you decide to stick with the program, you can post your workouts/rotations/questions in the “Trying DoggCrapp Training” thread. If you decide to go to a more traditional body part split routine, it isn’t going to hurt any of our feelings.

In the end it’s your time and you should try to use it the way that you think will produce the best results. But only you can make that decision.

i agree, if its working for you, keep doing it until it stops working

If what you are doing is working, the STOP IMMEDIATELY.

There has to be something that works EVEN BETTER.

STOP DOING DC!

So I’m unable to post for a few days and the forum goes to shit… Man… :wink:

[quote]Carlitosway wrote:
Why not do both? I mean it’s not going to hurt you to do dc blasting and cruising for 3-6 months and then traditional for 3-6 months. If anything you’ll find what works better for you. I mean I see it this way. Everything works, but not forever.

Also if you’re still getting results. Keep hitting that slag iron until you don’t. Then switch it up. Then come back to dc later. All I know is most serious training dc guys are some thick built mofos.
[/quote]

I don’t want this to sound like I’m disagreeing or anything, because I actually share your sentiment, but the “Everything works, but not forever,” is a wee-bit misleading. I know Dante frequently asks for two years of your time when DC’ing before making a judgement call. Granted, one should be able to determine WAY BEFORE THEN if it’s working well for them or not, but I don’t see any reason (when DC’ing) to switch it up on a periodic basis like you mentioned.