T Nation

DC: Superman Renounces Citizenship

[quote]Nards wrote:
mine![/quote]

He would renounce you faster than you can sing the Star Spangled Banner.

HE’S NOT REAL

HE’S REAL TO ME!

[quote]byukid wrote:
HE’S NOT REAL[/quote]

just like jesus

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[quote]byukid wrote:
HE’S NOT REAL[/quote]

just like jesus[/quote]

And he was sent here from above by is father to help us all.

In one way this may be very much in line with DC’s long-standing apparent wish to discard Clark Kent.

Basically, it seems to me they’ve long found Clark Kent boring, and instead want the costume and the superhero-situation on every page of the comic.

So “What would Clark Kent do?” may simply not be an issue for the DC writers.

Their Superman has no friends (other than other superheroes), family, or job.

I don’t know – did DC have a previous issue where they actually got rid of Clark Kent completely and permanently?

[quote]Christine wrote:

The question is the same though. Is he really a U.S. citizen?[/quote]

Christine beat me to it.
I was wondering if the timing has anything to do with current political events.

I just finished this excellent novel a few minutes ago.

It’s about Superman growing up and moving to New York (it seems to follow the old version of Superman where it was said he operated in New York…I guess Metropolis came later) and he’s not as powerful as he is later. he’s the leaping tall buildings in a single bound kind of guy, not the kind of Superman that can fly into space.
It’s done as a period piece, with him landing in 1907 and going to NY in 1938 or so.

[quote]Christine wrote:
I don’t know the comic very well, but how did Superman get his citizenship anyway? Didn’t he just fall from the sky and some nice family took him in? Wouldn’t they have had to had forged papers to make him legal?

Was he ever granted citizenship legally?[/quote]
He was sent from Krypton in a “birthing matrix” he was just cells of Jor-El and Lara, they never did the deed as Krypton is very cold and scientific. Kal-El was literally born when he landed in Smallville making him an anchor baby as well as a US citizen

I think DC is just trying to fuck Superman up as much as possible so if they lose the rights(the families of Seigal and Shuster are suing). They already lost Superboy for a time, they had to “kill” off Kon-El, and Superboy Prime had to be renamed Superman Prime for a time.

When I refer to “Superman” I mostly view it as Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster’s creation, as modified with time in the earlier comics and to some extent the first television show.

The Smallville “Superman” is a somewhat different character, and the DC “Superman” has long been quite a different character still.

If anything the Smallville character seems more true to the original than does what DC has been doing for years. Just as personal opinion.

The relevance of that being: In the original version and for decades after, Kal-El landed in Kansas as a baby, rather than as cells.

In that regard, Smallville is being quite different.

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[quote]byukid wrote:
HE’S NOT REAL[/quote]

just like jesus[/quote]

And he was sent here from above by is father to help us all.[/quote]

And he died for us, and rose again in accordance to the prophecies.

My $.02- This pisses me off. The Man of Steel is supposed to be all about Truth, Justice, and the American Way. I always imagined that to be the more innocent American way of the time he was created, but that doesn’t matter. It’s still the principle of the thing.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
The relevance of that being: In the original version and for decades after, Kal-El landed in Kansas as a baby, rather than as cells.

In that regard, Smallville is being quite different.[/quote]
Kal-L, the golden age Superman is dead, died during Infinate Crisis, he has not been seen since Crisis on Infinate Earths the current Superman’s origin was created by John Byrne just after the first Crisis. DC turning 50 had a hell of a lot of baggage so the higher ups felt they needed to trim the fat. They decided to create one universe in which everything happened from the formation of the Justice Society on forward, this new Earth would only have one Superman, one Batman, and Wonder Woman would just recently arrived on man’s world. All the stuff from the 30’s to the 80’s that involved any of the big three got tossed never happened so in fact Supeman was born in Kansas when his birthing matrix landed on Earth. I am a huge DC fan Crisis upset me when it happened as some of my favorite stories ceased to be.

I did read the Crisis on Infinite Earths back in the day, but with regard to Superman, I remembered only the positives on his power being trimmed back (all too temporarily) to having some slight touch of physical consequences and limitations being involved.

As opposed to the preceding situation where mysteries were typically solved by superhearing picking up a conversation halfway around the planet or by revelation of yet another heretofore-unknown-but-convenient superpower, or for example a speeding train might be stopped 70-to-zero-in-3-feet-flat without damaging the train or passengers in the slightest.

I hadn’t remembered that the Clark Kent part of his ongoing life was eliminated or that he hadn’t arrived as a baby.

That was a long while back to be sure.

[quote]Nards wrote:
HE’S REAL TO ME![/quote]

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
I did read the Crisis on Infinite Earths back in the day, but with regard to Superman, I remembered only the positives on his power being trimmed back (all too temporarily) to having some slight touch of physical consequences and limitations being involved.

As opposed to the preceding situation where mysteries were typically solved by superhearing picking up a conversation halfway around the planet or by revelation of yet another heretofore-unknown-but-convenient superpower, or for example a speeding train might be stopped 70-to-zero-in-3-feet-flat without damaging the train or passengers in the slightest.

I hadn’t remembered that the Clark Kent part of his ongoing life was eliminated or that he hadn’t arrived as a baby.

That was a long while back to be sure.

[/quote]
Yeah Byrne basically rewrote the origin enough that instead of being a baby shot out of a rocket he was actually “born” when he landed. Crisis made it so he was truly the last survivor of Krypton, and they’ve changed that as well. Interesting note, the Kal-El was supposed to have died and Kal-L the golden age superman was supposed to take over being Superman(you learn he had stopped aging and had died his hair), the editors scrapped that idea so that everyone had a reboot so to speak.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Sector2814/news/?a=36369 Kind of funny this just happened

I’ll weigh in on this.

Superman was created in 1933 by a pair of Canadians. Their original catch phrase was “Truth and Justice.” It wasn’t until 1942 that it was changed to “Truth, Justice, and the American Way.” The latter was dropped post-WWII and then later re-added when the t.v. series started. It’s a bit like adding “…under God,” to the Pledge of Allegiance and “In God we Trust” to our currency in the 1950’s. It seems that the majority of Americans just automatically assume that it’s always been like this.

The problem I see with Superman renouncing citizenship is that Superman is an entity that the world recognizes as an alien whose only known residence is “somewhere in the Arctic Circle.” Because of that, any citizenship he would have would be purely honorary. In actuality, it’s his secret identity, Clark Kent, that is a citizen of the U.S.

Personally, I prefer him to drop that “American Way” b.s. and be entirely global anyway.

[quote]B to the rian wrote:
I’ll weigh in on this.

Superman was created in 1933 by a pair of Canadians. Their original catch phrase was “Truth and Justice.” It wasn’t until 1942 that it was changed to “Truth, Justice, and the American Way.” The latter was dropped post-WWII and then later re-added when the t.v. series started. It’s a bit like adding “…under God,” to the Pledge of Allegiance and “In God we Trust” to our currency in the 1950’s. It seems that the majority of Americans just automatically assume that it’s always been like this.

The problem I see with Superman renouncing citizenship is that Superman is an entity that the world recognizes as an alien whose only known residence is “somewhere in the Arctic Circle.” Because of that, any citizenship he would have would be purely honorary. In actuality, it’s his secret identity, Clark Kent, that is a citizen of the U.S.

Personally, I prefer him to drop that “American Way” b.s. and be entirely global anyway.[/quote]
One Canadian Seigel was born in Ohio