T Nation

DC Questions

I’ve been a follower of Jim Wendler’s 5 3 1 for awhile but just recently started trying doggcrapp.I love the intensity from it but after being a “disciple” of Jim’s training for so long it’s hard to wrap my head around what I need to do for increasing weight or what people are considering beating the log book as.

I got into the DC because Jim talked about it in his book and had some sample templates with his 531 incorporated into it. What are peoples opinion on sticking with my known weights in the 531 style instead of rotating out three different exercises?

[quote]ClintFriend wrote:
… after being a “disciple” of Jim’s training for so long it’s hard to wrap my head around what I need to do for increasing weight or what people are considering beating the log book as. [/quote]

Huh?

[quote]

I got into the DC because Jim talked about it in his book and had some sample templates with his 531 incorporated into it. What are peoples opinion on sticking with my known weights in the 531 style instead of rotating out three different exercises? [/quote]

I’m also not sure what you’re asking here either. 5/3/1 set and rep scheme is to be used for four lifts, as you know and are doing. Assistance work can be done with the “DC style” which is either one set to failure or one rest pause set as per Dante’s prescription. It’s as simple as that. If you don’t want to rotate the assistance exercises, as opposed to rotating three exercises, you’ll be alright for some time; many people make gains on a single exercise for a LONG time (but some tend to rotate exercises because of possible overuse symptoms or injury).

Okay, so for example lets do this:

Workout 1
Chest
Bench press: 5x65%,5x75%,5x85%+rest pause.

Shoulder press :5x65%,5x75%,5x85%+rest pause.

Triceps exercise

Back width

Back thickness
Deadlift:5x65%,5x75%,5x85% straight set, then heavier straight set

Just an example. Then when you get to the 5, 3, 1 week you do an all out straight set for the 95% set then do a rest pause at 75%. Then increase the weights accordingly for the next cycle. . 5lbs upper and 10 lower

I guess I’m just asking if anyone sees a problem with doing these same exercises instead of rotating them out.

What are peoples opinion on sticking with my known weights in the 531 style instead of rotating out three different exercises? [/quote]

That its very dumb

Okay, so enlighten me then. What makes it dumb?

I’m confused about what you’re confused about.

5/3/1 has all of your basic percentages laid out, you do it, rinse and repeat.

DC, you find your working weight for a given set range (the exercises as well as rep ranges chosen for you are INDIVIDUALIZED since everyone’s muscles grow with different angles, rep schemes, et al.) You may need a few “feeler” sessions when you first start DC and your first blast may not blow everything out of the water if you’re not sure of your rep ranges. Then, you shit or get off the pot. You just either do more reps on the next workout, or more weight. No more complicated than that. If you don’t hit your goal, then you swap out the exercises for something you enjoy less because you weren’t deserving enough to retain that exercise.

And that’s about it.

there’s a 5/3/1 + DC assistance template in the book. I’ll try it out sometime.

I think if you want to do DC, just do DC as they lay it out. It seems focused on strength gains anyways, so I don’t see why it needs to be changed.

Okay, so enlighten me then. What makes it dumb? [/quote]

DC is a bodybuilding program. And one that creates enough imbalances as it is on the 2way split

This is gonna be an even greater problem if you only use one exercise

If you just wanna be big but dont mind looking weird then go ahead

[quote]SSC wrote:

DC, you find your working weight for a given set range (the exercises as well as rep ranges chosen for you are INDIVIDUALIZED since everyone’s muscles grow with different angles, rep schemes, et al.) You may need a few “feeler” sessions when you first start DC and your first blast may not blow everything out of the water if you’re not sure of your rep ranges. Then, you shit or get off the pot. You just either do more reps on the next workout, or more weight. No more complicated than that. If you don’t hit your goal, then you swap out the exercises for something you enjoy less because you weren’t deserving enough to retain that exercise.

And that’s about it.[/quote]

So, all I need to do is just either beat the reps with the same weight, or increase weight at same reps? Simple.

[quote]SSC wrote:

And that’s about it.[/quote]

So, all I need to do is just either beat the reps with the same weight, or increase weight at same reps? Simple.

[/quote]

That’s it! It really is simple. Now if only doing it were that easy. :confused:

So I actually changed up my exercises today instead of regular powerlifting movements. And let me tell you, I got my ass handed to me. I loved it. And then I still managed to set a pr on my Deadlift. (well I guess did Deadlift for back thickness)