DC/NOVA T-Cell?

[quote]carter12 wrote:
I just moved to Alexandria. I don’t know hardly anyone around here (which is why I’m typing this on a fuckin friday night) so meeting some of you would be great. [/quote]

LOL. no one around here you want to know. LOL

Hey I am actually packing and such now for a short trip but I think we may actually try and get together and do something. At the very least I will join Cezar inn some Keg throws. He’s sghacked at the base about three blocks from me.

I’ll be back by next weekend just chime in here PM or what not and we can figure soemthing out. Also you may want to search and there is a larger thread in this DC/Metro T cell somewhere I started last month.

Ltr and welcome to Hell. LOL

Phill

I’d be up for some strongman workouts on the Mall. I could bring down some db’s and some cones for the farmers walk.

I also run a conditioning class at Meridian Hill park (between 16th and 15th two blocks north of U St.) from 7-8am on Tuesday and Thursday mornings if anybody is interested. Generally what I do is take the class through a dynamic warm-up which includes some light plyometrics and dynamic stretching, followed by some static stretching. Then the bulk of the class involves interval training drills that are similar to what I used when I was a strength coach at Maryland.

Keep in mind that it’s not a boot camp type of class because we don’t do any upper body work. The reason is that the people in the class alreasy train with weights and they’re either there to improve their body composition and/or improve their sports performance.

Anyway, if anybody is interested let me know and hopefully we can get some strong man stuff going on the Mall.

How’s it going nephorm, I was at that dinner in Tyson’s. Something happened to my screename when this site went through some changes so it’s no longer Energy.

The only person from that dinner that I’ve seen post anything recently was BodyIQ.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
hankr wrote:
Maybe I am remembering this wrong, but I thought there was a successful nova Tcell get together a few years ago. Weren’t there pictures up and all?

There were pics posted in the reader mail section. I think I’m the only one in the group that still posts here, anymore.[/quote]

[quote]CEZAR wrote:
BTW, I’ve been doing some stuff on my own in a park in Arlington off of columbia pike, I think it’s called Tower’s park at the end of scott st. I was tossing a keg yesturday and got some strares from people walking their dogs. If anyone what’s to join me just PM me and we can set something up. [/quote]

I’m in North Arlington. I’d definitely be up for some weekend keg tossing. PM me or post it up here.

I’m out in Burke. I’ve never done strong man workouts before, but it sounds like a lot of fun. PM me if you guys are going to follow through with this.

nice! I was gone for a few days in OBX visiting an old military school buddy…looks like we have interest so hopefully some of us can start hooking up…this week Im pretty jammed, working 6 our of 7 days, and not sure if the terrorist alert stuff will have me working even more than that…but next week Im off mon/tues/fri/sat/sun

Yup just throw out some ideas if you have any all. I have free time the week following this one as well.

I’m thinking getting together next weekend (16/17) would probably be easiest for everyone. Also I’ll be doing some light GPP stuff, about 20-30 mins of keg throws, sled pulls and whatever else I think of on Tues and Thursaday if anyone wants to join me, I’m not sure of the time but I can be flexable if someone wants to come along. I’m still looking for a tire, harder then you’d think. But I have scouted a spot we could stash it in the park, with a little camo netting no one will ever see it.

Phill,
Geez, everybody I talk to says they hate it here. My only problem so far is the lack of people who speak english. But, I’m just an ol’ country boy so at least now I don’t have to drive 40 minutes to see a movie. LOL.

I recently switched from westside training to bodybuilding (poliquin’s advanced gvt)to put on some mass, but I’d still definitely be interested in some strongman type stuff. I’m sure I could learn a lot from yall in other areas too.

I’ll check this thread and the other one out as often as possible. Thanks.

Carter

Cezar, depending on when you do the GPP this thursday I might be able to make it…the 16th I could also make if it was a morning session…

I have a med ball and an Xvest we could use for some fun as well.

I hate cardio guys, but one thing the athletes at G’town gotta do the Exorcist stairs for punishment ha…I bet that would be killer for a morning or afternoon gut check session as well. We could run there from my place, Im right off Rt 29 about a mile from Key Bridge, and less than a mile from Courthouse Metro.

When I was a coach at Yale we got tons of tires from industrial truck shops…they gotta pay big bucks to dispose of them…I did do some net searches a while ago for tire places in the DC area to try to score some various tires for G’town football, but it was a pain sorting out the details on the search pages. If anyone knows a construction company or trucking company, giving them a call to see what they do with old or bad tires wouldnt hurt. Like I said we got like 12 for free of all kinds of sizes.

[quote]bluecollarjock wrote:
Cezar, depending on when you do the GPP this thursday I might be able to make it…the 16th I could also make if it was a morning session…

I have a med ball and an Xvest we could use for some fun as well.

I hate cardio guys, but one thing the athletes at G’town gotta do the Exorcist stairs for punishment ha…I bet that would be killer for a morning or afternoon gut check session as well. We could run there from my place, Im right off Rt 29 about a mile from Key Bridge, and less than a mile from Courthouse Metro.

When I was a coach at Yale we got tons of tires from industrial truck shops…they gotta pay big bucks to dispose of them…I did do some net searches a while ago for tire places in the DC area to try to score some various tires for G’town football, but it was a pain sorting out the details on the search pages. If anyone knows a construction company or trucking company, giving them a call to see what they do with old or bad tires wouldnt hurt. Like I said we got like 12 for free of all kinds of sizes.[/quote]

I can bring a couple KB’s to toss around. I’ll see what I can do about the tires this week and email you.

I’ve never done strong man training before, so if you’ve got any advice for how to prepare or what else to bring, I’m all ears.

does anyone have a big back yard? one of my favorite days this past year was when some of the graduating football players wanted to have a BBQ…I brought over tons of deer meat, and we also cooked burgers and steaks…we set up a platform with some bumper plates, grilled red meat all day, and lifted in between, and also had a few refreshments along the way :slight_smile: Id say a good Testosterone day!

Another favorite Testosterone day I used to have with my old coaching boss…we would lift…then get a large coffee drive to the range, cap off some rounds, smoke big cigars, and then go get some red meat…ahh the good ol days…

[quote]bluecollarjock wrote:
does anyone have a big back yard? one of my favorite days this past year was when some of the graduating football players wanted to have a BBQ…I brought over tons of deer meat, and we also cooked burgers and steaks…we set up a platform with some bumper plates, grilled red meat all day, and lifted in between, and also had a few refreshments along the way :slight_smile: Id say a good Testosterone day!

Another favorite Testosterone day I used to have with my old coaching boss…we would lift…then get a large coffee drive to the range, cap off some rounds, smoke big cigars, and then go get some red meat…ahh the good ol days…[/quote]

Ah the good ole days sound very familiar. Even better for me here as I sit back in Kansas for a week is those days of lift, go shoot your meat, cook, and enjoy a cigar and beverage. Now thats good times. Gonna have to knock the dust off the guns and go do some practice while Im here I think, thanks for the reminder. Watch out Mr. Turkey. LOL

WHOA!!! No big fan of cardio here either. Not to mention a little hampered from doing long distance stuff from a crushed pelvic bone and f’d leg. That and it just bores the hell out of me. I perfer to get my cardio doing something. Get a football game going or the like. Dragging, lifting and throwing stuff. The occasional bike ride, canoe trip, hike.

Thats another option is they rent canoes at Fletchers boat house. We could pair up in those suckers and go at it. I have also been thinking about trying out those damn kyacks there is a rental shop just a couple blocks from me on Columbia Pike. That or hang gliding or Skydiving.

Carter, yea fun town to visit not the best to stay for long periods IMO. There are other Metro areas I like better. Arlington isnt bad though.Being just removed from a country town you are probably livin it up. Good Times

That weekend Cezar mentioned should be good for me. I think I am do back friday. Mornings through early afternoon is best for but hey im a freak. Sounds like we may just get something pulled together here.

Ah stuff I have. for possible use. x vest, bands, several olympis bars and plates, I found a discus, I copuld easily swing a huge tire here in Kansas at a tire shop I used to run, shipping is another story, I do know of a used tire lot down the way in Fairfax and the construction company idea is great. Its expensive to get rid of those suckers legally. Oh I have a pair of Gravity boots I use if anyone would be interested in that. We could use TriGWU as a rope for some tug of war stuff if any of us can catch the little bugger.

Thats about the extent of what I got. Keep the ideas a coming. A day of heavy lifting and some flamed eats and a beverage or two could be a nice change of pace.

If someone is collecting names for PMing, add me to the list. A buddy of mine works for Clark Construction, I’ll ask him about used tired. but I won’t be able to transport it in my car. If and when this comes together, somebody with a truck will have to pick it up if he can get us a one/a couple.

josh

Ok Let me throw out some logistics, how about Saturday at 11am at Towers park in Arlington off of columbia pike.

Reply back with comments on the date/time and events. If you have suggestions feel free to throw them out. Also what equipment you could bring.

Have:
Keg
Sled
Stopwatch
Need:
Tire
Two heavy objects to do farmerd walks with, dumbbells, chucks of rail.
Other heavy toys.

Phil, I went by that kayak place today, looks like their out of business.

cool sounds good to me…im taking the day off work for a BBQ at 5pm so Ill be free to train before that…

Cezar sounds good. I may not be 100% due to jet lag and crap but no excuses for some fun eh’

I will bring my x vest, taht disc if I can find it. I can either bring two olt plate loaded DBs or full size olympic bars for farmwers walks with the long bars giving a bit harder task due to the balance and what not. Just let me know guy which I should brinmg and an idea on the load we may want. I will also bring my gravity boots no better way to get odd looks than by throwing kegs, running nwith weights and x vests and hanging upside down from the monkey bars. LOL

Let me know about the wieght and bar preference.

Oh towers park is that the one on Scott?? I dont pay attention to their names.

Ltr,
Phill

Cezar.

I forgot to cover this part. On the kayacks. Yes I saw they closed down the shop. BUT they used to rent them out of the Ski Rentsal place on the same block. They opened that up. I bet they just diodnt get the business to warrant the extra lease etc. May have went back to the old way. I’ll check that out when I get back.

They do however rent canoes down on the river.

Ltr,
Phill

[quote]CEZAR wrote:
Ok Let me throw out some logistics, how about Saturday at 11am at Towers park in Arlington off of columbia pike.

Reply back with comments on the date/time and events. If you have suggestions feel free to throw them out. Also what equipment you could bring.

Have:
Keg
Sled
Stopwatch
Need:
Tire
Two heavy objects to do farmerd walks with, dumbbells, chucks of rail.
Other heavy toys.

Phil, I went by that kayak place today, looks like their out of business.[/quote]

saw the post looks like fun, i’m in pentagon city, i cant really bring much to the table in terms of equipment, but ive got a buddy who has a bunch of diff kbells and clubbells i could borrow from. pm me

I’d go with the full sized bars, I’d guess we’d have to start with a light load do to the awakwardness, maybe start at 95 per bar.

Yeah Towers Park is at the end of Scott Street. The side of Scott that’s on the same side as the Sheraton.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Cezar sounds good. I may not be 100% due to jet lag and crap but no excuses for some fun eh’

I will bring my x vest, taht disc if I can find it. I can either bring two olt plate loaded DBs or full size olympic bars for farmwers walks with the long bars giving a bit harder task due to the balance and what not. Just let me know guy which I should brinmg and an idea on the load we may want. I will also bring my gravity boots no better way to get odd looks than by throwing kegs, running nwith weights and x vests and hanging upside down from the monkey bars. LOL

Let me know about the wieght and bar preference.

Oh towers park is that the one on Scott?? I dont pay attention to their names.

Ltr,
Phill[/quote]