DB vs BB Bench Strength

Hello, I didn’t know where to post this so I’ll post this here

I have noticed that most people are better at the BB bench than at the DB bench. Lots of people will be able to bench 225 for reps but with struggle with 80lbs DB.

I am the complete opposite. I hitted a 1rm of 275 on bench today and I did 120x4 on DB flat right after (after 8+months of not doing any DB pec work because of a hiatus and because I train at home). My PR on DB flat is 120x8 and not much than 275 on bench. I always had problems bringing my bench up.

DB flat hits my chest pretty good but I feel that if I dont do BB bench it will hurt my progress in the long run. My training goal is to become stronger overall with an emphasis on bodybuilding exercises. For example I try to get stronger on high-bar squats and curls.

The question is: should I stick with the Barbell bench or should I ditch it? Does anyone here had success with only doing DB work for and no BB work? Is it a good idea?

Does anyone know why someone is better/suck at DB or at the BB bench?

For what it’s worth I am 6’0 bodyweight about 200lbs, I have long arms and my deadlift is better than my squat

This is a classic case of over-thinking useless information.

Unless you want to become a powerlifter, who cares!

DB works for you, use it. Probably 101 reason why you are stronger. I use it, because of carpet tunnel in my wrists and the DB’s let me rotate my wrist a bit, so less pain.

You are having success with DB’s and wondering if you should ditch them??

i think barbell bench is a great way to get stronger i think u should for a week or two focus on barbell bench and if no progress go back to your normal routine. I like to hit chest twice a week first day is all barbell and the second i hit db because of the ability to really put stress on the chest. i hope this helps

[quote]JFG wrote:
DB works for you, use it.

You are having success with DB’s and wondering if you should ditch them??[/quote]

^^this.

If DB’s are working for you and getting you to your goals then I dont understand why BB Bench matters?

If you feel it more with DBs why would you do BB? Besides having bragging rights I don’t see any point in doing them.

I myself do BB. My arms are so long that DB Presses feel more like a tricep/shoulder movement to me .

[quote]DazeTheOne wrote:
I myself do BB. My arms are so long that DB Presses feel more like a tricep/shoulder movement to me . [/quote]

I’ve found the same thing. I have no idea why, but dumbbells have never felt good or natural to me, especially flat DB benching (in general) and getting them into position most of the time. But then, as you said, it just feels like a delt exercise.

Which is weird, because you’d think that BB pressing would be more thrown “off” by the long arms.

IDK, I just do what works for me.

sorry this thread was posted twice in the BB and Powerlifting section.

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]DazeTheOne wrote:
I myself do BB. My arms are so long that DB Presses feel more like a tricep/shoulder movement to me . [/quote]

I’ve found the same thing. I have no idea why, but dumbbells have never felt good or natural to me, especially flat DB benching (in general) and getting them into position most of the time. But then, as you said, it just feels like a delt exercise.

Which is weird, because you’d think that BB pressing would be more thrown “off” by the long arms.

IDK, I just do what works for me.[/quote]

I’m literally the exact opposite. I’ve tried so many times to try and get on board with BB pressing, it just doesn’t work.

And OP, my 1RM for straight BB press is 185, but I can do 95’s for five reps with DB presses.

Try floor presses you might like them.

A weak flat bar bench compared to dumbells can sometimes indicate a relative lack of upper back strength. With dumbells you can stabilize your upper back in an almost endless variety of humerus positions, as well as move your hands in any plane throughout the course of the exercise.

With a barbell, you grip the bar and are much more limited with the angles your humerus can take. A stronger upper back allows you to stabilize easier in suboptimal positions. The other obvious fact is that there is a definitive beginning and end to a bar bench, not with a dumbell bench.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]JFG wrote:
DB works for you, use it.

You are having success with DB’s and wondering if you should ditch them??[/quote]

^^this.

If DB’s are working for you and getting you to your goals then I dont understand why BB Bench matters? [/quote]
3rded. This applies to everything. Learn everything you can from others and from science but remember you are an individual and science has been wrong. If your body tells you something listen.

If eating nothing but 4 chocolate cakes a day for a year gets you big strong ripped and feeling great, and eating meat chicken breat peri workout carbs ect gets you weak and fat which should you do? Obviously highly unlikely hyperbole, but just remember listen to your body everyones “essentials” that must be done or things that “must” be avoided are not the same.

More specific. Barbell bench never gained me any strength or size and bothers my shoulders dumbell gives me strength size and makes my shoulder feel good. Its a pretty easy decision IDC if moses appears with a tablet saying i must barbellbench my body isn’t lying.

Its overanalysis, but seriously what is there on this site but overanalysis? Tnation.com should just be a blank page that says: “Press, Squat, Pull, Eat, Sleep, Repeat” but I need something to read on my phone on the shitter at work.

[quote]dylan10507 wrote:
If eating nothing but 4 chocolate cakes a day for a year[/quote]

Dude, what happened to the chocolate cake kid? He actually did what he said he would do and stopped posting, wtf. That was such an entertaining thread.

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]dylan10507 wrote:
If eating nothing but 4 chocolate cakes a day for a year[/quote]

Dude, what happened to the chocolate cake kid? He actually did what he said he would do and stopped posting, wtf. That was such an entertaining thread.[/quote]

that was fun. he had the most impressive wrists that i’ve ever seen.

As many above me have stated, go with what works. I haven’t flat BB benched in years. It just hurts my forearms, and my shoulders real bad. No issues with incline though. I was able to get fairly heavy with it but it wasn’t DOING anything for me.

Once I was able to figure out that I want my strength and muscle to grow and not my ego I switched over to DB’s. DB’s hit my chest much better . The fact that you can control the range of motion 100% and can make small changes on the fly to get better mind muscle concentration is win/win for me. Go with what works…

As many above me have stated, go with what works. I haven’t flat BB benched in years. It just hurts my forearms, and my shoulders real bad. No issues with incline though. I was able to get fairly heavy with it but it wasn’t DOING anything for me. Once I was able to figure out that I want my strength and muscle to grow and not my ego I switched over to DB’s. DB’s hit my chest much better . The fact that you can control the range of motion 100% and can make small changes on the fly to get better mind muscle concentration is win/win for me. Go with what works…

[quote]Mateus wrote:
As many above me have stated, go with what works. I haven’t flat BB benched in years. It just hurts my forearms, and my shoulders real bad. No issues with incline though. I was able to get fairly heavy with it but it wasn’t DOING anything for me.

Once I was able to figure out that I want my strength and muscle to grow and not my ego I switched over to DB’s. DB’s hit my chest much better . The fact that you can control the range of motion 100% and can make small changes on the fly to get better mind muscle concentration is win/win for me. Go with what works…[/quote]

Im not really into benching in general anymore, but I had the same progression. I had some back asymetry things that made flat weird, then incline felt good but only do it for power, and use dumbells for mind muscle connection. I do push presses and incline dumbell bench most of the time, and alternate barbell incline every so often, and have never felt better. I also recall reading somewhere here that nobody has ever had too much upper chest, which reinforced my decision.