DB vs BB Bench Press

i exclusively press with DB’s rather than BB, and do so in a neutral position just because of my shoulders.

I spent the first 3 years of my training using BB bench, and after a while it really started to put pressure on the front of each shoulder, especially the right side. The DB’s allow me to get a better range of motion, and better stabilization.

hopefully one day i will be able to press BB pain free, but I don’t know. It really taxes my shoulders these days.

[quote]plateau wrote:
iflyboats wrote:
Barbell is superior if you have a spotter. I’m not saying dumbells are bad, far from it, but you sacrifice some activation due to the instability.

I get much better (chest) activation) with DBs, I attribute it to being able to go deeper with DBs. Am sure if one was pressing with a cambered bar rather than a straight bar they would be more equal.[/quote]

that’s probably true

Let me get this straight. Benching with DB’s would be better for size because of the stretch at the bottom of the movement and stabilization but your strength gains will be dismal (not dismal, but not incredible). Benching with a BB will result in greater strength gains but not hypertrophy because your chest doesn’t have to also pull the weights together and push but can lead to shoulder injuries? Is it better for an athlete to use DB’s because the stabilzation is more functional or BB because of greater strength gains?

IME DB’s are better for flat bench, and BB is better for incline. Personally, I think incline bench is superior to flat and decline bench in every way.

I honestly think you could argue both sides. DBs will allow for the ancillary muscles to work as far as stabilization goes. Of course BB work will typically allow you to press more weight which will result in greater stress put on the secondary muscles as well… That’s a real doozie. I guess the best answer would be to incorporate both to some degree. If you do Flat BB and Inc DBs one week, do Flat DBs and Inc BB the next.

S

I personally get hella chest stimulation from bb presses, and more shoulder stimulation from DBs. I even get hella chest stimulation from one boards…

i stopped BB benching for the last two months and only used DBs for flat and incline in that time. I BB bench last week and my total increased by more then 20lbs.

I like the stretch I get with dumbbells, but I also do BB. I usually switch every month concentrating on one or the other.

Shouldn’t have to be said but… technique/muscle dominance on BB has a big impact on which muscles “feel” like they’re working. I’m stronger pulling the bar apart but this does not lead to a great chest workout IMO.

When I bench with a bar I bring it all the way down to my chest. With Dumbbells I find I can’t go as low because the plates hit my chest. I don’t understand when people say Dumbbells allow a longer range of motion at the bottom. If you had a palms in grip, maybe then it would be possible. For the record I still like both equally.

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:
When I bench with a bar I bring it all the way down to my chest. With Dumbbells I find I can’t go as low because the plates hit my chest. I don’t understand when people say Dumbbells allow a longer range of motion at the bottom. If you had a palms in grip, maybe then it would be possible. For the record I still like both equally.[/quote]

DB’s give me a greater ROM then using a BB. I do bring the BB down to my chest, but with DBs, i can bring the weight down to my armpits and if i need to i can bring the weight out even more lateral open up my chest a little more.

That last part probably didn’t make sense, haha.

[quote]JaX Un wrote:
MytchBucanan wrote:
When I bench with a bar I bring it all the way down to my chest. With Dumbbells I find I can’t go as low because the plates hit my chest. I don’t understand when people say Dumbbells allow a longer range of motion at the bottom. If you had a palms in grip, maybe then it would be possible. For the record I still like both equally.

DB’s give me a greater ROM then using a BB. I do bring the BB down to my chest, but with DBs, i can bring the weight down to my armpits and if i need to i can bring the weight out even more lateral open up my chest a little more.

That last part probably didn’t make sense, haha.[/quote]

I understand the greater ROM over all because of bringing the bells together at the top. I just find that if I grip the dumbbells like a barbell, then I can rarely go as low. I just need to experiment some more.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
I personally get hella chest stimulation from bb presses, and more shoulder stimulation from DBs. I even get hella chest stimulation from one boards…[/quote]

Please stop saying hella

I feel I get more pec stimulation and strength from DB.
I switch it up every 2-3 weeks though.

I like barbell better for pec stimulation. I can set myself up under the bar much easier, my body feels tighter, and I can go for higher weights.
With dumbbells I have to kick the DB to the shoulders and roll back, press up, then retract scapula, arch, etc. This leaves a lot of weak points because I can’t get in the bench position perfectly with DB.

Anybody else know how to setup easier with DB? eg. scapular retraction and arching etc. Do people even do this for DB bench press?

[quote]Pbjellytime wrote:
I like barbell better for pec stimulation. I can set myself up under the bar much easier, my body feels tighter, and I can go for higher weights.
With dumbbells I have to kick the DB to the shoulders and roll back, press up, then retract scapula, arch, etc. This leaves a lot of weak points because I can’t get in the bench position perfectly with DB.

Anybody else know how to setup easier with DB? eg. scapular retraction and arching etc. Do people even do this for DB bench press?[/quote]

I press 120’s for 6 with no arch. Could I press more with an arch? Maybe. Would it involve an unnecessary expenditure of energy? Yes. Remember, an arch is achieved prior to unracking the weight in the execution of a barbell bench. Unless you have a very tall, very strong spotter to hand you the weight, arching on DB press sounds kind of taxing and I imagine it looking silly in practice.

I stopped focusing on the bench so much when I realized that it was hurting my elbow…my theory is that I was using my right side to get the weight up, so all that pressure was on the one side as well…

switched to dbs,primarily and I actually feel SORE the day after…I know that doesn’t mean much, but it kinda lets me know, that ya, something was stimulated :wink:

I don’t post on here…ever. But for the BB flat benchers out there, check out the attached picture.

Not that BB flat Bench is evil, but because of ego, incorrect form (the Bodybuilder “iron-cross”, arms-out bottom position as opposed to powerlfiting style) and a whole slew of other things, it is an EXTREMELY dangerous exercise for most people.

From Chad Waterbury’s most recent article:
“… I don’t care how long a heavy, traditional barbell bench press has been part of the iron game, it sucks for your shoulder joints. I haven’t had a client do a full range of motion barbell bench press in three years. I’m happy to report that this change has allowed me to spend more time training them, and less time treating their soft tissue injuries.” (My emphasis added on full ROM.)

I think this says a lot. You may never convince a powerlifter to ditch the BB bench press, but I’m guessing the majority of us are probably better off considering alternatives (at least limited range, like board or floor presses).

Personally, I suffered a moderate AC joint dislocation from flat, full ROM BB benching. I’ve since switched to DB presses (always w/ at least a slight incline) and never have any pain or weird feelings like I’m doing any damage to my shoulders. I particularly like a variation I saw on here recently (can’t find it now) where you keep one DB held UP while cranking out reps with the other.

@ Buckrice Nice find !

I have traded the old BB bench press for DB but that is mainly because that i switched to using my home gym more often and atm i dont see the need to use a BB when you got dumbbells that go high enough ?

also i believe that DB bench press are better for handball because you never throw with 2 arms(i would say something about triceps and chest muscle for throwing but its nothing i can prove)