DB Squat/Hybrid Exercise Concept.

I’m sorry if an idea like this has been posted, i’ve never read about it.I was thinking about DB Squats (a kid in BB forum mentioned them), and wondered if this would be a practical idea.

You squat with a heavy DB in each hand(this won’t work if your rack only goes to 70’s), and as you reach the bottom of the lift, you shrug up your shoulders and pull the weight upwards in a way resembling a BB row before beginning your ascent.

Seems to me like you’d work quads, traps, lats, and grip, assuming you didn’t use straps and did at least a moderately long set.

I understand that for the bigger/stronger guys this is impractical, because most gyms don’t have dbs up to 200’s (though some lucky people’s do), but i think it’s worth a try. I’ll prolly try it in my evening workout tomorrow.

No worries of getting stuck at the bottom, you can just drop the dumbells.

Thoughts?

Is that not basically a suitcase deadlift?

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
This is the Get a Life forum, pal. Take that shit elsewhere.

[/quote]

What, this is the bodybuilding forum…pal.

OP, give it a try, I personally wouldn’t do it but mainly because I don’t like DB squats, I don’t really feel it in my quads, it pretty much feels like a DB deadlift. But, if you feel it in all those spots you mentioned, then it prolly is working them.

[quote]PF_88 wrote:
WolBarret wrote:

What, this is the bodybuilding forum…pal.[/quote]

Wait…what? Really…what the fuck just happened?

Did I get lost or something?

Girly exercise, do the standard squat, if ur worried about safety or ur 1 of those guys who go to failure have a spotter or a saft rak

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
PF_88 wrote:
WolBarret wrote:

Did I get lost or something?[/quote]

Is that sarcasm?

[quote]PF_88 wrote:
WolBarret wrote:

What, this is the bodybuilding forum…pal.[/quote]

This thread started out in the Get a Life forum. I made a post requesting it be moved since it didn’t belong in Get a Life. It’s in Bodybuilding now, where it should be.

[quote]Player wrote:
Girly exercise, do the standard squat, if ur worried about safety or ur 1 of those guys who go to failure have a spotter or a saft rak[/quote]

I do regular squat…i was merely contemplating the benefits of an exercise that worked different body parts simultaneously.

[quote]PF_88 wrote:
WolBarret wrote:
PF_88 wrote:
WolBarret wrote:

Did I get lost or something?

Is that sarcasm?[/quote]

Not at all. Vader cleared it up for us.

ahhh I gotcha, you had me checking where I was posting wolbarret, as I never really go to the get a life forum.

I have done DB squat before and the isolation muscles in my arms and shoulders got the most work.

I didn’t get the same feeling in my quads as I would from, say, front squats. It is a great compound lift, though. It really really takes it out of you.

Don’t do exercises that mix upper and lower body movements with the same weight. You can’t row as much as you can squat, so how about you squat and row separately with their proper respective weights?

[quote]Blaze_108 wrote:
Player wrote:
Girly exercise, do the standard squat, if ur worried about safety or ur 1 of those guys who go to failure have a spotter or a saft rak

I do regular squat…i was merely contemplating the benefits of an exercise that worked different body parts simultaneously.[/quote]

I remember reading that supersets are better than combination exercises. There will always be that one limiting factor that won’t allow the other muscles to get worked properly.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
Blaze_108 wrote:
Player wrote:

I remember reading that supersets are better than combination exercises. There will always be that one limiting factor that won’t allow the other muscles to get worked properly.[/quote]

yeah, i’ve read that somewhere and pretty much agree with it. I’m sure that there are some exceptions, like maybe OHP and standing tricep extensions, but for the most part, it IS impractical.

This was just a random idea i had, and wondered what other people thought of it. Sometimes i only have time to get a quick 20 minutes in before i have to leave, so i’d want to hit as many muscle groups as i could.

[quote]Blaze_108 wrote:
ukrainian wrote:
Blaze_108 wrote:
Player wrote:

I remember reading that supersets are better than combination exercises. There will always be that one limiting factor that won’t allow the other muscles to get worked properly.

yeah, i’ve read that somewhere and pretty much agree with it. I’m sure that there are some exceptions, like maybe OHP and standing tricep extensions, but for the most part, it IS impractical.

This was just a random idea i had, and wondered what other people thought of it. Sometimes i only have time to get a quick 20 minutes in before i have to leave, so i’d want to hit as many muscle groups as i could.[/quote]

OHS and standing tricep extension?? That wouldn’t work for me either. I’d have to keep changing my grip as I use a really wide grip on overhead squats. Did you mention that because you think it would work, or you have done and it does work.

The only combination exercise I usually do is the power clean and push press, usually just called the clean and press. But as someone else mentioned, one of the exercises will have a lighter weight then what you would normally do for it.

I said OHP. overhead press (military press). I use about a shoulder width grip for each.

[quote]Blaze_108 wrote:
I said OHP. overhead press (military press). I use about a shoulder width grip for each.[/quote]

My mistake, even still, I can overhead press way more then I can do on tricep extensions so that combination lies under the same problem.

Ah. Wnderstandable. I use about the same weight. I’m tricep dominant and really need to bring up my delts, so it works for me. Each to his own i suppose.