T Nation

DB Rows Felt In Rear Delts

Now in my training programs, i am switching up from low rep/low volume, to higher rep range(10-15 reps) and volume. My last back workout(yesterday) was going pretty good…until i got to one arm db rows. My back seemed to be able to do more reps, but my delts would burn like crazy and i had to stop the movement.

Today i have a much worse soreness in my rear and side delts than my upper back. Now i’m wondering if it has something to do with my form or if maybe it’s just a natural different reaction to raising the rep and volume level up from the previous style i would workout which was rest-pauseish. It might be possible i lost some form doing the heavy weight till failure over and over.

I bend over roughly parallel to the ground and put my other hand on a bench, then i let my arm fall naturally straight down with the db to start the rep and pull on that same plane up or a little to my lower back and side.

I know its different without a video of it, but i would think my form’s pretty good. any ideas?

Cheating definitely changes the nature of the exercise. But for me it’s been lats vs. middle back. Unless your rear delts are really that weak, it just sounds like you’re flaring your elbows out more.

hmmmm, rows are a good way to hit your rear delts… I think your form probably is right on, you just have discovered a weakness in your physique.

with me my weakness is my forearms, they will fail before I can really hammer my biceps which is why i do a lot of other stuff to makeup for it while also working on my forearms.

I’ve started going pretty heavy with low-reps/high-volume on the db rows. Man, my rear delts were wasted on Monday. Feels good dont it!

[quote]wfifer wrote:
Cheating definitely changes the nature of the exercise. But for me it’s been lats vs. middle back. Unless your rear delts are really that weak, it just sounds like you’re flaring your elbows out more. [/quote]

I agree here. Tuck the elbows in and pull through the elbow and not the hand.

I think it’s just a natural response to the higher volume. About a week ago, I did significantly more volume on the DB rows than usual, and the next couple days, I almost cried every time I reached back to put my seatbelt on in the car.

[quote]rmccart1 wrote:
I think it’s just a natural response to the higher volume. About a week ago [/quote]

I don’t understand why a change in volume should shift the emphasis off the targeted muscles. Causing soreness/pain overall I can see, but not it changing positions. If you do bench press 3x10 for months and always feel it in the pec delt tie in then switch to 5x5 would you expect the soreness to shift to your triceps over night?

[quote]kinein wrote:
hmmmm, rows are a good way to hit your rear delts… I think your form probably is right on, you just have discovered a weakness in your physique.

with me my weakness is my forearms, they will fail before I can really hammer my biceps which is why i do a lot of other stuff to makeup for it while also working on my forearms.
[/quote]

[quote]wfifer wrote:
Cheating definitely changes the nature of the exercise. But for me it’s been lats vs. middle back. Unless your rear delts are really that weak, it just sounds like you’re flaring your elbows out more.
[/quote]

I think you both are probably right here. It’s a weakness in my physique and there is always room for improvement in form. thanks

[quote]Neebone wrote:
I’ve started going pretty heavy with low-reps/high-volume on the db rows. Man, my rear delts were wasted on Monday. Feels good dont it![/quote]

haha yeah, there’s some kind of sick pleasure us physique builders tend to get from extreme DOMS ha