T Nation

DB Rows and Back Pain

I was doing db rows yesterday and in my third set I felt a nagging pain make it’s way through my back. It wasn’t a sting but a really dull and annoying feeling.

I had my knee on a bench and was rowing with ,for me, heavy db’s, going all out on the last 3 reps. I always stretch out the back and keep a slight bend at the elbow at the bottom, and when I pull it back up I retract my shoulderblade. It’s basicly a Kroc row with the pullthrough added in. Maybe I should drop that?

The pain isn’t in the spinal cord, but more on the right side of my middle back right by the flying rib. When I bend sideways or look backwards it hurts a little but today squatting went fine.

I thought that maybe it was simply a torque problem and I need to strengthen my entire core more. But that’s just guessing it, so I was hoping some people here would have some ideas.

Given the area (I am thinking the part of the lat which touches the ‘christmas tree’ of the lower back) and the exercise, I would think that it is a torque problem.

I get that sometimes in my back doing DB Rows, my rep style is similar to yours. However I have found that when I am focusing on the last few reps, even the slightest turn of my torso paired with a quick contraction from a fully stretched position wreaks havoc there.

I fixed my problem by now attempting to bounce the weight off my chest rather than bring it to my side, damn near impossible to rotate doing that, my rear delts like it too.

[quote]silverhydra wrote:
Given the area (I am thinking the part of the lat which touches the ‘christmas tree’ of the lower back) and the exercise, I would think that it is a torque problem.

I get that sometimes in my back doing DB Rows, my rep style is similar to yours. However I have found that when I am focusing on the last few reps, even the slightest turn of my torso paired with a quick contraction from a fully stretched position wreaks havoc there.

I fixed my problem by now attempting to bounce the weight off my chest rather than bring it to my side, damn near impossible to rotate doing that, my rear delts like it too.[/quote]

So my assumption seems correct. We’ll see how it works out next time then. I’ll alter my technique a little and if that doesn’t help, it’s time to do some serious core work.