DB Rows- 175lb x 33 Reps

[quote]JNeves wrote:
n3wb wrote:
seems atainable tho dosent it? I mean if you had acces to 170lb dumbells and gave it a year or two

what are the biggest dumbells you have access to and how many reps can you do with them?[/quote]

100’s are the most I used but we got 115s now and I can do like 11-12 but I dont do them I dont have the best form but they hit my chest

n3wb

[quote]Hanley wrote:

Keep in mind that’s probably the 4th movement in his workout and he’s probably already killed him self on a max effort movement. Which makes the feat even more impressive.[/quote]

Not only that, but if I remember correctly, he said that he fails at 33 because of grip strength, not lat strength. Pretty damn impressive.

Haha. I watched that with my girlfriend who is pretty new to working out. She goes “is that how you do em’?” I was like “You tell him its the wrong way” than proceeded to point out that land mass behind his arm known as his back.

Cheers

[quote]Edders wrote:
Is the guy strong? Yes. But those are NOT dumbbell rows. His form sucked.

[/quote]

[quote]Edders wrote:
Is the guy strong? Yes. But those are NOT dumbbell rows. His form sucked.

[/quote]

Every big and strong guy I know do their rows like this. I think he has great form.

i dont see anything wrong with it? looks pretty solid to me. Its obviously worked for this monster.

Did he perform 33 reps for his left side too?

Yeah, there’s a little bit of body english, but it’s no DW video. Really, solid til the very end. All the reps hit his chest, and he didn’t bounce them off the ground or bring his chest halfway down to the bench to meet the dumbell. AND it’s a finisher move. Come on Edders.

[quote]Edders wrote:
heavythrower wrote:
hahahahaha!

yeah, obviously if he did them the way YOU would teach, he would be jacked, as is he is pretty average.

btw, he has a RAW 700lb squat, deadlift, and 500lb RAW bench. damn. imagine where he would be if he just listened to CW or CT and followed some of the routines posted here at T-Nation.

Oh wait a second…did I say he was strong? Yea I did.
[/quote]

yeah, haha, i got you. i usually do not jump onto comments like yours, i am just old enough to know about the way things were before the INTERNET(echo effects).

we(myself included, i trashed the Phil heath video of 225lb bench press 46 times) seem to like to find fault with just about everyone and everything.

as far as the dynamics of this site goes, i doubt that even a guy who looked like cave-man, or frank Zane, who could ass to ground squat 1000lbs like fifty times, AND was a proven lifetime drug free guy, would get some criticism from somebody.

no worries, true his ROM was a little short, and he did use a little “body english” like somebody else said, but he is a very strong guy.

i don’t nut hug too much, as i have been around the iron game for a while and trained and been around some world class strength athletes, and i don’t impress too easily, but form what little i know(read/heard) about this guy, i am pretty impressed.

a world class lifter who also has substantial RAW strength, does not adhere to any particular training dogma(he does not follow a traditional westside template even) and has great success in his personal life, (family man, a career as a pharmacist is think).

whatever, just my opinion, it is as worthless as the next guys…

[quote]Hanley wrote:
sapasion wrote:
Well I was impressed. You gotta remember there’s many ways to do DB rows just like any exercise. Sure he wasn’t pulling to his hip but my God in Heaven with a 175lb DB who would. What he was doing was much like doing a 3 Board Press. Sure, ROM is limited ROM is not the main point; moving a BIG ASS weight is. He wasn’t swinging it up either, expect maybe at the end

NB sapasion, this is not aimed at you.

good post.

seems i have noticed over the years, the biggest and strongest guys i have ever seen tend to “cheat” a little on very heavy weights, take a look at some of ronnies videos, AND they seem to train instinctively. they find out what works for them and go with it, not with whatever guru’s in demand at the time, be it poliquin, king, Waterbury, ct, or even westside. tht is the reason behind my sort of smart ass comment earlier.

to get strong you have to break plateues, and to do that sometimes you have to sacrifice on form just to force your body into believing it can take heavier loads.
Of course he has a shortened ROM!! He’s thick as fuck and the dumbell is gigantic. There’s no way in hell he could get the same ROM as a 150lb’er rowing 35’s.

God sometimes I wonder if people in the STRENGTH SPORTS forum actually understand what it takes to get strong.[/quote]

[quote]wressler125 wrote:
Hanley wrote:

Keep in mind that’s probably the 4th movement in his workout and he’s probably already killed him self on a max effort movement. Which makes the feat even more impressive.

Not only that, but if I remember correctly, he said that he fails at 33 because of grip strength, not lat strength. Pretty damn impressive.
[/quote]

That was going to be my next post!! Right on.

He actually does them first in his workouts.

Dumbbell rows 70x10,100x10,175x30
Seated one arm laterals 50x15
Dumbbell overhead extensions 70x10,120x15
Concentration curls 40x15,15

I’d like to know the recovery time in between arm sets when doing 33 reps to failure. looks like you’d be pretty winded from that kind of strength endurance set.

Grip is usually the limiting factor in any kind of pulling whether it be for strength or endurance. laters pk

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
Edders wrote:
heavythrower wrote:
hahahahaha!

yeah, obviously if he did them the way YOU would teach, he would be jacked, as is he is pretty average.

btw, he has a RAW 700lb squat, deadlift, and 500lb RAW bench. damn. imagine where he would be if he just listened to CW or CT and followed some of the routines posted here at T-Nation.

yeah, haha, i got you. i usually do not jump onto comments like yours, i am just old enough to know about the way things were before the INTERNET(echo effects).

we(myself included, i trashed the Phil heath video of 225lb bench press 46 times) seem to like to find fault with just about everyone and everything.

as far as the dynamics of this site goes, i doubt that even a guy who looked like cave-man, or frank Zane, who could ass to ground squat 1000lbs like fifty times, AND was a proven lifetime drug free guy, would get some criticism from somebody.

no worries, true his ROM was a little short, and he did use a little “body english” like somebody else said, but he is a very strong guy.

i don’t nut hug too much, as i have been around the iron game for a while and trained and been around some world class strength athletes, and i don’t impress too easily, but form what little i know(read/heard) about this guy, i am pretty impressed.

a world class lifter who also has substantial RAW strength, does not adhere to any particular training dogma(he does not follow a traditional westside template even) and has great success in his personal life, (family man, a career as a pharmacist is think).

whatever, just my opinion, it is as worthless as the next guys…[/quote]

Actually, I’ve been reading this site for a while and I have great respect for your opinion, unlike a few of the others who posted on this thread.

And I’m glad you agree with me:

And if some of the others would reread my original post they would see that I said essentially the same thing.

Maybe some of the clueless will read your post and learn.

It’s easy to respect this mans strength, and I do. But, at the same time that does not remove his technique from criticism. Even from someone less gifted such as myself.

Have a good one.

I think a lot of people understand what you’re saying. Anyone with eyes knows he is a strong dude. But your original post had no context. You said something like those were NOT rows, and his form sucked.

Well, if your coaching a beginner to do a dumbbell row, than thats probably not how you would coach it. Do you think that the way HE did those would be injurious to HIM? Do you think HE derives NO benefit from those?

I hate to sound like an E-retard by capitalizing some words, but you get my point. Elite lifters have different bodies and movement patterns than average joes. Look at an elite deadlifter pull, and you will see some rounding of the spine. But that doesn’t matter because they are using a tremendous amount of hip and upperback strength to do the lift.

So, you can criticize his technique (even if your less gifted), but until you fully understand how HIS body operates and the stressors he is under from this movement, your opinion on the issue is worthless.

I can take an introductory biomechanics class and watch Michael Johnson sprint that 200 he did in Atlanta (I believe) and criticize his running technique, but my opinion is useless because I have never approached those velocities or competed at that level. Get my point?

In short, it’s not apples to apples, his form didn’t suck for him, it was a great video, and if more people could row 175 pound dumbbells the world would be a better place. ahaha

Pat

[quote]Edders wrote:
heavythrower wrote:
Edders wrote:
heavythrower wrote:
hahahahaha!

whatever, just my opinion, it is as worthless as the next guys…

Actually, I’ve been reading this site for a while and I have great respect for your opinion, unlike a few of the others who posted on this thread.

And I’m glad you agree with me:

true his ROM was a little short, and he did use a little “body english” like somebody else said, but he is a very strong guy.

And if some of the others would reread my original post they would see that I said essentially the same thing.

Maybe some of the clueless will read your post and learn.

It’s easy to respect this mans strength, and I do. But, at the same time that does not remove his technique from criticism. Even from someone less gifted such as myself.

Have a good one.[/quote]

damn thats impressive, who cares what way he pulls it. its all about getting big and strong.

ummmmm my guess is by the 33rd rep of anything form just my suffer a little

How many people here could do 5 of those with strict? Not many
I know I couldn’t

Yeah, im not comment on his form, because if he threw on another 15 pounds, he’d be one arm rowing me, and he’s probably get a solid 25 reps. Dammit, im gonna got eat a half dozen eggs, i hate being small.

This guy is a cancer survivor too!!

Guys.

Most of us cant do this weight.

It seems even on big ole Ronnie, that when these guys are doing bodybuilding work sometimes they go for form and tightness, and othertimes they go for that “pumping action” where the form is not quite perfect.

It works. Till you have perfect form for a weight you need to get stronger. But to get stronger you often have to break down in form.

I’m most impressed by his grip strength. That is freaky!

I’m fairly sure I could get close to 33 reps with 175’s fresh at the start of a workout, but only with straps. And I have a solid grip too!

I routinely use 160’s for sets of 12-15 toward the end of my workout, not going to failure.