T Nation

DB Press & DB Row Strength Relationship

So I know opposing muscles are supposed to be somewhat even in strength, but I was wondering how do your DB Row and DB Press compare?

My DB Press is 100 x 1
My DB Row is 95 x 8

Clearly my back is way stronger than my chest. Is this normal?

u can cheat on db row more than press

[quote]bignate wrote:
u can cheat on db row more than press[/quote]

Exactly. My dumbbell row weights are way higher than dumbbell press. I inevitably cheat with dumbbell rows, but my back/bis also generally increase in strength faster than chest/shoulders/tris. My barbell row is also higher than my barbell bench.

[quote]Fluid wrote:
So I know opposing muscles are supposed to be somewhat even in strength, but I was wondering how do your DB Row and DB Press compare?

My DB Press is 100 x 1
My DB Row is 95 x 8

Clearly my back is way stronger than my chest. Is this normal?[/quote]

“Is this normal” - yes. Think about the size of your back muscles versus the size of your chest muscles. Pair that with the fact that if you work your shoulders sometime that week as well, they will most likely still be recovering when you hit dumbbell presses.

Your barbell row is higher than your bench?
Is it just or me is that very uncommon?

My barbell row is higher than my barbell bench, but I have not gotten very big or strong… yet.

SquatDeep, I don’t know if it’s very uncommon. My deadlift, barbell row, and db row weights all increase a lot faster than pressing exercises. Perhaps because I do pulling exercises only once a week (back day… but I guess kinda also on leg day with romanian deadlifts) and pushing exercises are done twice a week (on chest day and on shoulder day).

It’s not uncommon SquatDeep- My bench is higher than my row- but you have to take into account how people row. Some cheat letting the bodyweight do some of the work, some row at a 45 degree angle instead of a 90 degree angle (my opinion 45 degrees is easier). Many people use their mind muscle connection to pull with their arms instead of their back.

There are also ways to cheat on bp like using a super wide grip lessening the ROM, bouncing off the chest, using your back and legs for extra pounds etc. Then there’s also genetics to acct for. Some people have biiger backs or chests than others. What I’m trying to say is that it’s different from person to person. Except when very wide variances in weight occur- ie. 250lb bench press and 100lb Row.