T Nation

DB or BB Squats?

Are either of these more beneficial than the other? It seems to me without a spotter that the dumbbell squats would be easier to do, as I can just drop the weight if I cant handle it. However is the barbell squat more effective?
Thanks for helpin me guys.

Use a squat rack. I suppose dumbell squats have their place, but I can’t imagine focusing on squatting holding very heavy dumbells. And I don’t think my gym actually has heavy enough dumbells to get a good workout either unless doing higher rep work.

In general, it’s better to do BB squats, mostly because you’ll be able to handle much more weight. Your options with DB squats would be to pretty much hold the DBs by your sides and perform something halfway between a regular squat and a hack squat (a squat done with the bar held behind your hamstrings, which puts more emphasis on your quads and less on your glutes), or else to somehow get the DBs up to your shoulders (ie. clean them). This second option might make it easier to ditch the lift (although if you’re properly using a power rack, the lift should be reasonably easy to ditch anyway), but it will make it MUCH more difficult to begin the lift in the first place as you won’t just be able to step under the bar and get it on your back.

Also, I believe I read an interview with Dave Tate in which he claimed that part of the full-body benefit of the BB squat (and also the reason it so taxes your body’s recovery abilities) is that the weight is pretty much resting on your spine.

ok thanks. I figure I would ask before I worked out. I have never really squatted much before. I did a little here and a little there, but nothing serious. What should I start with…any reccomenations?

Start with an empty bar until you are comfortable and have proper form down.

Go with the bar as others have stated. The only time I would recommend dumbells is if one were elderly, injured, or very weak.

A spotter isn’t needed unless one were going very, very, heavy.

D