DB Leg Curls

So i joined a “fitness club” i never usually pay for such a membership and now i know why…

Training yesterday, i was already pissed about the lack of spare plates - then i found there to be nothing but a seated leg curl - so no lying, and no standing!

I had done my SLDL and GM’s and wanted lying leg curls… pissed man.

So i climbed prone onto a decline abs bench, with my head at the high end. I fixed my arms around the leg attachments really secure and proceeded to do leg curls with a DB.

I was blown away. With the machine, i found i tired very quickly towards the top of the movement where the weight is still static but the position of the body is highly disadvantaged… So by the second set, i drastically needed to lower the weight to maintain reps. More so with this exercise than any other.

This is all well and good but… with the DB’s i found the lower portion very tough, and the upper portion - still doing something - but easier. It really allowed me to fry my hams in a way i never have. It is very hard after so many years to get a new exercise that has direct bodybuilding advantages… but i AM pleased.

It is my new hammie exercise, and i love it. Add 2-3 sets of it to your other ham work and see.

:wink:

JJ, thanks for the tip. Even though isolation work is not my focus at this point, it is always refreshing to hear about this kind of pioneering. I fully intend on trying this next week.

Did you allow the DB to contact the group between reps to discharge the tension in your body (like something a powerlifter would do on a deadlift)? Or did you maintain the TUT principle and keep it suspended the whole time? Or both?

A little of both actually… a very slight touch on the floor - totally keeping contact, but getting full ROM.

I didnt raise it all the way up (for one i had no spotter) to 90 degrees on the knee or anything… probably a little past 45 - say a guess-timate at 60 degrees, this ensured i got a real intense contraction throughout. i was using a 25kg DB (55lbs or so) and getting a good 10-12… so next time i shall use a 30 or 35 to get a few sets of 4-6 reps.

J