DB Hammer

Does anyone read DB Hammer’s stuff and/or have any knowledge of/experience with his methods?

If not, does anyone that reads his work have any idea what the fuck he is talking about? He is tough to follow…

His articles are sometimes a bit hard to follow because of his consistent use of abbreviations.
He uses a form of auto regulating training.
I incorporate a lot of his concepts into my athletes training plans, I find that his methods are very effective. Reread his articles and take what can benefit your training.

I think that you can take a little something from everyone even if you disagree on almost everything. With that being said you first have to know what the hell the person is talking about and a biblioraphy would be helpful. Maybe even a little table telling you what abbreviations and such means. I like cocky people to a certain extent but if you call your book “The Best Sports Training Book Ever” or whatever it is called it probably means your a dumbass. Dont waste your time!

I have found his form of autoregulating training to work well.

barbender242

1. He does outline the abreviations in the Q+A s and in the book.
  2. The books name is The Sports Book! The Sub title is: Best Training Ever. When written vertically and put next to eachother it reads what you thought it did… Pretty clever in my opinion! If you dont even know the title of the book perhaps you shouldnt be comenting

I have had excellent results incorporating his methods and techniques. Atleast comparable to when I was training westside style.

Man, I did not mean for it to sound like I was bashing him or anything. Like I said, I think you can find helpful information from everyone. I was just trying to say that his book is good because people can have conversations about it, but it is not the Holy Grail of strength training. I have been told by many others that the book is good but their money could have been better spent somewhere else.

Its an opinion, and a comment. Now lets move on!

Dietrich has always told me; “Don’t go to your history teacher to learn math.” I have the utmost respect for DB…and consequently I don’t want to attempt to speak in his place. But if you have any questions I’ll do my best to answer them.

Peace,
Brad

I think kelly baggett’s website had an introductory article on AutoReg Training. You might wanna check that out www.higher-faster-sports.com

Barbender I apologise I obviously mis interpreted your post!

Im sorry about that.

You are correct. Even DB has stated that the Q+A section will make the book obsolete soon…

D-bub yeah good advice. Read the kelly baggett article…

Also read all the q+a’s. He’s pretty good with replying to any questions you have so dont be afraid to ask him.

Also I’m more than willing to answer any questions. Im no expert but I think my understanding of the basics is fine.

I just checked to make sure it was there at kelly’s site… but i think it is amongst the articles at inno-sport

Kelly wrote it…

[quote]Nuttall wrote:
Dietrich has always told me; “Don’t go to your history teacher to learn math.” I have the utmost respect for DB…and consequently I don’t want to attempt to speak in his place. But if you have any questions I’ll do my best to answer them.

Peace,
Brad[/quote]

Is this guy for real, or is he really Jay Shroeder? Have you ever actually talked to this jay?

[quote]bobbyt wrote:

Is this guy for real, or is he really Jay Shroeder? Have you ever actually talked to this jay?[/quote]

This kills me everytime someone assumes Jay and DB are one in the same. If you look into their systems you will quickly find they share very little aspects in common. But no one is doing that just going on bad second hand information. Having trained with both Jay (in person) and DB I can assure that they are not even close (i.e. programming, methodics…).

Those that are second guessing DB are not even exploring his writing (new and old) as well as going to his site or how about this email him. Address is available on his site.

Jeremy

I have worked with Dietrich but I have only heard what Jay does through what limited information is available. I’d recommend you contact them both and find out for yourself.

Again, I don’t know much about Jay’s system but I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have about DB’s system.

[quote]jrdthreed wrote:
bobbyt wrote:

Is this guy for real, or is he really Jay Shroeder? Have you ever actually talked to this jay?

This kills me everytime someone assumes Jay and DB are one in the same. If you look into their systems you will quickly find they share very little aspects in common. But no one is doing that just going on bad second hand information. Having trained with both Jay (in person) and DB I can assure that they are not even close (i.e. programming, methodics…).

Those that are second guessing DB are not even exploring his writing (new and old) as well as going to his site or how about this email him. Address is available on his site.

Jeremy

[/quote]

This Jeremy Diamond?

[quote]jrdthreed wrote:
bobbyt wrote:

Jeremy

[/quote]

I am not trying to be a smart ass, however why is this guy so mystical? I am always incredulous when a notable trainer claims to train a multitude of elite athletes yet provides no references. DB Hammer is not the only guy in this category. Given his esoteric verbiage, nomenclature, etc. why would anybody take this guy seriously? Who is he? Forget about e-mail communication, how about face-to-face communication? Even a phone conversation

This stuff that db writes about is very complex but when you take the time to grasp it fully it is totally logical. I reccomend his ideas to anyone that wants to truly improve performance and not just pretend they’re doing everything they can to improve. The effort it takes to digest the material will pay off in a greater understanding of how to manipulate your training to achieve any goal you have. There is an intro article on the website written by Kelly Bagget that is fantastic.

It is worth the effort!!!

jsal33

I was fortunate enough to train with him for about 6 months at his compound. Even though I saw a lot of freaky stuff (based on “US” training standard) the thing that stands out the most in my mind now is how down to earth and reserved he was. He defines the word humble. If I had the athletes he had at his facility and the coaches and athletes emailing him and calling him for assistance that he had (and probably still has)…I wouldn’t be able to keep my mouth shut! I remember asking him if he had any idea how much money he could make if he came to the States and marketed himself properly. He always replied that I was selling him on my dream, not his…he only cared about helping athletes and coaches become the best they can be. He treated everyone at his compoound the same way- it didn’t matter if you were already at the top of your game or if you had dreams to someday make something of yourself. His thing was not only about helping the athlete but protecting them as well…not selling his athletes names to sell himself. But if you’re going to knock a guy who prefers to stay under the radar yet help every single athlete achieve their true potential then I don’t think you’ll benefit too much from these discussions.

I don’t mean to come off as an asshole…I’m only saying that the reason you haven’t given his stuff a chance (he doesn’t ramble off names) is one of the biggest reasons I respect him. He is literally one of the hardest working yet least money-hungry individuals I have ever met in my life.

I strongly support the previous post; ‘the journey is well worth the effort.’

Peace,
Brad

Brad,
a couple of questions.

1. Do you have any idea how DB would go about training a complete newbie. They couldn;t start with many of his “advanced” methods. What would a beginning phase look like?

2. He doesn’t seem to operate from a typical bodypart template. At times things like the posterior chain seem to be neglected. Any Idea why? What would a good general split look like, to build from?