T Nation

DB Flyes

started doing flyes recently to supplement my bench (ya go figure, i never really entertained them before), and something really fucking dicey is going on.

i’m not feeling it in my chest. at all. i’m feeling it all in my lats.

^ click the link to see

what the fucks the matter?

Have someone watch you to make sure you’re doing it right. If your arms are angled toward your head then you’re doing some kind of fly/pull-over hybrid. I mean, there’s no way a correctly done fly should target the lats.

[quote]wfifer wrote:
Have someone watch you to make sure you’re doing it right. If your arms are angled toward your head then you’re doing some kind of fly/pull-over hybrid. I mean, there’s no way a correctly done fly should target the lats. [/quote]

Agreed. In addition, I highly recommend that any fly movements be done with cables. DB flies suck ass…

Your chest is probably strong and doesn’t care about the flyes.

Your lats are prob. strong too but never done this whacko movement and that is why you feel it.

You can definetely target your lats doing a pullover type movement, if your flyes are more like a pullover you will feel it.

No muscle is completely isolated, ever.

You should try doing a dumbell press, then lower the weight like a flye movement.

Also cables are better if you can set it up.

not that i do flyes much but maybe try the dumbell+cable version recommended on this site. so theres Tension in upper RoM too that way.

Try pulling your shoulders blades down and back while lying on the bench. Keep that posture for the whole movement. It might help.

yeahh good call on the pull-over theory, now that i think about it that seems to perfectly describe what i’m doing