T Nation

DB Bench Press, Supplementary Exercises?

So right now my incline bench press is stuck at a pathetic 60pounds for seven reps for the past two to three weeks. Any thoughts on some supplementary exercises to boost my incline bench press?

Right now I’m doing three main lifts per session (push, pull, legs) and I alternate this with high rep active recovery sessions.

Here’s an example:
Hammer grip chins 5x5
Trap bar deadlifts 5x5
Incline DB bench press 5x5

I change up the order of the lifts every time.
Even if I do the incline bench press first, I’m seem to get stuck at 7 reps with 60pounds.

I don’t think its a shoulder problem since I can do 55s for 4 clean reps.

Ideas?

Lower the weight, work back up to, and past, the 60 lb DBs over 2-3 weeks. Use another exercise. Try using microplates (1.25# magnet weights).

quit incline db pressing for 4 weeks and do DB shoulder presses or behind neck BB presses. If something stops gaining switch the lift and go back again later to see that it has progressed.

That or you could go to flat DB press. Or you could switch the reps and do 65-75+ for 7x3. Or switch to a heavy horizontal pulling lift. Do double pulls every odd day. The extra pulling almost always punches up your pressing.

you are not guaranteed progress sir. make good choices,

-chris

Time to switch it up then!

[quote]Avocado wrote:
quit incline db pressing for 4 weeks and do DB shoulder presses or behind neck BB presses. If something stops gaining switch the lift and go back again later to see that it has progressed.

That or you could go to flat DB press. Or you could switch the reps and do 65-75+ for 7x3. Or switch to a heavy horizontal pulling lift. Do double pulls every odd day. The extra pulling almost always punches up your pressing.

you are not guaranteed progress sir. make good choices,

-chris[/quote]

Agreed…I think military presses, seated presses, Arnold’s and the like really will boost your incline.

Also, a lot of people neglect the pulls (2 pulling ex. per one pushing). I have always broken plateaus when adding a little more back work.

And going heavy will always help, you maybe able to throw in some contrast sets with doubles and triples (80lb dumbbells) resting 2-3 mins and then switching to the 60’s.