DB Bench Forever?

IMO for me at least I feel the Most pumped and “feel” my chest more when I do DB bench ( Flat, Incline ). I almost always do BB decline cause its a pain to get the DB into position on the decline bench.

I always trained BB…well just to say o ya I can bench 350…but never liked doing it because I feel that my triceps take away too much from my chest. ( Narrower grip as opposed to wide). I know the grip has to do with it but that is how it feels natural to me

Now I am thinking I got 350 bench for 2 weeks in a row, now a decent amount of mass already been built, just completely giving up the BB bench. Except the decline.

I mean I don’t do pussy weight on DB 130’s for 7-8 on flat x3
DB 115’s for 6-8 on incline x3

What do you guys would think would happen if at this point I almost never used BB? Is it possible to build a NICE chest with sole DB press only? Adding of course I have made a solid foundation.

O ya flyes, dips etc are still on the plan of attack. Just no BB.

Yes it is.

Just look at the people doing dc

I go back and forth.

You get a much better stretch and mind muscle connection with DB’s.

But you can bench so much more when you dont have to try to hold 150 pounds in each hand.

BB for big weight, DB for connection.

I don’t know how high the DBs at your gym go, but at mine they go to 125. I know a couple guys who did DBs almost exclusively, but at some point had to get back to BB because the 125s were just not enough weight anymore.

I haven’t used a barbell for bench press in at least 6 years or more. I have also made the most progress on my chest after I quit doing them.

There is a reason most big bodybuilders are beginning to rely on dumbbells or even some machines for that movement.

I think the barbell has its place especially in the beginning. I also think way too many people glorify that one movement.

DB’s are better for me too as I am shoulder dominant. I use a supinated grip to use less shoulders and more chest (this might not work for some people, but my chest burns much more and my shoulders much less). I BB benched for a long time before realising the benefits of using dumbells- more stretch and better contraction as well as some extra stimulation from balancing the DB’s. Remember- more stretch before contracting a muscle forcefully, will activate more fibres.

Also I prefer to flare my elbows wide with the supinated grip for even better stretch and less tricep. Squeeze like hell at the top
PS: Doing DB flyes before DB Press is a brilliant way to get a huge pump in your chest or even supersetting them in a mechanical dropset manner. I think this might help if the DB’s in your gym are not heavy enough any more.

I’'l agree with ‘X’ in that I haven’t really relied on BB in years. Lately I may throw in a few sets of flat BB at the very end, using only a light weight, and doing a pump set (usuallu 1 and 1/2 rep style). I agree that DBs just ‘feel’ more natural, as far as the motion is concerned, and also as far as the feeling I get in my actual msucles.

Still, the decision to discard a particular movement is an individualized one. Some people can’t discard something no matter how unproductive (or even harmful) it may be for them simply because everyone else is using it.

S

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I haven’t used a barbell for bench press in at least 6 years or more. I have also made the most progress on my chest after I quit doing them.

There is a reason most big bodybuilders are beginning to rely on dumbbells or even some machines for that movement.

I think the barbell has its place especially in the beginning. I also think way too many people glorify that one movement.[/quote]

Btw x that laying down hammer strengh machine press you advocate for chest is amazing. i tried it for the last couple weeks and it hit my pecs twice as much as barbell.

I think the barbell has its place especially in the beginning. I also think way too many people glorify that one movement.[/quote]

Btw x that laying down hammer strengh machine press you advocate for chest is amazing. i tried it for the last couple weeks and it hit my pecs twice as much as barbell.

[quote]crod266 wrote:
Professor X wrote:

I think the barbell has its place especially in the beginning. I also think way too many people glorify that one movement.

Btw x that laying down hammer strengh machine press you advocate for chest is amazing. i tried it for the last couple weeks and it hit my pecs twice as much as barbell.[/quote]

It also isn’t counterweighted which means you are doing that weight in reality. Even the Hammer strength machines that are counterweighted only take between 5-10lbs away from the weight used.

Between that one and their incline, if you want a really big strong chest, adding them in would be a good idea.

crod266 wrote:
Professor X wrote:

It also isn’t counterweighted which means you are doing that weight in reality. Even the Hammer strength machines that are counterweighted only take between 5-10lbs away from the weight used.

Between that one and their incline, if you want a really big strong chest, adding them in would be a good idea.[/quote]

isnt that the truth

Well do you guys think you can get that dense look to your chest w/o BB? IMO I prefer DB but just holding the heavier DB and getting them into position take half the energy.

[quote]Cron391 wrote:
Well do you guys think you can get that dense look to your chest w/o BB? IMO I prefer DB but just holding the heavier DB and getting them into position take half the energy. [/quote]

I’ve posted my pics before. From what I hear, my chest isn’t lacking at the moment.

As far as the energy to get them in position, that is why I moved to HS machines, but I would not recommend someone who isn’t more advanced center their chest training around mostly machines.

I don’t consider myself “advanced” yet, not even close actually and I have actually been centering my chest workouts around HS incline, HS wide, cable X-over, and pec-deck for the last couple months and been making better progress/gains in my chest size than ever before. When I was always doing BB bench my chest was a definite weak point (shoulder/tri dominant), now it is definitely starting to catch up with the rest of me and I have received many compliments from people noticing that my chest is getting bigger.

I should also clarify that my gym only has DBs up to 100lbs…which is one reason I went to HS rather than to DBs.

I’ve personally never liked a lot of DB work. In addition to the struggles to even getting into position I find them much less consistent than BBs.

Sometimes when I do DB work, it ends up all on my tris, other times chest. It really has to do with how far to the side of your body you press the weight.

That variable isn�??t a locked in position with DBs. With a barbell, you set your grip width before you start and it never moves. I just think you can more exactly control the focus with a BB because it eliminates some variables.

Even for things like flies my elbow angle tends to vary from workout to workout, so I generally do machines they are more consistent and easier to track progress.

Hmm interesting X I will try the HS machines. Funny thing is I use to use those when I started…4 years ago. I haven’t used them AT all for the pat 3 years.

I assume you guys don’t lockout your elbows at the top of the press?

Do what works for you. I used DB exclusively for over a year. built my chest up quite nice. allthough, I dont think it builds near as much raw stegth as BB does. I think it targets the chest better for shape. altleat for me anyway.

Ronnie was a big fan-think he was on to something

I never barbell bench. I use a combination of dumbbells, dips and the incline HS press (you can use more weight than even the barbell).

[quote]Cprimero wrote:
Ronnie was a big fan-think he was on to something[/quote]

Yeah, some might consider his chest development “okay”

S