Day 1 of 30-10-30:mht log

So today I tried my first 30 10 30 workout. Not really knowing what weight to use I just guessed what 80% of my usual rep weight was and started with that . I usually stopped the 10 rep part around 7 or 8 reps so as to leave at least two reps in the tank , or so I thought ? It was pretty funny how little weight I was using on some movements but it reminded me of the times I was at a muscle head gym and using 5 or 10 pound dumbbells for laterals ( which looked pathetic) but I knew it was working the delts better than those who threw up 30 pound dumbbells! The worst part was when I found I could really feel the chain clunks when going slow on the 30 second parts. A friction or chain free machine would be better for that part. Now Iā€™m not getting that pumped up feeling I would get with 2 sets of 20-15 reps but I donā€™t know how important that feeling really is as far as promoting growth? I felt half as tired when I finished compared to my usual 2 sets of 8ā€“15 rep sets. It was like I was just warming up for the big event to come and Iā€™m thinking thatā€™s good!
I skipped my crazy negative chin efforts today to see how this 30 10 30 workout feels the next day. Those chin efforts can really be draining just by themselves!
Scott

I have used 30/10/30 for my last 2 workouts and I am very impressed. It will take a few more sessions to perfect it but I can feel a strong stimulus. It feels very easy on my 56 year old joints too. I also noticed after Saturdays workout I just felt pleasantly tired around bedtime rather than drained and irritable like was when I pushed the same workout to failure with heavier weight.

johny,

What you have felt after those two 30-10-30 workouts is exactly what the doctor ordered. Hip, hip, hurray!

3 Likes

Thanks for that and I think this is exactly what I need to continue to train into my mature years.

===Scott==.
I find it interesting how many say they are irritable and drained after a workout. I generally feel better after a workout and the stress relief had during the workout makes me less irritable than I might be otherwise. Occasionally I would do way too much like a few workouts ago where I did to many negative chins and dips etc and I felt drained for a while but that would go way in a hour or so.

1 Like

Iā€™m with Scott.
In the immediate aftermath of a workout iā€™m spent. But within 30 minutes i am pretty much (not 100% though) back to normal.
Once I sit down and relax I usually get a nice sense of fatigue and stress relief.

Mark

Really? Iā€™m usually knackered for the rest of the day - but then Iā€™m oldā€¦ and at least 30% bodyfat :rofl:

1 Like

Possibly my former years of running, swimming and cycling have a little spill over that helps me recover fairly quickly ? It seems if Iā€™m dragging after a workout I most likely did to much or pushed to hard. I think this 30 10 30 should help with those of us who try to push the envelope to much?
Scott

The thing that make me irritable is dietingā€¦ If I get into a calorie deficit, and stick with it a few days, I will start to become pretty irritable in the morning, before I get breakfast.

Workouts generally leave me with a pleasant feeling of fatigue. (Doing a rush factor workout, which I almost never do any more, will produce a more acute and immediate level of fatigue.) Depending on how much volume Iā€™ve done, I may feel like taking a nap later on. Of course, if Iā€™ve done a lot of eccentric work, or to failure training, I tend to be more sore the next day or twoā€¦

Overall, as Iā€™ve gotten older, the approach of training very intensely, and infrequently works less well than it used to. These days, Iā€™d rather train with less intensity and more frequently, because I feel better more of the time, i.e., less severe workout hangovers, if you willā€¦

1 Like

I train at night, so its eat and relax (excluding the 20 visits to the toilet !! :rofl:)

Mark

1 Like

Day 2
This workout went much better though it was still very demanding.
Incline press 185/30.8.30
Supinated pulldowns 180/30.8.30
Smith overhead press 150/30.7.25. This was very difficult. The second eccentric I could not hold it the 30 s
V bar pulldowns 180/30.6.20 probably too heavy very demanding
At this point my heart rate was 160 bpm
Still feeling pretty good and can tell the lower loads made a difference.
Dips body weight /30.6.20. In the second eccentric I literally failed here. I still felt good at this point.
Preacher curls 75/30.8.25.
Hammer strength horizontal leg press 490/30.8.20
This exercise was brutal the second eccentric I couldnā€™t hold for the whole 30 s
I stood up and my right quad spasmed I sat down for 10 minutes stretching and it went away. Heart rate reached 170 ish after this exercise, I am 49 so this has to be close to max. I have done several
Vo2 max tests over they years and have never been able to achieve heart rates this high during those cv tests.
One legged standing calf raise 90/8. 2-2 tempo
Completed the workout in about 35 minutes. I was taking about 3 -4 minute tests between sets.
All in all this was much better than last week. I felt like I am actually adapting to the workload and cardiovascular conditioning of having sets that last 75-90 s.
One thing I did during the pulldowns and pressing movements was following the normal reps and right before the last eccentric I would adjust my hands on the bar by racking the weight for a half second or so.
I feel like this was a good day 2 and the load was much better on most exercises.

I took some skinfold measurements this week to give me some data on my beginning body fat and lean mass and will reassess after 6-8 weeks.
However I am not going to be dieting.

I may add a day of cardiovascular training per week. I am not so sure about only having one day per week of exercise considering my overall health that is good.

Please forgive any grammatical or spelling issues I am doing this from my phone :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What you have described sounds to me like you are very much in the range of achieving good results. Keep going.

1 Like

@mht, no matter the age, one can always benefit from cardiovascular work. You were ā€œvery anaerobicā€ in HS but that was greater than 30 years ago! Whatā€™s the point in having healthy looking skeletal muscle when your most important muscle is in poor shape? Antidotally, Iā€™m 56, and by walking 2 miles, 3 days per week, have reduced RHR from 58 to 49 BPM in 5 months. That was the only change I made.
Something to chew on.

1 Like

Hi believer. Yes I am going to work on some extra movement throughout the week. I am actually going to attempt to lose some body fat but not diet to much. My wife would like to go walking few miles per day and that is a great idea.

On another note I feel much better today than I did at week at this time. I look forward to next Friday and see how much more I can improve.

Iā€™m currently lifting 2 days a week:
Wednesday - chest , back and shoulders
Saturday - biceps, triceps, forearms, legs

I completed my first week 30-10-30 but I think I need to just lift one day a week full bodyā€¦this is a very demanding programā€¦at age 58 my recovery isnā€™t as good as when I was young

1 Like

Hi Bob.
I thought about splitting the workout into two sessions per week but decided against it. From the first workout it took me about 3-4 days to feel like i may be able to workout again. I did feel 100 percent ready for the workout after the 7 days of rest and at this point I do think that may be the best choice for me.
Today I am quite sore across all major muscle groups from yesterdayā€™s workout and I suspect that will continue until Monday or Tuesday of next week.
I do think this is a unique workout that sill hopefully result in more muscle mass.

Hi mht,

During my previous trials of 30-10-30 I started out twice weekly in a similar routine as yours. After a couple of weeks I felt overtrained and shifted to a session every fourth day. Worked better. Had I continued, I would have chosen an every fifth day approach. Bearing in mind, I never tried once weekly.

Best of luck!

Is 30-10-30 only meant to be temporary? Like maybe do a month or so and then go back to conventional training? Maybe long term it could lead to overtraining for someā€¦Iā€™ll say this: my back workout this past Wednesday 3 days ago my lats are still sore and pumped outā€¦I did the negative program on pull ups, pulldowns, seated cable rows but may done too much ending with a conventional set of Nautilus pullovers

Hi Pettersson.
I am going to stick with the once per week setup for now. I do think this is something I will continue for at least 6-8 weeks. The seven days of recovery were needed for me. By day 7 I was ready and willing to go hard at the session but i donā€™t think i could do this twice per week perhaps if I split the work out in half but certainly not adding in a lot of exercises.
One other note of interest that first workout took me 48 minutes and this weeks I was able to complete in 35 minted of course I did lighten the load by about 20%. This is a fun experiment.

Hi Bob. That seems like a lot of back work especially considering the time a muscle is under tension. I am going to give my program a good 6-8 weeks and see how things go. I do want to add in one exercise for the posterior chain but at this point I donā€™t want to add in much due to the severity of the program.