David to Goliath

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
Doyle wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks its a joke that he is calling himself a hardgainer? He may have more trouble then some other successfull bodybuilders but he obviously is able to put on large amounts of muscle.

Hey, everybody loves an underdog[/quote]

You have to consider the context in which he is thinking. I may say my genetics for calves sucks…and they do for bodybuilding…but for the average person they are probably bigger than average.

Compared to a Ronnie Coleman, yes, he is a hard gainer. Compared to the average guy on this site with 15" arms, he is gifted.

Bodybuilders in the 90’s were notorious for using that word any time they felt they couldn’t be the biggest out of everyone else.

Guys who get that big do NOT compare themselves to average people. They compare themselves to other guys built like them.

I personally could care less what the average person is built like. When I speak, I am relating my own development to those I look up to or those I might be on the same level as.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Bloobird wrote:
SSC wrote:
Hmmm… I wonder who David Henry is trained by… and what kind of nutritional philosophies he follows?

I bet he does straight sets.

I’m pretty sure that David Henry is a DC trainee, I could be wrong though…

SCC knows, his post wasn’t serious…
[/quote]

Oh woops, I fail at posting in the bodybuilding section :frowning:

When do you think would be the best days to have the high calorie days? rest days or on lagging bodypart days?
whats your guys opinions?

You be the judge!

I’m an endomorph…but I’d rather be a hardgainer.

The grass is always greener on the other side I guess.

His eating theory is interesting. His arms look insane, better than i’ve ever seen him

[quote]pro-a-ggression wrote:
Thought this was interesting…

How David became Goliath: David Henry adds quality muscle with two superhigh-calorie days per week

David Henry’s pro debut at the 2004 Ironman Pro Invitational should leave no doubt that smaller bodybuilders can grow into top pros. Henry earned his pro card at the NPC Nationals in November 2002 at a bodyweight of 167. Fifteen months later, he was a ripped 190 at the Ironman, where he finished sixth behind five bodybuilders who all have at least one Olympia appearance under their belts.

“I’m a hardgainer, so finding the right nutrition strategy was the key to adding mass,” Henry says. He also says that his diet strategy will work for other hardgainers. The key to Henry’s success? “Every weekend, I eat nearly 7,000 calories a day. On weekdays, I follow a basic bodybuilding diet of about 3,000 to 4,000 calories a day.”

Doubling the amount of calories gives Henry’s body an overload of energy, helping it to grow without adding excess bodyfat. “When I compete, I’m at around 3% bodyfat, but when I was trying to grow in the offseason, I only went up to about 7%. That’s still pretty low, but I was able to add more than 20 pounds of muscle in a little over a year.” He attributes this to the metabolic confusion that the high-calorie days create. When you change up the amount of calories you normally consume, your body burns bodyfat more effectively while adding muscle mass.

Henry says that the quantity of calories consumed is every bit as important as the quality, especially for hardgainers. “Guys who have trouble adding size are often eating only chicken breast, yams and broccoli, and it’s hard to get in enough calories to really grow. If that’s what you’re doing and you’re not adding the muscle you want, then you need to make some adjustments.”

He adds that it’s important to take in at least a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight each day, on both high- and moderate-calorie days. On high-calorie days, include some cheat foods to make certain you hit your caloric target. “I’m not saying you should eat Twinkies, but you can eat foods like burgers and pizza on high-calorie days. These foods have plenty of protein and the calories you need to pack on quality size.”

If you’re a hardgainer who wants to grow and stay lean, try adapting Henry’s plan to your own needs. For five days a week, eat up to 10% more calories than you require for maintenance. For example, if you need 3,000 calories a day to maintain your current weight, try to get in 3,300 a day, making sure that you consume at least a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight.

On the weekends, increase caloric intake to about double what you need for maintenance (6,000 in this example). Try this for about eight weeks, and see how your body responds. If you’re adding too much bodyfat, scale back your daily calorie consumption and include a couple of moderate cardio sessions a week.

BY STEVE STIEFEL
[/quote]

I gotta say something here, don’t get me wrong I love Henry too, but do you think he just learnt about calorie overloading when he won his pro card?

“The key to Henry’s success?” “Every weekend, I eat nearly 7,000 calories a day”

laughable

He won his pro card and altered his drug regime to add those 20+ pounds, after all he started earning more money from his sport after his card hence he could pump more dollars back into it.(no pun intended)

Not bashing gear or the pro’s that use it, not by any means, after all I’m a big fan of bb’ing. Just not media/marketing bullshit.

Remember Ronnie downing the Nitrix pills before his training and saying “this is how I make my massive size and strength gains”…

Shut the f**k up.

I’m not a fan of gear, and won’t use it personally, saying that so you know where I’m coming from… I can also ruin a potential career by getting caught using a controlled substance without a prescription, and I’m big as hell without.

Steroids don’t make muscle out of thin air. You still have to eat, and you still have to do work with the weights. All steroids do are modify and amplify endogenous metabolic pathways.