T Nation

David Sedaris?

Anyone read anything by him?

I’ve started reading one of his books because a friend recommended it and it seems like a lot of his humor is just gay innuendo. It isn’t funny, and a lot of it actually makes me feel like throwing up.

Why is he so popular? What kind of audience seriously likes this type of writing?

I’d like to hear your opinions about this…

[quote]smallmike wrote:
Why is he so popular? [/quote]

Who the hell is David Sedaris?

I’ve read 3 of his books and I must say that he is a fantastic writer with a ton of humorous material.

The gay innuendo probably has something to do with the fact that he is, indeed, gay.

If one is comfortable enough with one’s sexuality, I wouldn’t think it’d be much of a bother…

What book are you reading? What don’t you like about it? What do you like about it?

-Nate

Your friend recommended you read David Sedaris even though gay innuendo makes you want to throw up? Sounds like your friend is either a jerk or doesn’t know you too well… maybe he’s just trying to help you expand your worldview (or trying to tell you something?).

Anyway, I don’t always love Sedaris, but have you ever heard him read his stuff on NPR? You can probably find clips in their archives. I almost pissed myself when I heard him read “Santaland Diaries.” Now whenever I read something by him I hear his voice in my head – definitely makes it funnier.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
smallmike wrote:
Why is he so popular?

Who the hell is David Sedaris?
[/quote]

Here’s one of his stories that was posted in the New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?030616fa_fact

-Nate

I have read 3 of his books, and have 2 more to go. They are all sets of short stories. The 3 I read are more or less autobiographical, the one I am reading now, Barrel Fever seems to just be fiction. Its not as good.

The author is from Raleigh, NC and I have lived here for 20 years. That is in part why I find him interesting, is that every thing is set in my town. Kind of like watching a movie that is filmed where you live. More entertaining that way.

He has an interesting sense of humor, and reveals a lot about his himself and difficulties he overcame, speech impediments, obsessive complusive disorder, ect… He also covers his homosexuality, but does not ask the reader to feel sorry for him or approve of his behavior. Just tells the truth about himself.

Some of his stuff is ok but his other stuff is pretty damn good. You can tell he writes with his voice. He’s gay; what did you expect his writings to come across as if he’s writing about his experiences and using his voice?

I started reading “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas” the other day, but had to stop when I realized they were [gasp] using drugs. I’ve now decided to burn any copy I see…