Davemccright's Dangerous Dave’s Diabolical Log for Density and Destruction

Really got an awesome pump in today. 42 minute session before a campfire with my wife and sister-in-law. Finally checked my weight and measurements again today. Weight is down to 219, waist is down from 35” to 33.25” and my bicep was actually up from 18” cold to just over 18”, almost 18.25”! This training cycle and cut have been going extremely well. Abs and obliques are really coming back with a vengeance. Bicep veins at rest are also starting to return, as well as forearm veins.

Excited to see where I end up by the end of Creeping Death II! Maybe Gamma Bomb after this? I’m open to suggestions!

3 Likes

Depends, you still going to be cutting at that point?

Maybe it doesn’t matter that much, I’ve been in a deficit and still enjoying JPs stuff a lot. I like PPL the most because of recoverability reasons, but if your recovery factors are on point, upper/lower or even full body would be great.

1 Like

The descriptions of this workout made me smile. Sounds like a fun night at the gym. Quality

1 Like

Great work going on in here. I just realised you missed an opportunity for ultimate alliteration, this could be “Dangerous Daves Diabolical DIARY of Density and Destruction”

2 Likes

That’s very appropriate! And this really is more like a Diary than just a log haha I really share all my innermost feelings and machinations towards my training experiences. Thank you for the inspiration!

@Andrewgen_Receptors that’s a great suggestion! That’s definitely a program I plan on doing soon. That’s certainly a style of training that resonates with me. I’m not sure whether I’ll still be cutting or maintaining or back to the bulk by then.

@simo74 thanks man! It was truly an amazing leg day looking back on it, even if I was cursing it in the moment!

3 Likes

Really strong day in the gym today! Actually hit a bench PR today. 280 for 5x5! I probably could’ve gotten 285! Felt awesome to hit that after taking some time off from flat bench! Following that up with dips and stretch pushups to failure was super brutal and definitely was the perfect finisher for the chest portion of this day! My shoulders and triceps did not have a ton of juice in the tank to finish this day off, but I got through the work and had an amazing pump as I triumphantly marched forth to the rest of my day!

And a quick physique update to go with the weight and measurement updates from my last post!

6 Likes

stop it mate, just stop it…LOL

1 Like

So massive

2 Likes

@simo74 @tlgains you guys are too kind! I always appreciate the support!

Road to natty mass monster!

To say that this session was brutally intense would be such a massive understatement! My Apple Watch says that I burned 1,000 calories in that session, and while that may be inaccurate, it certainly felt like it. The rack Pulls were so punishing!! I’m not sure why, but it felt way harder than regular deadlifts. Maybe the slightly different angle and ring very hard to control the negative to not warp the safeties on the rack. Either way, it got my heart rate up to 168 and that was basically maintained throughout each set. The isolation work felt more brutal than usual and even the bicep work felt absolutely punishing. Rack pulls really make everything worse lol

6 Likes

Another balls to the wall session today. Garage was hot and I had so much fluid in my stomach I thought I was going to puke at several points but I gutted it out. No hack Squats today, so from that perspective I was spared! Seriously, if you’ve never done Barbell Hack Squats before, give them a shot… and then do a drop set of death on your first day ever trying them! I still had residual soreness from last week’s leg day going into this session. They’re that brutal!

Barbell Lunges are a bit easier, mostly because I’ve done them before and the movement pattern isn’t totally foreign to me. However, done immediately following squats like I did today let me in complete misery. Excited for a rest day tomorrow and celebrating my wife’s birthday!

For those wondering about my diet strategy, beefy peri-workout nutrition including usually a meal about an hour before of Stan Efferding’s Monster Mash OR a double scoop protein shake with 1% milk, and then 30 minutes Pre, I do a scoop of Gorilla Mode Pre-Workout and either a scoop of Karbolyn or I will do intra-workout Surge, just depending on my mood. Then post workout, I’ll have another double scoop protein shake and creatine. Dinner is usually a big substantial meal as well. Other than that, I mostly just eat small things the rest of the day, usually a protein shake or 3 eggs and then 3 Twizzlers while watching shows in bed with the wife before sleep. Pretty simple and easy to keep at 2k calories or less!

6 Likes

Great work in here as always… and looking thicc as I believe the internet would have me say.

Reminds me of the Jim Wendler article how rack pulls are the answer to everything haha

2 Likes

Thanks man! Appreciate the internet lingo! Lol

And as a rule, if Jim says it, I agree with it! The dude gets me

1 Like

Ahhh it’s a satire piece by Jim: The Magic of the Pin Pull - Elite FTS | EliteFTS
Worth the read.

Not knocking them, just made me laugh when I thought back to it.

1 Like

Absolutely awesome Session today. Nothing crazy physically demanding like the main sessions have been this week but just a completely sick back and biceps pump. I even got an ab pump at the end. Is that normal? The stronger my abs get, and as their work capacity improves I’m just able to bust out a ton of these rope(band) crunches and the pump is quite noticeable. Ab hypertrophy is cool. Now that the work is over, I’m going to enjoy my wife’s birthday with her! Peace!

5 Likes

Did not sleep the best last night. Felt very tired and run down going into this session. However, once I got into it, I was all business. The workout went perfectly and I actually amazed myself on Bench, getting 2 sets of 10 with 265. I remember going to failure getting 4 reps with 265 last December. Just always trying to push forward and being better than the me of yesterday.

Pre-Workout Motivation/Education:

3 Likes

Funny how all these great bodybuilders used heaps of reps and volume to build their chest and surprisingly were strong AF.

1 Like

Very true! I guess it fits the adage that a bigger muscle is a stronger muscle, even in the absence of training with strength sport specificity in mind

Definitely. it doesn’t really matter what rep range, exercise order or program you use. If you just keep adding weight to the bar and keep getting bigger, you will get stronger. Seems so simple.

1 Like

Back to the gym after an amazing and romantic 2 day getaway with my wife. Really could not have been blessed with a better time or a better wife!

Heavy Pull Day today! You know it’s a good session when you’re hit with a brutal migraine afterwards. I’m mostly on the other side of it now, but oh boy that was a hell of a session. Rack pulls felt much much better today. More used to the movement now and able to have better command over my body during the lift. Just didn’t sleep the best the night before and when I pair that with a really intense session, I tend to get a migraine. I was really zapped after I got through about half of my leg raise sets, but I’ve always got gas in the tank to train biceps so it was really no trouble. Heavy Pull days are maybe the most taxing sessions of this program, I’m quickly learning. The heavy leg days are definitely the most painful, but my Apple Watch always says I burn the most calories on these Pull sessions. They usually run about 1 hour 15 minutes, so I’m sure that contributes. Take-home from today’s session: I lifted heavy, I lifted hard and I got a crazy pump.

4 Likes

Well another push day in the books. I really make it no secret that Push day is my favorite session. Especially when we go heavy and I get to push Bench hard.

I’m amazed at how my Bench and Incline have continued to progress during this program in spite of the fact that I’ve been cutting through the duration of it. It reminds me of something @T3hPwnisher said about how Bodybuilding style training seemed to progress his Bench the best. I hit an easy potentiation rep with 315 before starting the main sets. I had the option of going with my 5x5 weight from last week and either going for 6 reps or 7. Being the man I am, I had to go for 7. No question. I managed to own every rep too.

I am having such a blast with Mountain Dog training. Glad to still have 6 weeks left with this program!

Also I only have a couple of pages left before my lifting journal that I’ve been using since the Summer of 2020 is completely filled. It’s kind of bittersweet, as I have so many great memories logged in here. I’ll share my first page here from June 2020, before I even signed up with T-Nation. You can really see how far I’ve come since that time. The beauty of the log book.

7 Likes