Dat Puffy-MuscleBrah (How I Train)

Not that I feel like I’m impressive enough to deserve one of these yet. But questions were asked and that last thread was just a mess. So here is a new thread about how you too can look like a big ass jigglypuffBRAH.

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:
sort of bummed that paulie never actually wrote about his path.

One thing in particular I noticed is that Paulie let himself get very heavy before cutting down. Paulie, do you now endorse that? How heavy did you get? What made you decide to cut when you did??[/quote]

LOL, man my heaviest was 255.
Really fat, I don’t even have any pictures of me at that weight but I’ll upload one of me around 246, I had to have been close to if not at 30% but I’ll let you guys be the judge of that.

I still have a ways to go. I’m at 213-214 now and my coach IFPA PRO RJ perkins wants me at 200 at or before FEB which will be my one year mark for cutting.

I don’t know yet if I want to stop around 10-12% or just get shredded.

But I supose you wanna hear about the PATH to obesity.

I didn’t know much about lifting or eating so beyond newb gains I had really crappy results for my first 1 1/2 years.

But one day something just clicked, I woke up and I don’t really know why, but I started drinking protein shakes every two hours between meals and really trying to get atleast 7 hours of sleep a night and my progress was sick.
After about 2-3 months people around me accused me of juicing (not because I was so big, but because I made progress so fast).

Well at the time still being pretty new to lifting I was like FUARK man MORE FOOD MORE GAINS.
This lead to approximately 2-3 years of permabulking give or take.

But eventually the gains in muscle started becoming more and more significantly disproportionate and when I got my testosterone levels checked at like 260 ng/dl (estradiol was at like 48 cortisol was off the chain but this probably had more to do with being in the ARMY) that was the final straw I needed to make some changes.

Even though I haven’t had my hormone levels checked in a long time I feel 90% better these days.

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:
What does your week look like regarding exercise selection? If you’re (essentially) just doing compound movements, does that mean you’re only doing like 3 or 4 exercises per workout?[/quote]

Will post about this soon, I’ll post my very first routine and then my 2 favorite past routines and my current routine.

from 17 until 23

Started lifting at about 18 or 19

Got serious at about 20

First thought out routine. nothing special cycled reps between 5x5, 3x10, 4x8
every muscle had their own day and repeated every seven days

Chest/bicep
Flat bench
Incline bench
Decline bench
Sometimes did chest flys
1 tricep movement

Back/Bi
DB row with straps
Lat pulldown
Cable rows narrow grip
1 bicep movement, usually preacher curls or straight bar

Legs (skipped often, just didn’t care about legs like most newbs, plus running all the time in the army made legs gay)
Squats 5x5
leg press
Calf raises
leg extension
Hamstring curls

Shoulders (nothing crazy)
front and lateral raises
shrugs
every now and again I would do overhead press but it always messed with my shoulders

I got to 16.5 inch arms with the above.

eventually I stoped doing arms with chest and back and I gave arms their own day which I would purely do isolations as heavy as possible super setting between bi/tri (arms grew from 16.5 to 17.5 in less than 6 months)

ARMS
tricep
1 over head
1 verticle or standing
1 lying

bicep
straight bar
preacher
dumbbell

My favorite routine. MODOK inspired. (if you can remember that dude)

Gave me the most consistient gains I’ve ever had.
Over 8 weeks I went from benching 205 for 3x10 to 245 3x10 and from 245 for 5 to 275 for 5

I could never bring myself to workout like this again. Doing compound movments for two large muscle groups is just insane. Not to mention I supersetted antagonistic muscle groups the entire workout, many days I would want to throw up on chest/back/arms.

Day 1 - Chest/back/Arms

Flat bench press
Inline bench press
Wide grip vertical pull (lat pull down, weighted pull ups etc.)
Narrow grip horizonal pull (db row/machine row/cable row etc.)
superset arms
pjr pullover (skull crusher behind head)
barbell curl

Day 2 - Shoulders
Shrugs (6 sets)
Lateral Raise (3 sets db 3 sets machine or cable) (high reps 10-20 reps)
Bent over lateral raise or reverse pec deck (3-6 sets)
Front delt raise (3 sets)
(optional)Arnold press or high rep over-head press
** you can do arms on this day, but I couldnâ??t recover well so I quit doing arms on this day, if you do you should just do something light and minimal, donâ??t try to get a full arm workout**

Day 3 - OFF

Day 4 - Legs
Squat
deadlift (recommend stiff leg)
leg press
leg extension
hamstring curls
calf raises 6 sets

Day 5 - Chest/back/arms #2

Incline Bench Press
weighted dips (lean into it to hit the chest better)
Vertical pull
Horizontal pull
Triceps cable pushdown or overhead db triceps extension
preacher curl

Day 6 â?? OFF

Day 7 â?? OFF

Repeat

My adaptation for push/pull/legs
I felt like I progressed on this really fast but burned out really fast as well. But still a favorite that I will use again in the future.

Day 1 â?? Chest/tri

Flat bench press
Incline bench press
pjr pull over (skull crusher behind head)
overhead tricep extension or cable tricep extensions

Day 2 â?? back

Vertical Pull
horizontal pull
Barbell or hammer curl
dumbbell or preacher curl

Day 3 - Legs/shoulders

Squat 5x5
Deadlift or leg press 5x5 or leg extension and hamstring curl 3x10
shrugs 6 sets
lateral raise 3 sets db 3 sets machine
bent over lateral raise, single arm 3 sets
Front delt raise

Day 4 â?? OFF

Day 5 â?? Repeat

I wana know how u got small!

current routine (repeat every 6 days rather than 7)

Day 1 â?? chest/bi

Flat db bench â??( focus on moving weight still do 3x10 (long breaks 3 minutes between sets)

Incline db bench â?? lighter weight focus on form and squeezing the chest (1-2 minute breaks)

supper set
**decline hammer strength machine bench press (slow down, explosive to the top)
**machine or cable chest flys (lighter weight that you could do 20 reps with but make 10 hurt focus on squeezing the chest)
**start with flys do 10, run over to the decline machine do 10, that is one set 60 seconds or less between sets for 3 sets)
preacher curl hammer strength machine
Barbell curl
Strict form light weight incline bench db curl (like Kai Green does)

Day 2 â?? Shoulders

shrugs 6 sets
lateral raise, partial, medium and full complex. (video below) (1:10 mark in video)
lateral raise full range 3 sets
bent over lateral raise on a incline bench press 4-6 sets
barbell front delt raise 3 sets of 15

(1:10 mark in video)

DAY 3 â?? OFF

DAY 4 â?? BACK/TRI

T-bar row machine
Lat pulldown â?? focus on good form and full range of motion with-out cheating widest grip
Cable row â?? lean and rock into them without using momentum for full stretch good form
reverse grip pull up 2 sets burnout (optional)
Rope tricep extension good form high rep GET HUGE PUMP 3x12-20
hammer strength dips focus on triceps try not to use the chest)
pjr pullovers

Day 5 â?? Legs
Leg press (3x10)
Squat (3x5)
Deadlift (3x5-8)
hamstring curl
calves 6 sets (3 seated 3 standing anywhere between 10-25 reps)

Day 6 â?? OFF

Day 7 - Repeat

on shoulder days and leg days I do sprints post workout or later in the day 60 seconds sprint 120 seconds walking on treadmill, (if outside 30 seconds sprint 60 seconds walk)

and since I have a month of from school I just started doing AM 60 minute walks with small meal on chest/bi and back tri days.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
I wana know how u got small![/quote]

lol like how I’ve lost bodyfat recently?

More impressed with you the more I see, Paulie!

One of the BIG things I find appealing is your sense of humor and joy with it all.
Some guys tend to take themselves and bodybuilding too seriously.

No one said it would be easy, but you’ve shown it can be done with hard work AND a smile.

PMA~!

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

lol like how I’ve lost bodyfat recently?[/quote]

Yup, im kinda stuck between the before and after of ur pics!

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

Yup, im kinda stuck between the before and after of ur pics![/quote]

okay so me cutting and you cutting will probably be two different things as I knew I was making a slow and gradual change for the long haul. Not saying your not, but I didn’t just decide to do a quick 3=6 month cut like most would have done to lose 30-40lbs.

I also cannot give away too much information because I signed an agreement with my Coach
IFPA RJ Perkins.

At first I did a month of IF but I didn’t like it.

the rest of my cut was a very typical fairly normal cut with a basic carb cycling/refeed approach like anyone would do.

seriously it’s such a simple plan that you could probably develop on your own and I’m sure this will change as I get lower in bf.

And towards the beginning of the cut he had me eating more carbs than I’ve ever eaten in my entire life. I think my lowest days were like 400g this has gone down considerably but it was nice in the beginning

If you want shoot him an e-mail he is so ridiculously cheap, I don’t have a job and I can still afford to use him as a coach.

mr_aestheticz@yahoo.com

http://www.facebook.com/search/results.php?q=Abby%20Allen&type=users&init=quick&tas=0.5457629872564554&search_first_focus=1355862915262#!/ifpaprorjperkins?fref=ts

http://ifpaprorjperkins.net/
mr_aestheticz@yahoo.com

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

Yup, im kinda stuck between the before and after of ur pics![/quote]

okay so me cutting and you cutting will probably be two different things as I knew I was making a slow and gradual change for the long haul. Not saying your not, but I didn’t just decide to do a quick 3=6 month cut like most would have done to lose 30-40lbs.

I also cannot give away too much information because I signed an agreement with my Coach
IFPA RJ Perkins.

At first I did a month of IF but I didn’t like it.

the rest of my cut was a very typical fairly normal cut with a basic carb cycling/refeed approach like anyone would do.

seriously it’s such a simple plan that you could probably develop on your own and I’m sure this will change as I get lower in bf.

And towards the beginning of the cut he had me eating more carbs than I’ve ever eaten in my entire life. I think my lowest days were like 400g this has gone down considerably but it was nice in the beginning

If you want shoot him an e-mail he is so ridiculously cheap, I don’t have a job and I can still afford to use him as a coach.

mr_aestheticz@yahoo.com

http://www.facebook.com/search/results.php?q=Abby%20Allen&type=users&init=quick&tas=0.5457629872564554&search_first_focus=1355862915262#!/ifpaprorjperkins?fref=ts

http://ifpaprorjperkins.net/
mr_aestheticz@yahoo.com[/quote]

I don’t think there is anything fancy about cutting until maybe 2 weeks out from a show.

Does having a coach help significantly? What were the biggest differences in your diet/training from having a coach vs. not?

I’m meeting up with an old buddy of mine when I go back to Oregon for the holidays who is a competitive BBer, so I want to sorta know what to expect.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
More impressed with you the more I see, Paulie!

One of the BIG things I find appealing is your sense of humor and joy with it all.
Some guys tend to take themselves and bodybuilding too seriously.

No one said it would be easy, but you’ve shown it can be done with hard work AND a smile.

PMA~!
[/quote]

Iron Dwarf, you are awesome…sauce.

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

Does having a coach help significantly? What were the biggest differences in your diet/training from having a coach vs. not?
[/quote]

The biggest advantage for me is that I had the fat guy perma bulk complex.

I spent a lot of time just making sure I got “bigger” at any cost. When you spend a lot of time doing this it’s hard to watch yourself shrink even though you know in the end you will look much better. Because at times it seems as though you are getting “smaller” without looking much better.

This is where a coach was important in my situation. Dealing with my hormones out of wack and a stressful life in the military there were times I wanted to lose it.
If I were doing this my self I probably would have rebounded or re-fed way too often, changed my strategy or given up without somebody to tell me to chill the fuck out and help to make adjustments for me.

I would definitely reccomend anyone cutting for their first time after a permabulk to get a coach.

EDIT: this video explains the mindset well for those of you that have gotten too heavy.

You’ll look good if you get lean. Do it.

[quote]bugeishaAD wrote:
You’ll look good if you get lean. Do it.[/quote]

Agreed

[quote]bugeishaAD wrote:

[quote]kingbeef323 wrote:

Agreed[/quote]

Like single digit lean or just 10-12% lean?

[quote]bugeishaAD wrote:

btw you are looking sick in your new profile pic man

Paulie i am a big fan. It is really refreshing to see your smile, pink look, and joie de vivre.
You should be sponsored by this site.

You are worth a sticky ! ! !

Thanks so much for your generosity.

PS. Go for half digit !

Go advice mate cheers. Glad someone is saying it how it is!