T Nation

Darwin: Back to Basics

What a rough ride over the past month or so. It started with a back injury that kept me out of the gym for most of that time; that really sucked. I kept my diet as regulated as possible, and kind of maintained during this short period.

Now, I’ve been cleared for lifting again, as long as I’m extra careful with my back, and I decided to go back to basics. When I started, I was doing Starting Strength and I was on the Anabolic diet. Both worked well, but I started thinking I could get away with moving on from there - boy was I wrong.

So, I’m back on the AD, and I’m back in the gym M/W/F for SS, and T/Th for HIIT.

Starting Weight (9/8/08): 197 lbs
Starting Body Fat: ~17% (I will be tested on thursday)

Goal is 10 - 12 % body fat; get a handle on the love handles before I start a bulk in proper.

So, here goes!

Back to Basics

Week 1

Monday, 9/8/2008

SQUAT: 225x5, 225x5, 225x3

MILPRESS: 85x5, 85x4, 85x3

BB ROWS: 135x5, 135x5, 135x5

PULLUPS: 70%BWx5, 70%BWx3, 70%BWx1

NOTES: I was pleasantly surprised to see that I haven’t slipped that much from my old numbers. The last set of squats had me beat, but I’m sure muscle memory will kick in and I’ll be progressing rapidly there for a bit. Milpress has always been my enemy, but again, I was quite surprised at what I could still lift.

I need a nap. :slight_smile:

Back to Basics

Week 1

Tuesday, 9/9/2008

Went for a long walk with the dog this morning. I know it’s not HIIT, but I’m glad I did it - several things have hit the fan at work, so I’m a bit busy. At least I got my cardio in!! I’m not going to be too picky about it being HIIT or steady-state (as long as I’m doing something on my cardio day).

Glad to see you back at it!

keep it up son