T Nation

DarkSide (NightClub Idea) FeedBack

So we have come up with the idea of taking our underground party house to the mainstream, bringing the Rave style club scene to the masses

the plan is to open up “Darkside” which will include live Trance music legal botanicals and all the exploits of the Rave life (within the legal limts) to futher enlighten the masses and add the “Vampiritic Appeal” to the mix

“Vampiritic Appeal” is the mixing of styles full spectrum with a little sinful seduction thrown in-not over the top vampire, but enough to realize that youre in a completely unique space

there are in total 7 of us who are willing to put cash into this wihich totals around 250k

between us there are no business degrees, we are all psych students

so if there are any successful club/bar/business owners on this site can y’all guide us in this adventure on

what works, what doesnt
basically any help\

also, if youre not a business owner, give feedback on your opinions abot this type of club

would you come?

Thanks alot!

Your Immortal

Rockula

p.s. I understand that clubs like this exist, but not any in Ohio, and the ones that are up and running are underground. we just want to bring this to the mainstream

Actually sounds like a good idea. The Bar/club I work at is the #1 in the area and the #2 is a goth club, sort of like what you are describing I assume, and they are only open 1 night a week. We are open 4 nights as are all the other clubs in the area and we are barely beating a club that is only open 1/4th as much.

So the idea you are presenting seems to be pretty popular, good luck.

All I would say is good luck. It’s hard starting a business and even harder in this economy. Almost impossible. Just know your partners and hopefully you can trust them.

1. LOL at ‘We’re all psych majors’.

2. I’m impressed you put up $250k between 7 people. Very impressed.

3. The way you describe ‘vampiritic appeal’ is very professional. Short, slick, and using a bunch of marketing jargon. You’re a natural. I’m not sure if that’s a compliment.

4. The idea itself sounds like it would work. I don’t have any experience with this sort of thing, but fortunately you do- all you’re doing is bringing the same business plan/idea/party-thing to a more visible locale. I say go for it. The worst that could happen is you learn something.

Location, location, location.

The closer you are to public transportation, the better.

The closer you are to good food, the better.

If people basically have to drive to get to your club, it will be an issue.

sounds good

i would go.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
sounds good

i would go.[/quote]

x2,

but I actually will go. I’m in Ohio for Uni.
whereabouts you thinking ?

BP

1. Know your location like the back of your hand.

2. Know your competition, both local (location oriented) and theme-wise (looks like there isn’t any)

3. Don’t throw money at problems if you can put some sweat and blood into it to fix them. Most all small businesses that start up fail because they are under-capitalized and/or use those funds in-efficiently.

be nice to your security

One of the biggest concerns if something bad were to happen such as someone dying in the club due to illegal drugs or someone getting injured. There could be some liability there, this is where insurance comes in and is extremely important. There have been cases where insurance still does not cover all the claims and it comes out of the owners pockets.

It would be an EXTREMELY good idea to incorporate and form an LLC. It’s not hard to do at all. You can do it directly yourself and just follow directions, no lawyer or accountant needed (this is just for the formation). Read up on it and you’ll see why it is a good idea.

I’d become an expert in the bar/night club industry before I spent any cash. By this I mean try to figure out what makes them flourish or fail, etc. If you know anyone who runs a successful bar it would be beneficial to sit down with them. Probably not a bad idea to locate it closely next to a college (although land will be worth more near there).

Yes, I’d come, but the key is to have people keep coming back.

I’ve always wanted to open up a bar/club right by a college. I’d call it “Coug’s”.

Drink specials for guys with college ID’s and for single women over 35.

[quote]ElbowStrike wrote:
I’ve always wanted to open up a bar/club right by a college. I’d call it “Coug’s”.

Drink specials for guys with college ID’s and for single women over 35.[/quote]

I see what your doing here

I’ve always wanted to open up a bar/club right by a college. I’d call it “Sabretooths”.

Drink specials for guys with college ID’s and for single women over 65.

I’d go if it were actually more of a ‘rave’ club rather than just a club. I can’t stand cheese house and cheese trance.
However, if you put a club together focused mostly on the rave scene, and had a room for Drum & Bass, I’d so be there.

OK first off when you run a club you need connections to get people to play there. Special nights where if your going on trance or psy-trance or what ever your doing. You need big name headliners. Local DJ’s will not cut it.

Next you need a sound system that is very very very good. Most people don’t know that when you hear trance it has to be on a world class system or else you miss nearly half the sounds.

Next is lighting and atmosphere. If you want to get your place bang’n you need some kinda visual stimulus.

Make sure your place has parking. Nothing worst then a club that does not have parking near by.

I am not sure about in the states but here you need a liquor license to run a bar. If you get your license taken away your out of biz. Unless of course you make your money selling insider party favors.

Also people are really naive about this. But your going to step on someone toes. And if they are connected to any type of mobsters/bikers. You need permission from them to be up and running. If your not sure who this might be, I am pretty sure they will contact you and arrangements will be made.

If I can think of more I will let you know.

IMO 7 people is be too many, unless some are content to be sleeping partners. I’m thinking of starting a business between 2 or 3 people this year, and am already apprehensive about everyone wanting to take the business in different directions, know what I mean?

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
Actually sounds like a good idea. The Bar/club I work at is the #1 in the area and the #2 is a goth club, sort of like what you are describing I assume, and they are only open 1 night a week. We are open 4 nights as are all the other clubs in the area and we are barely beating a club that is only open 1/4th as much.

So the idea you are presenting seems to be pretty popular, good luck.[/quote]

Thanks brother

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
All I would say is good luck. It’s hard starting a business and even harder in this economy. Almost impossible. Just know your partners and hopefully you can trust them. [/quote]

understood, in my city/state just about everything is closing up right now, we are trying to pump some life back into this place because its a snore and young people leave because there’s nothing to do-without young people you cannot maintain any type of industry, ya know?

the ultimate plan is to open trance clubs around Ohio after this one takes hold

btw. vertical smoke machines that shoot down from the ceiling give me mad boners when ‘rave’ music is playing.

[quote]Otep wrote:

1. LOL at ‘We’re all psych majors’.

2. I’m impressed you put up $250k between 7 people. Very impressed.

3. The way you describe ‘vampiritic appeal’ is very professional. Short, slick, and using a bunch of marketing jargon. You’re a natural. I’m not sure if that’s a compliment.

4. The idea itself sounds like it would work. I don’t have any experience with this sort of thing, but fortunately you do- all you’re doing is bringing the same business plan/idea/party-thing to a more visible locale. I say go for it. The worst that could happen is you learn something.[/quote]

with us being psych majors, we have a passion for messing with people’s heads lol, that’s one of the reason why we think “vampiritic appeal” is a good idea, we understand that everyone has a DarkSide" to them, but people arent willing to explore that part because they feel its too taboo-so mixing it up with some mainstream will influence them to take the plunge into the life- even if its only once or twice a month

putting people in a state where they think they are doing something wrong is when they are most excited, and if you can keep up the dangerous/dark mindset you can keep up the excitement

we love breaking rules,comfort zones, and mixing extremes

between our group, there is so musch diveristy

" we rock and got people from Ghetto to Heavy Metal"