Dark Knight Rises Spoiler Edition

[quote]roybot wrote:
The pit was a metaphorical representation of Ra’s Al Ghul’s Lazarus Pit: escape certain death, return to life. Loved that. [/quote]

NICE, hadn’t quite made that connection

Some of the story issues I had was that originally Ra wanted to destroy Gotham because it was so evil, corrupt and unable to be saved. Bruce felt differently. Ra didnt give Bruce a change, he wanted to watch Gotham burn. BUT by the time Bane and Ra’s daughter set out to destory Gotham, the city is fine…In fact, its so good they make a joke that there are no real crimes, no organized crime (thanks to harvey) and that they may have to give out sitations for J walking or something. So why come back and live out your dead fathers dream?..It just didnt fit.

what also didnt fit was Batman lying about the autopilot. He told everyone right at the end that he was going to go out like a saint, and even lied to catwoman about no autopilot. He lied to everyone that knew he would live through it anyways…They did that for plot twist. As the Batplane blew up though, my heart sank, so it worked. I thought for a moment that maybe Blake (Robin) would take over as Batman because they kept repeating Ra’s dialogue about how you have to great an ideal and become greater than a man, become a symbol.

Bane never intended on surviving. I thought his exit should have been way more played out, he took a round to the chest, any sniper could have done the same. No one fights with guns in Gotham just hand to hand. For such a bad ass he should have gone down like a champ. Not by the catwoman :frowning:

Batman survived a nuclear explosion because…wait for it…hes fucking batman!! and its a fictional movie about superheros!! Suspend reality for amount tiger and just let it happen. Thats like watching superman and being like “psshhh!! no way! No one can fly, thats just stupid.”

I dont think there will be a 4th film. This retard from Co ruined it. It hasnt been 24 hours and we dont know the impact this will have yet. He hasnt even talked yet but he has a hearing in a week already, its been scheduled. Nolan didnt bring up the joker out of respect for Heath. Out of respect of 12 people dying and 50 other lives ruined I bet they will all decline to do another. I hope though, that I am wrong. 13 people have died from this triology. Crazy.

DB you are saying the the Hughes movie and the Book you recommend are the same person just different time periods right?

[quote]hipsr4runnin wrote:
DB you are saying the the Hughes movie and the Book you recommend are the same person just different time periods right?[/quote]

No, the book only covers the time period from Hughes’ initial move to Vegas around 1966, all the way up to his death in…1975, I believe. By the time Hughes arrived in Vegas he was already completely whacked out of his gourd from his massive codeine and emperin addiction, combined with his OCD.

This is the Hughes who, all from his penthouse suite, managed to buy off several politicians, including Hubert Humphrey, Paul Laxalt, Harry Reid and of course, Richard Nixon, which is what set off the whole Watergate break-in. The book does not get into his life as a pilot or movie producer or any of that other shit. Basically, imagine the scene in The Aviator where DiCaprio is locked in a private theater for a month. Now, multiply that by about a billion, add in the corruption/purchasing of several major political figures and a net worth of about $1.5 billion (in 1966 money) and that’s what the book is. It is absolutely the wildest thing I’ve ever read in my life and I was beyond ecstatic when I heard that Nolan was planning a film version. I couldn’t think of any director who would be better. I’m just glad that Oliver Stone didn’t get his hands on the movie rights. Early rumors are that Jim Carrey will be playing Hughes, although most early rumors about characters in Nolan’s films have proven to be inaccurate.

edit: but, yes, the Hughes I’m talking about (who is in the book I mentioned and will be the focus of Nolan’s film) is the same person who was portrayed by DiCaprio in The Aviator. I think that movie stopped around 1949 or 1950.

Nolan has a tendency to throw in little snippets throughout his films that hint at things but are just intended to provoke the audience’s imagination. Take the Joker card at the end of Batman Begins. Most people forget that Nolan was still an unproven director in terms of action films and movies with larger budgets back then. That’s why Begins had a budget much smaller than the next two films; studio execs weren’t convinced he would succeed and weren’t going to greenlight a lot of cash yet. Nolan wasn’t even guaranteed to direct a sequel since there wasn’t even any indication that there would be one in the first place. If Begins had failed or performed poorly, there never would have been TDK. So when the Joker card is referenced Nolan had no idea there would even be a chance to explore that possibility. It was simply there for provocation.

Same thing with Inception’s last scene. When the top just spins and spins and then the film ends, it’s just to provoke us and keep us thinking about the possibilities. I think it was a trick that also lent itself well toward getting people to go back for a 2nd viewing.

In TDK, the cat reference was most likely something that Nolan just threw in there for the hell of it at the time. I’m pretty sure he hadn’t decided on any villains for the final film at that point, let alone what the final installment would be about.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Early rumors are that Jim Carrey will be playing Hughes, although most early rumors about characters in Nolan’s films have proven to be inaccurate.[/quote]

It would be nice to see another Nolan/ Guy Pearce collaboration.

Yeah they have fake posters for Pearce as the Riddler I think? Those seemed cool and I almost shit a brick. That would have been amazing…

Rises didnt leave any hints at villians though did it?? Everything kind of ended on the up and up, no?

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Early rumors are that Jim Carrey will be playing Hughes, although most early rumors about characters in Nolan’s films have proven to be inaccurate.[/quote]

It would be nice to see another Nolan/ Guy Pearce collaboration.[/quote]

Oooooohhhhh, I never thought of Pearce. I had thought of perhaps an older actor since Hughes is at least into his 60’s when the book starts. But I couldn’t think of anyone who would be a good fit aside from Clint Eastwood. It’s important that the actor have height because Hughes was 6’4" and only about 120 lbs when he was living in Vegas. I don’t know tall Pearce is, but he definitely has the build otherwise to pull it off from a physical standpoint. He’s also an excellent actor. I loved him in Memento and LA Confidential.

I also thought of Adrien Brody for some reason.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
If they make a Robin movie, the villain will be Killer Croc.[/quote]

Why?[/quote]

In every installment so far Nolan has dropped hints. In TDK Wayne asks Fox if the new armor can protect against dogs, and Fox replies “it’ll work against cats”. Then, when the Wayne Enterprise employee was trying to blackmail Wayne he asks “…what’s next, a rocket ship”? Those are two pretty obvious references to cat woman and the Bat, respectively.

Don’t remember who said it, but when running through the sewers he said “he asked if I saw any giant crocodiles”. There was no point to that purge than a subtle hint.[/quote]
There won’t be a sequel to this movie. Nolan has stated about a million times that this is it for him as far as Batman films go, and he also made very clear that he would NEVER be involved in a Batman project involving Robin. So I doubt that he will turn around and not only make another film, but make it with Robin in it.

Perhaps some other director will come along and pick up on something Nolan left open-ended, but I doubt he’ll actually be involved in the project.

HOWEVER, there was definitely a not-so-subtle reference to one of his upcoming projects; a biopic about Howard Hughes. Not the HH from The Aviator, but the one who spent the last 10-15 years of his life living on a bed in a Vegas penthouse with bottles of his shit and piss all around him. The film will be based on a book by Michael Drosnin called Citizen Hughes that I’ve recommended on this site in the past, and I again HIGHLY recommend the book. It looks like Nolan semi-practiced the idea on Bruce Wayne first.[/quote]

Well, what you just wrote went out the window 'cause he literally JUST DID a project with Robin in it. He’s also been quoted as saying he’d never use catwoman and only use characters that hadn’t been used before. Looks like he says a lot.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]IFlashBack wrote:

→ I feel that the “Pit” element was slightly far fetched. Gets beat up by Bane, goes to the pit. Wakes up, FULLY Recovers, and does something that only one other person has been able to do. And manages to come back to Gotham. All in what, a week?
[/quote]

He was down there for several months. [/quote]

Ah.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

Why?[/quote]

In every installment so far Nolan has dropped hints. In TDK Wayne asks Fox if the new armor can protect against dogs, and Fox replies “it’ll work against cats”. Then, when the Wayne Enterprise employee was trying to blackmail Wayne he asks “…what’s next, a rocket ship”? Those are two pretty obvious references to cat woman and the Bat, respectively.

Don’t remember who said it, but when running through the sewers he said “he asked if I saw any giant crocodiles”. There was no point to that purge than a subtle hint.[/quote]
There won’t be a sequel to this movie. Nolan has stated about a million times that this is it for him as far as Batman films go, and he also made very clear that he would NEVER be involved in a Batman project involving Robin. So I doubt that he will turn around and not only make another film, but make it with Robin in it.

Perhaps some other director will come along and pick up on something Nolan left open-ended, but I doubt he’ll actually be involved in the project.

HOWEVER, there was definitely a not-so-subtle reference to one of his upcoming projects; a biopic about Howard Hughes. Not the HH from The Aviator, but the one who spent the last 10-15 years of his life living on a bed in a Vegas penthouse with bottles of his shit and piss all around him. The film will be based on a book by Michael Drosnin called Citizen Hughes that I’ve recommended on this site in the past, and I again HIGHLY recommend the book. It looks like Nolan semi-practiced the idea on Bruce Wayne first.[/quote]

Well, what hou nust wrote went out the window 'cause he literally JUST DID a project with Robin in it. He’s also been quoted as saying he’d never use catwoman and only use characters that hadn’t been used before. Looks like he says a lot.
[/quote]
I didn’t see Robin of Batman yore in the film, did you? I saw some guy whose birth name is Robin and likes spelunking and rappelling. I didn’t see a superhero. As far as the Catwoman thing, Nolan wasn’t nearly as adamant about that point as he has been about any more sequels. Besides, technically Catwoman was never mentioned in the movie, only Selina Kyle. I hope I’m wrong though. I could definitely see him doing something along the lines of Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns, but I think in a way the ending of Rises was a bit of an homage to that comic anyways. Definitely more of an homage to that comic than a possible opening for a future film with Robin in it.

Anyways,

just got got back from seeing it and I’m not quite sure how I feel about it. I mean, it was a great film but I’ll need to see it a second time to really know how I feel.

To be honest though, I actually thought Bane had a bit too much screen time. I watched The Dark Knight the other day and tonight I realised that aside from Ledger’s incredible performance, it was his lack of screen time that made him so alluring. I thought Hardy did a stellar job but we saw so much of him that his presence became a bit diminished, less intimidating.

On the other hand, I thought the inclusion of Catwoman would ruin it but Selina Kyle was a great addition and Hathaway really played her well.

The only thing that really irked me was that Talia took out a remote detonator to trigger the explosion. But it was set to blow up like ten minutes later anyway so why bother…? A minor flaw though in a great movie. I really started to enjoy it a lot more when I started to think of it as it’s own movie and not TDK sequel

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

Oooooohhhhh, I never thought of Pearce. I had thought of perhaps an older actor since Hughes is at least into his 60’s when the book starts. But I couldn’t think of anyone who would be a good fit aside from Clint Eastwood. It’s important that the actor have height because Hughes was 6’4" and only about 120 lbs when he was living in Vegas. I don’t know tall Pearce is, but he definitely has the build otherwise to pull it off from a physical standpoint. He’s also an excellent actor. I loved him in Memento and LA Confidential.

I also thought of Adrien Brody for some reason.[/quote]

Pearce is a touch under 6’ but has recent experience playing a very old man…James Cromwell is of an age to play Hughes, and has the talent and physicality to play him, even if he doesn’t resemble him facially.

Oldman would kill it regardless.

If all else fails they should call in Guillermo Del Toro’s boy Doug Jones.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

Pearce is a touch under 6’ but has recent experience playing a very old man…James Cromwell is of an age to play Hughes, and has the talent and physicality to play him, even if he doesn’t resemble him facially.

If all else fails they should call in Guillermo Del Toro’s boy Doug Jones. [/quote]

As long as Christopher Plummer isn’t the guy.

You know, I think it bears note that Hardy ended up looking big enough for the part. I know a lot of people were worried that he’d look too small, but I thought that when all was said and done, he looked very menacing and certainly commanded attention during his scenes because of the sheer physicality of the role. He definitely looked bigger than Batman and I thought Nolan did a good job of making Hardy look taller than Bale.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

Why?[/quote]

Well, what hou nust wrote went out the window 'cause he literally JUST DID a project with Robin in it. He’s also been quoted as saying he’d never use catwoman and only use characters that hadn’t been used before. Looks like he says a lot.
[/quote]
I didn’t see Robin of Batman yore in the film, did you? I saw some guy whose birth name is Robin and likes spelunking and rappelling. I didn’t see a superhero. As far as the Catwoman thing, Nolan wasn’t nearly as adamant about that point as he has been about any more sequels. Besides, technically Catwoman was never mentioned in the movie, only Selina Kyle. I hope I’m wrong though. I could definitely see him doing something along the lines of Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns, but I think in a way the ending of Rises was a bit of an homage to that comic anyways. Definitely more of an homage to that comic than a possible opening for a future film with Robin in it.[/quote]

You’re joking, right? Batman was grooming a kid with a middle name of Robin to be his heir, and they called Kyle [who dressed in a fucking skin tight cat costume] a cat burgler, I don’t know, 50,000 times. I have no idea how you’re trying to argue this, but here we are.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

If all else fails they should call in Guillermo Del Toro’s boy Doug Jones. [/quote]

As long as Christopher Plummer isn’t the guy.

You know, I think it bears note that Hardy ended up looking big enough for the part. I know a lot of people were worried that he’d look too small, but I thought that when all was said and done, he looked very menacing and certainly commanded attention during his scenes because of the sheer physicality of the role. He definitely looked bigger than Batman and I thought Nolan did a good job of making Hardy look taller than Bale.[/quote]

I never had any doubt in Hardy’s ability to intimidate-- even without the build. People only seem to remember him from Bronson onwards, though his evil Picard was better than James McAvoy’s Professor X (and I’m a fan of McAvoy). Hardy thought that Nolan asked him to play Bane after he saw him in Bronson, but Nolan told him he’d never seen it and that it was his performance in RocknRolla that convinced him.

Wow. Honestly kind of shocked to see all of the negativity here. I saw the first showing of the day at 11:30 a.m. with two friends, had an ear-to-ear grin walking out of the theater, and haven’t stopped smiling since. I loved it, and I can’t wait to see it again this weekend. It was everything I wanted out of a sequel and more.

I generally don’t analyze movies a whole heck of a lot to decide whether or not I like them. I just kind of go with my gut reaction when it’s over. And, as I said, I definitely walked out of this one very happy. Maybe I’m just shallow! Ha.

At any rate, despite what I said above regarding my gut reaction in determining whether or not I like a movie, I didn’t mean to imply that I never reflect on what I’ve seen. I do analyze things purely from a story standpoint (I just don’t “take time to decide” whether or not I liked a movie). On that note, one thing I did question to my friends after this movie was over was this: wasn’t it kind of odd that Wayne learned a pretty major plot point - the fact that Ra’s al Ghul had a kid (despite him thinking it was Bane and not Talia at the time of finding out) - from what was essentially a “ghost” (as Ra’s obviously wasn’t really there) somewhat odd, given Nolan’s penchant for reality in the Batman movies?

This did not make me like the movie any less. Just something I definitely noticed as peculiar.

Bane was incredibly undermined by presenting him as basically a 2nd in command

Loved the ending though and hope Nolan never comes back to the series

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

Why?[/quote]

[/quote]
I didn’t see Robin of Batman yore in the film, did you? I saw some guy whose birth name is Robin and likes spelunking and rappelling. I didn’t see a superhero. As far as the Catwoman thing, Nolan wasn’t nearly as adamant about that point as he has been about any more sequels. Besides, technically Catwoman was never mentioned in the movie, only Selina Kyle. I hope I’m wrong though. I could definitely see him doing something along the lines of Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns, but I think in a way the ending of Rises was a bit of an homage to that comic anyways. Definitely more of an homage to that comic than a possible opening for a future film with Robin in it.[/quote]

You’re joking, right? Batman was grooming a kid with a middle name of Robin to be his heir, and they called Kyle [who dressed in a fucking skin tight cat costume] a cat burgler, I don’t know, 50,000 times. I have no idea how you’re trying to argue this, but here we are.[/quote]

The Catwoman comment was tongue-in-cheek, but the Robin part was not. Robin, the Boy Wonder, was not in this film. The character of Robin isn’t even named John Blake or anything close, other than the third Robin being named Tim Drake.

Were their allusions to the Robin character? Of course. But they were just that, allusions. If he had found out that the guy’s name was really Dick instead of Robin it might be a little more feasible. But Gordon-Levitt’s character could go on to do anything after the events in this film. Maybe he goes on to become Robin, maybe he doesn’t. Maybe he’s Nightwing. Maybe he turns the Batcave into a rock climbing park for orphaned children.

That’s what Nolan does. He leaves things open-ended for you and I to fill in with our own imagination, not as a possible jumping-off point for a future sequel. Personally, I think if there was any intention on Nolan’s part for Gordon-Levitt to be a possible Robin character Wayne would have let him know he was alive as a means of possibly mentoring him, much like he did with the Robin character in the comics. Batman never just let Robin go off and do his own thing without him, especially when Robin was younger. It’s what got Jason Todd killed.

The point though is that Nolan didn’t put anything in there definitively one way or the other. Keep in mind that Robin is totally dependent on the wealth of Wayne, which the character in the film had no access to.

Few things to answer to a few questions:
-Batman was in the pit for 84+ days. When he see’s the tv it says Day 84 of Chaos or whatever and that was before his first jump attempt.
-Bane was in love with Talia to a point that he would have done anything for her, presumably die as well, unless he had another plan.
-Killer Croc was Dee-bo in TDK. He won’t be coming back in a “Robin” installment in a Nolan film.
-Batman hadn’t trained in 8 years practically when he and Bane fought the first time. The second time, Batman had trained for a few months in the pit, plus figured out how to defeat Bane by damaging his mask, thus making him weak.

Things I liked:
-Bringing back Crane. That was a good scene. Although I didn’t get why they showed Bane with the string as if he was going to strangle one of them then nothing happens.
-The twist was good, although if you paid attention you could have figured out the Robin thing.
-Bane’s physique. Not ripped, not jacked, but not normal.
-Raz’s back story. The trilogy was centered around the LoS the entire time, or at least had to be with Ledger’s death. It would have been interesting to see where the series would had gone if Ledger was alive.
-The assumption Wayne fixed the autopilot after speaking about it 2x in the film. He got off his proverbial lazy ass and actually used his mind for something.

Things I didn’t like:
-Bane’s voice. Hard to understand, could have been more menancing.
-Bane’s death. Easily could have been Batman ripping his mask off and letting him wrath in pain, or something else similar. Not just take a blast to the chest from the cat.
-Bane was a little boring to me. I was intrigued at first, but wanted to see more of his power on scene. He didn’t command the scenes he was in after breaking the bat’s back. With Ledger, every time he was on scene you were solely focused on him, on what he would do.

I am sure there are other things but they don’t come to mind right now. I did like TDKR, but I think atm I am more partial to TDK. I will have to see it a few more times.