Dark Chocolate After Lifting

I tried something different last night and got dark (88% cocoa) chocolate after I lifted, along with a bunch of chicken breast, a small lunchable (lol), and tea. For some reason I felt very satiated with the dark chocolate. I have read that it has lots of trace minerals (and relatively low in calories), perhaps that will contribute to satiation?

Has anyone used dark chocolate as a post workout “supplement” with protein.

I’ve drunk alot of raw cacao drinks in the past, and i can tell you it’s filled with good stuff, like minerals and pretty huge amounts of anti-oxidants. It’s said to lower insulin resistance and blood pressure.

Dark chocolate is never a bad idea, at any time. The end.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Dark chocolate is never a bad idea, at any time. The end.[/quote]

I’ve become a fan of the really high % stuff… oh man.

100% raw cocao (often spelled cacao) powder added to just about any protein drink (though maybe not Plazma or MAG-10…, but definitely to Metabolic Drive) is an everyday go-to for me. There is even some evidence (suggestive, but not conclusive at this point) that the (-)-epicatechin in cocoa powder is beneficial to muscle-building. Lots of evidence that it’s beneficial to lowering insulin resistance. And very high amounts of essential minerals, esp. magnesium.

You know what I liked too, is that it is very soothing on the stomach. As somebody who gets stomach aches frequently, rice and this stuff is very helpful for relieving pain.

I think I’ll keep eating it then and apparently it was a good idea to listen to my body when it was telling me I was craving chocolate like a woman on her period.

I eat about 25 grams of 85% dark chocolate five days a week. There are a lot of good studies done on it.

Dark Chocolate Intake Buffers Stress Reactivity in Humans - Dark Chocolate Intake Buffers Stress Reactivity in Humans | Journal of the American College of Cardiology

Chocolate and the brain: neurobiological impact of cocoa flavanols on cognition and behavior. - Chocolate and the brain: neurobiological impact of cocoa flavanols on cognition and behavior - PubMed

There’s A Shocking Connection Between Eating More Chocolate And Winning The Nobel Prize - Chocolate Consumption Vs. Nobel Prizes

The Acute Electrocortical and Blood Pressure Effects of Chocolate - The Acute Electrocortical and Blood Pressure Effects of Chocolate | NeuroRegulation

I often sneak in a piece of 90% chocolate into my pre-WO meal if I don’t have time to brew myself an espresso.

Good stuff.

tweet

[quote]dbickley wrote:
100% raw cocao (often spelled cacao) powder added to just about any protein drink (though maybe not Plazma or MAG-10…, but definitely to Metabolic Drive) is an everyday go-to for me. There is even some evidence (suggestive, but not conclusive at this point) that the (-)-epicatechin in cocoa powder is beneficial to muscle-building. Lots of evidence that it’s beneficial to lowering insulin resistance. And very high amounts of essential minerals, esp. magnesium.[/quote]

I’ve read a study where (-)-epicatechin was found to inhibit myostatin, also a study where milk inhibited the uptake of anti-oxidants in tea, so maybe it’s better to not put it in protein shakes that contain milk.

[quote]Odin338 wrote:

I’ve read a study where (-)-epicatechin was found to inhibit myostatin, also a study where milk inhibited the uptake of anti-oxidants in tea, so maybe it’s better to not put it in protein shakes that contain milk.[/quote]

Yes, since (-)-epicatechin may inhibit myostatin, that’s why it’s suggestive that it may be beneficial to muscle-building (since myostatin has been shown to inhibit muscle growth). I believe further research is needed to prove anything conclusively though on the muscle-building benefits of (-)-epicatechin, even if the initial study or studies appear positive. As for the study on milk and tea, did it specifically analyze milk proteins (whey and casein) alone, as would exist in a protein shake like Metabolic Drive or a pure whey protein isolate? Or was it studying milk in general? There are many questions to ask about a study like that before it could be extrapolated to a very different group of nutrients. Not saying you’re wrong to be cautious or take note, but I’m not myself familiar with the study you’re mentioning so I can’t evaluate it one way or the other. I also realize that some people may add milk to a protein shake, though since I don’t it didn’t really occur to me to be a potential issue. So thanks for pointing that out!

Ori Hofmekler and Chad Waterbury talk about using a good cacao chocolate as a pre-WO food for its NO benefits.

[quote]dbickley wrote:

[quote]Odin338 wrote:

I’ve read a study where (-)-epicatechin was found to inhibit myostatin, also a study where milk inhibited the uptake of anti-oxidants in tea, so maybe it’s better to not put it in protein shakes that contain milk.[/quote]

Yes, since (-)-epicatechin may inhibit myostatin, that’s why it’s suggestive that it may be beneficial to muscle-building (since myostatin has been shown to inhibit muscle growth). I believe further research is needed to prove anything conclusively though on the muscle-building benefits of (-)-epicatechin, even if the initial study or studies appear positive. As for the study on milk and tea, did it specifically analyze milk proteins (whey and casein) alone, as would exist in a protein shake like Metabolic Drive or a pure whey protein isolate? Or was it studying milk in general? There are many questions to ask about a study like that before it could be extrapolated to a very different group of nutrients. Not saying you’re wrong to be cautious or take note, but I’m not myself familiar with the study you’re mentioning so I can’t evaluate it one way or the other. I also realize that some people may add milk to a protein shake, though since I don’t it didn’t really occur to me to be a potential issue. So thanks for pointing that out![/quote]

I believe they did the study with green tea and added milk to it, further details i’m not sure of, also can’t seem to find the study anymore.

The Theobromine and Arginine in raw cacao and high % chocolate also make it great for pumps. The Theophylline opens up the airways which is also pretty good.

Several years ago I went on a cocoa powder kick with my pre- and post-workout nutrition. If I recall, I was adding a few tablespoons to chocolate protein shakes before and after my workouts, as well as a couple more times during the day. Good solid pumps but without the pain of back pumps. And the pumps stayed with me 24/7 while I was doing it, guessing it was because of the amount I was taking in. Don’t recall feeling any kind of ergogenic effect, though.

Pretty cheap product too. I used Hershey’s baking cocoa, and even tried the extra dark version for a can or two. That kind of threw the flavor of the shakes, though.

I have a question for you smart people, attention Bill Roberts.

Is it possible to be allergic to chocolate, or something in chocolate ? If I even smell it I start to feel sick. I was not always like this, I used to pound chocolate candy all the time as a kid. Now, I have dry heaved with even a bite of it.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
I have a question for you smart people, attention Bill Roberts.

Is it possible to be allergic to chocolate, or something in chocolate ? If I even smell it I start to feel sick. I was not always like this, I used to pound chocolate candy all the time as a kid. Now, I have dry heaved with even a bite of it. [/quote]

It’s actually pretty rare, however possible. Most people who are “allergic” to chocolate are actually allergic to other ingredients in chocolate.